Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-09, 06:28 PM  
jahra

Exclamation New Pilates Stick dvds

Coming soon, new Pilates Stick dvds. Hopefully, Cadillac and Reformer
dvds,perhaps others too.

Just got a note from Charles saying it will be soon.....

(I just love it when they tease us! )
Old 06-07-09, 08:02 PM  
naturallove

I'm going to HATE myself for asking this..but what is the pilates stick? I've just decided to go for my certification and find myself drawn to all sorts of equipment!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 08:07 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
I'm going to HATE myself for asking this..but what is the pilates stick? I've just decided to go for my certification and find myself drawn to all sorts of equipment!
Red alert - pricey equipment!

http://www.pilatesstick.com/
Old 06-07-09, 08:11 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Red alert - pricey equipment!

http://www.pilatesstick.com/
Thanks..but I'm actually not tempted! (Thank goodness!) Once you've been on a reformer and cadillac, sometimes the substitutes just won't do.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 06:19 AM  
jahra

May be pricey, but one of the best fitness equipment choices
I made. Its portable, sturdy and the workouts are effective.

Wish I had room for the Pilates equipment like a Cadillac and Reformer,
but packing up the PS and carrying it around is alot easier.

If the price is an issue, do a search. A talented VF member made
her own and shared the directions.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me!
Old 07-02-09, 07:46 PM  
Taiga

Any more news on the new DVDs? Can anyone comment on the advanced DVD that is currently available on the website? I wish they would put up clips. Since the set is so pricey, it's hard to find reviewers I made the double mount (shown on the website) last year and it's been great for resistance band work ---- no more doorway limitations. I had planned to make the stick but I was really hoping to get some reviews on the DVDs first. Since I can't seem to trade for any of the DVDs, I'm thinking I might just take the plunge and buy the advanced DVD. But instead of copying the stick exactly, I was sort of thinking that I could combine it into a springboard type of set up. I watched Ellie Herman's Youtube clips and and the moves looked very fun.

I recently purchased Herman's DVD and am hoping to get more design ideas so that I can create something that will accommodate several workouts. After looking at springs, I'll probably stay with slastix because it's much cheaper to build. I do like the feel of springs (totally different) but am happy with the slastix (and it's quieter for early morning workouts).

I would love to hear about the advanced pilatesstick DVD if anyone has experience. Also, I was looking at clips for Stott's Off the Wall Springboard workout. It looked very elementary and kind of dry but it was a pretty short clip. Anybody have this one?
Old 07-03-09, 05:26 AM  
jahra

Hi Taiga,

For the new PS dvds, my understanding is that they are in post
production. I am sure they will update if there is a preorder, so
if you are not on the email list you might like to sign up.
The new dvds should be Cadillac and Reformer type exercises.

To answer your question, I like both of the original dvds. I feel they
are aimed to individuals who already practice pilates. The advanced
dvd is challenging and very effective. It is amazing how adding the
resistance really works you deeper-I felt those ab muscles for days after.

My understanding is that Charles was looking at alternate materials for
the stick as well for a different price point. I like the wooden one, it
is well made and a good weight. Price wise it is way cheaper than a
machine if you want something easily portable.
Old 07-03-09, 09:57 AM  
Flutterby

Taiga, you have me completely intrigued now with those Ellie Herman's clips and dvd! Since I haven't yet started the build on my wall unit for the Pilates Stick, I just might change the design a little to make it more into a springboard w/o the springs ...guess that would make it a tubeboard or maybe a resistanceboard. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage

"The fact that we are so different is our strength." - Jamie Hyneman
Flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 11:56 AM  
Taiga

There are more Ellie Herman clips in case you didn't notice them:

Rowing

Teaser Modified

Roll Backs

She has a book that I plan on ordering if I like the DVD well enough. The DVD is coming on the slow boat from Amazon so I probably won't have it until late next week. In the mean time, I need to decide on ordering the PS DVD so I can get a feel for any extras I need to incorporate into my design. I wonder if the new PS DVDs will attach the stick in different ways. I don't plan on waiting for them either way. I'll just make sure I have plenty of attachment levels to cover all bases.

I know what you mean about decisions.....it's hard to focus because there are so many fun design possibilities! I'm going to show some restraint and try to keep it simple. What amazes me is how inexpensive and simple it is to build this stuff (compared to the market price anyway). I may throw in a few extra dollars eventually if I find myself using the set-up regularly. This roll down bar with springs could make a nice addition to mix things up down the road. I'm staying with friends for the next few months and they have a work shop with an impressive array of tools. I want to nail down my design, gather all hardware and make all the accessory stuff while I'm here. That way, I just have to assemble the board when I get back. I was fortunate enough to scrounge some spare Birch plywood leftovers. I'm going to stain it clear so it should look fairly similar to Ellie's board.

Thanks for the comments Jahra I'm glad Charles is looking for a different price point. I think he would have a lot more customers if he could get the set down under a hundred dollars. Since it's relatively easy to build and the materials are inexpensive, it's probably difficult for many folks to tolerate the current price. It helped when he included the the advanced DVD but I still thought he would have brought the price down by now (I've been checking the site for a long time). Since I may end up plunking over money separately for the DVD, I probably would have saved myself the time/trouble and just purchased the set if it had been less than a $100. Of course, when it comes to fitness dollars, I have had my share of generous spending over the years You can make just about anything cost efficient if you use it enough (my vidiot rationale). I'm glad you are enjoying the workouts so much.

Tags
pilates stick dvds, pilatesstick, roll backs