Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-23, 02:08 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Except for the brief periods of living in a one level apartment, I've had stairs everywhere I've lived including now where we have front and back stairs. I expect that the next place we live at some point in the future will be one level, but it's what I'm used to so I'm happy with stairs and the additional exercise they provide. They were only an issue when DH broke his foot and it was tricky getting up and down in that boot.

No basements in our area, but I always recall my grandparents climbing up and down those step stairs to the washer and dryer to the basement in their house in PA. In later years they had one of those motorized stair lifts for the set from the main floor to the second floor. Those were some steep steps as they had high ceilings in that house!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 03:14 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

We have a basement and a finished attic (my son's living space when he visits) so yes, two flights. I don't mind the stairs unless I'm recovering from something.

The washer and dryer are in the basement so I get bonus steps for doing the wash. I'm very wary going downstairs while carrying a full laundry basket. It gives me a scary feeling. Otherwise no issues.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 03:14 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I have stairs; a 3-level home. Bedroom & "office" are upstairs. So is my only bathroom ... Laundry is down in the basement.

In order to minimize my online/social media time, I let myself only use my desktop computer - which is upstairs!

I'm up & down steps frequently during the day. Even I try to make things as accessible as possible, I still have the issue of the bathroom being upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
When carrying my laundry basket downstairs to the basement, I've actually missed the bottom step. The laundry basket had been blocking my vision to the stairs, so it can be dangerous for the elderly or even middle aged!
I have canvas bags. I fill them with the dirty laundry & toss them down the steps. No carrying! (Going down for me is harder than going up; I can still manage to carry the laundry upstairs.)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 03:25 PM  
warriorprincess

I had stairs when I was in my early 30's. I would be sleepy on the couch, and wide awake by the time I got upstairs to bed. Never again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 09:52 PM  
ChelePA

We have stairs to the second floor as well as to the basement. Our laundry is on the second floor, which is ideal for us since that’s where all the bedrooms are located. It was eye-opening after my car accident how difficult steps can be until you’re fully recovered. Even 1-2 steps. We had a hospital bed in our living room-on the first floor-until all my surgeries were complete. There was no way for me to shower in those early days. My sister eventually started washing my hair on the back porch. I had a broken neck so no bending, twisting, etc.. Crazy times! I scooted up and down on my butt for many many months. I agree that it’s great exercise throughout the day, but we have definitely considered moving to a single level home in the future. We weren’t sure if I would be able to move around without an assistive device and thought we might be moving sooner rather than later. Luckily, I made a better recovery than expected.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 10:41 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
We have stairs to the second floor as well as to the basement. Our laundry is on the second floor, which is ideal for us since that’s where all the bedrooms are located.
Honestly, doesn’t it make so much sense to have your laundry located where your bedrooms are? We don’t haul our dirty dishes off to another area of the house and then bring them back to the kitchen when they’re clean. Just for ease, I wish my laundry was located upstairs.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 10:54 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Honestly, doesn’t it make so much sense to have your laundry located where your bedrooms are? We don’t haul our dirty dishes off to another area of the house and then bring them back to the kitchen when they’re clean. Just for ease, I wish my laundry was located upstairs.
LOL I agree.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-23, 03:10 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have a lot of stairs. I go up and down the stairs dozens of times every day, and they have helped keep my legs strong. I worry about having a joint problem some day and not being able to do the stairs.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-23, 10:24 AM  
Izzy

I live in a very old home built in the 1800's. The stairs to the second floor are so steep and solid wood too. I also have stairs to the basement where the washer and dryer are. There are only about 6 steps but they slant downward. I am in my late 60's and I don't mind the stairs. I just go slow. I even moved furniture up and down a few weeks ago by myself. I have always lived in a house with stairs and a basement. I guess you just get used to it.
Old 12-05-23, 02:14 PM  
red1013

Two flights. Our bedroom is on the second floor, workout room in the unfinished basement, laundry on main floor. According to my Apple Watch, I average 12-15 flights a day.

Tags
stairs