Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-11, 08:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Last year, I purchased a DVD from an Amazon Marketplace vendor that turned out to be DVD-R. I complained. The seller refunded my money right away, but didn't ask me to send the DVD-R back. Amazon didn't ask me to send it back either.

I did return the DVD-R to the vendor anyway.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:11 AM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Yes, and that's a warning for all VFers selling anything on Amazon.com. Someone can and just might do a rotation then decide to return your now used item and you have no choice but to take it back. Since I didn't actually get the set back who knows what shape it's in now.
Per Amazon's rules, they have 14 days to contact you about wanting to return the merchandise. They have 30 days from receipt to get it in the mail to you. I suppose it is technically possible to receive something like Insanity, do 14 days of it, contact the seller to return it, do the next two weeks, pop it in the mail on day 29 and get a full refund...but chances of that are fairly slim.

But I'm like you - when I'm selling something, I'm not a corporation and most all sales are final (if it doesn't work as advertised, I won't sell it). Hence I'd rather list something on Craigslist or Ebay where I can set the rules of the sale. I know I'll probably get less money for doing so, but that's ok by me to not put up with any hassles.
Old 07-14-11, 08:16 AM  
cam522

I've bought workout DVD's from private sellers on Amazon and they didn't turn out to be what I thought they would be. It would never occur to me to return it to them and I never would, I gave them positive feedback and just re-sold them.

F1mom - I am so very very sorry for the loss of your sister.

...Cheryl
cam522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:23 AM  
Malia

I've had to take returns also from Amazon (on a new product that the buyer used) - even called them on their own policy and the rep still said I had to take the return if the buyer didn't like the item.

Here's the link to Amazon's policy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=901894

"DVDs and videos purchased from Amazon.com and most sellers (including DVDs purchased CDNOW teamed with Amazon.com) are easily returned within 30 days of receipt of shipment. These items must be unopened and still in their plastic wrap. Items purchased at CDNOW teamed with Amazon.com can be returned only to Amazon.com and not to CDNOW.

For Amazon.com returns, and returns of items purchased from a seller but fulfilled by Amazon, please visit our Online Returns Center to initiate a return. For returns of all other items purchased from a seller, please contact the seller directly by going to "Your Orders" in Your Account. Then click the "Contact Seller" button on the order you're interested in returning. To view the seller's return policy, click the "Return items" button on the order below "Contact Seller"."

I have even sent buyers the link and their response is always "well I return opened DVDs to Amazon all the time". So why can't Amazon just follow their own policy? Am I missing something?
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:25 AM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Yes, and that's a warning for all VFers selling anything on Amazon.com. Someone can and just might do a rotation then decide to return your now used item and you have no choice but to take it back. Since I didn't actually get the set back who knows what shape it's in now.
Like Blackadar already said, this is irrelevant. What a buyer does or does not do during the time it takes them to contact you for a refund and sending back (or in your case, not sending back) DVDs does not matter!

Look, YOU WON. You didn't lost out on money. Amazon went back on their own policy to make you happy. But you are still complaining that you've been wronged in some way, when you weren't. Who gives a fig if you don't get the DVDs back and who cares if this buyer sells them? When it comes down to it, didn't you get what you wanted, which was to have the chargeback reversed? You're going on about making people aware of Amazon's policy as if it is draconian, which it is not. It's a perfectly reasonable policy and one that I'm sure as a seller you have received updates about--if not by email than in your seller account.

Where is Cheval Mort when you need him?
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:26 AM  
Blackadar

That's Amazon itself. Here's their marketplace return link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=537736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
If you receive an item different than what was described, or that is clearly in worse condition than indicated, you must contact your seller directly to report the defect or damage within 14 days of receiving the shipment. You should be able to reach an amicable agreement with one another. If necessary, you can return your item to the seller for a refund. Please note that items purchased from Amazon Marketplace sellers need to be returned directly to the seller and not to Amazon.com.

To be eligible for a refund, you must return your item to your seller in the same condition you received it, and the return must be postmarked within 30 days of shipment. If the item you purchased is a software title, it can only be returned in cases of defect, damage or if the item was different than described. When writing to the seller to arrange for its return, please be as descriptive as possible regarding the problem with the merchandise. As with the Amazon.com retail returns policy, there are no returns of 1) hazardous items that are gas-powered or contain flammable liquids and 2) computer laptops and desktops more than 30 days after delivery.

Shipping and handling charges for returning Marketplace items are borne by the buyer. To ensure the safe return of the merchandise, items valued at over $75 must be returned to the seller with a traceable shipping service. If the order is valued at $100 or more, insure the shipment for the value of the merchandise and ship your return with a signature shipping service. For items below $75, we suggest USPS delivery confirmation service.

Sending the return via a trackable shipping method protects you in the event a seller doesn't receive an item. If a package doesn't arrive, we can implement an A-to-z Guarantee claim (something we can't do for untracked packages).

Amazon.com strives to maintain a marketplace that is fair to both buyers and sellers. If you do not use a traceable method to return your item and the seller does not provide a refund to you, we may not be able to cover you under the A-to-z Guarantee.

Note that Delivery Confirmation through the U.S. Postal Service does not offer a signature service. If the seller's return address is a P.O. Box, you will need to ship USPS, but be sure to request signature confirmation and insurance for USPS shipments.
Old 07-14-11, 08:36 AM  
KathAL79

F1Mom, my condolences on the tragic loss of your sister.

I also set up an Amazon.com Marketplace seller account a long time ago and remember that the return policy was up to the seller, as Amazon's guidelines were rather vague. Very early on, maybe 7-8 years ago, I had a problem with a DVD I bought off of Amazon's Marketplace playing in my player, and the seller basically said, "You bought it; it's yours," which Amazon backed him up on. When I had someone ask for a refund (this was probably 5-6 years ago), I looked all over the site trying to figure out what Amazon's policies were, and I ended up sending the buyer an SASE and refunding the money once the item was returned because I figured that was the only way not to get dinged in my seller ratings. But then someone told me I was wrong to have sent the SASE, that that was giving the buyer something extra on top of the item promised, a practice which Amazon was not supposed to have allowed. So I was very confused and just prayed that no one else would ask for a refund.

I would like to thank all of those who have contributed to this thread which has alerted me to and explained in more detail Amazon's current policies. (I haven't sold anything there in a while, so I haven't been on top of them as I should have been.) While I'm glad Amazon has moved towards creating a more uniform return policy for the Marketplace, and as a buyer I'll be happy to see that I won't be stuck with a defective disc again, I am seriously considering how worth my while it is to continue as an Amazon seller; because I sell so little, taking a loss on an item would be a big deal to me.

I'm another who doesn't consider asking for a return or refund if I don't like something; I only do that if the item is defective in some form. I'm glad that for those who need and want it the option exists at places like Collage and TotalFitnessDVDs, but once someone allows something like that suddenly people want that everywhere.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:04 AM  
Kesal

The return policy doesn't deter me from selling on Amazon, because if the item's returned, I can relist it. Amazon refunds most of their commission -- all but $1.79 for dvds -- so I would only be out less than $5, including my original shipping costs, in the event of a return (which hasn't happened, knock on wood). I can afford that gamble for the convenience and higher prices I can ask when selling on Amazon.

I've made a couple hundred dollars this year selling my dvds there -- dvds that I'd listed for here trade and not gotten bites on, and listed concurrently on Yayas (at way lower prices) without response.

I worry more about things getting lost in the mail, but that could happen no matter where you sell or trade.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:04 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post

I would like to thank all of those who have contributed to this thread which has alerted me to and explained in more detail Amazon's current policies. (I haven't sold anything there in a while, so I haven't been on top of them as I should have been.) While I'm glad Amazon has moved towards creating a more uniform return policy for the Marketplace, and as a buyer I'll be happy to see that I won't be stuck with a defective disc again, I am seriously considering how worth my while it is to continue as an Amazon seller; because I sell so little, taking a loss on an item would be a big deal to me.

I'm another who doesn't consider asking for a return or refund if I don't like something; I only do that if the item is defective in some form. I'm glad that for those who need and want it the option exists at places like Collage and TotalFitnessDVDs, but once someone allows something like that suddenly people want that everywhere.
I completely agree, Kath. When I buy something, I see my purchase as final and for that reason I do my research before buying. I will only return the item and ask for a refund if it isn't as described or doesn't work.
I know people who have bought clothing, kitchen utensils and whatnot from shops with the intention of using them once and returning them. They couldn't afford the clothes or whatever, but still wanted to have them for the one occasion so they used the shop as a library.
I'm not saying this is a normal practice. I hope it isn't! It is so incredibly dishonest!

I also don't expect to receive a SASE to return an item I bought and decided not to keep, and get a full refund! It's not the seller's fault that I didn't like the item or just decided not to keep it.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't lose your money, Raina, and I'm really sorry for your loss. Amazon can claim the DVDs back from the buyer and sell them again.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 09:05 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm not getting it, either. F1mom, sounds like you got your money back and the buyer has the DVDs, so it's as if you sold them like you wanted to do in the first place. Case closed...why does it have to be prolonged?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon marketplace, amazon.com, amazon.com marketplace, buyer beware, seller beware, selling, selling dvds