Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-15, 10:21 AM  
Tugger31

Question Downsizing DVD collection

I want to sell a bunch of my dvds just to downsize a bit. I don't do Ebay and have never sold anything on Amazon before. I'm afraid selling them to a resale type of store won't get me the money I would like. Most of my workouts are in mint condition and alot are relatively new, ie. Dreambody, Jari, KCM so I don't want to get just a dollar for them.

Any ideas how to sell them effectively? Anyone with any experience with selling on Amazon. I'm always afraid of someone cheating me out of the payment!

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 10:26 AM  
bubbles76

YaYas.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 10:31 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This! ^

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 12:20 PM  
lizh

Amazon is pretty darn easy. Just find the DVD that you want to sell on their site, and look for the button that says "have one to sell?". They even give you a bit toward the shipping. I have it set up so they deposit the money straight into my bank account. However, you have to price it in line with what others are selling it for, and it may take a while to sell.

Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 12:30 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I sold on Amazon for years, until I had a buyer accuse me of selling an illegally copied DVD. [The stupid thing wouldn't play in her DVD player - and the instant she contacted me about it, I refunded all of her money and told her to not bother sending the DVD back.]

The buyer posted a review to the effect that I was selling illegally copied DVDs, etc. She finally deleted the review, but the damage was done. It was an awful experience and Amazon was no help to me. I don't sell on Amazon anymore.

Turns out that Amazon is now full of reviews from others saying that this particular DVD had production issues and it's now widely known that the DVD was very quirky and would not play for many folks.

Just my two cents.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 04:19 PM  
cdayley

I sell on ebay and at yayas.

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 05:13 PM  
Tugger31

What is required at YaYa's, just to have an account there??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 08:55 PM  
Just_Jo

I have a huge box to sell, over 100. And they just sit. I won't do Amazon due to the review and time issues, I have never sold on eBay, and YaYa's is an option, but time consuming.

Best wishes getting them sold.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 07:29 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I sold on Amazon for years, until I had a buyer accuse me of selling an illegally copied DVD.

Carol
I had sold a dvd that was sealed and a similar thing happened to me. After that I decided I'll sell sets on Amazon but not individual dvds. Since then, Amazon has a dollar limit on sets (Beachbody rule I believe) so you need a special marketplace status to sell anything over $40. Both Amazon and Ebay take a commission. Plus, you have to deal with complaints or returns, etc. Even if your stuff is perfect.

I just recently sold a couple sets on Ya Yas. Now I am just trying to be very selective what I purchase so I don't have the problem of trying to get rid of stuff.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 08:09 AM  
Eibhinn

Unfortunately, it seems to have been getting increasingly difficult to sell used DVDs of any kind, including fitness, as people increasingly migrate to digital formats and streaming services for both entertainment and fitness. My local thrift stores used to barely ever have fitness DVDs and now there is a constant stream of them.

I hope you have good luck selling, but at a certain point it's worth considering whether you're not better off just getting the DVDs out of your life in terms of regaining space and the opportunity cost (in terms of your time) of selling them.

Particularly in Canada I've found it nearly impossible to sell my DVDs (we don't have as many options/services to do so). I donated a bunch to the local library, and it was such a huge relief to not have to deal with them any more. If you feel guilty about not recouping some of the money from their purchase, I definitely recommend googling "Sunk Cost Fallacy." That concept has really changed my perspective on things, and helped me be better about not having clutter sitting around the house forever thinking "I really should try to sell it," particularly when it will never actually happen.

Even if it's possible to re-sell, think long and hard about whether it's actually worth the time and effort.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsize, downsizing, purging, purging dvds, selling dvds