Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-23, 09:12 AM  
furmomof6

Yup! I live in a bi-level, so there's two short flights of stairs between the first and second floor. I don't mind them and I'm currently fine with them, but in the future I wouldn't mind a place without stairs. When I hurt my knee recently, obviously that made me wish I didn't have stairs. And there was a time, for about 6 months or so, when I had to carry my late elderly dog up and down them. I'm not complaining because I would do anything for my pets, but it did weigh on my body doing that day after day, several times a day for so long.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 09:35 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Yup! I live in a bi-level, so there's two short flights of stairs between the first and second floor. I don't mind them and I'm currently fine with them, but in the future I wouldn't mind a place without stairs. When I hurt my knee recently, obviously that made me wish I didn't have stairs. And there was a time, for about 6 months or so, when I had to carry my late elderly dog up and down them. I'm not complaining because I would do anything for my pets, but it did weigh on my body doing that day after day, several times a day for so long.
Carrying my elderly dogs up and down my stairs is the reason why I have little dogs. Even so, it still can be difficult.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 09:36 AM  
zoegirl

I've never lived in a house with stairs. When I was little, that was my dream! My oldest daughter now has a house with an upstairs and my youngest daughter has a basement. Several years ago, my stepmom did a massive renovation at their house. Their bedroom was upstairs and the laundry was in the basement. She added a master suite on the main floor, with a huge bedroom and bathroom, all handicap accessible. Then a couple of years ago, we had to move my dad to a memory care facility. She was so thoughtful and generous in planning for their physical care as they grew older. She said she never thought it would require memory care.
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 09:49 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I have two flights of stairs: one up to the master bedroom and one down to the basement where the laundry room is. It's not usually an issue but I've had foot and knee injuries over the 12 years I've lived here and during those times I had to be very careful. I do have a room on the main level that I can set up as a bedroom, so that is what I do when I can't use stairs, but doing laundry is a problem. I plan to sell this house in the next year or two and move to something that is one level because I know this setup will be an issue when I'm older. Having stairs is great for exercise though!
Old 12-04-23, 10:02 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
I've never lived in a house with stairs. When I was little, that was my dream! My oldest daughter now has a house with an upstairs and my youngest daughter has a basement. Several years ago, my stepmom did a massive renovation at their house. Their bedroom was upstairs and the laundry was in the basement. She added a master suite on the main floor, with a huge bedroom and bathroom, all handicap accessible. Then a couple of years ago, we had to move my dad to a memory care facility. She was so thoughtful and generous in planning for their physical care as they grew older. She said she never thought it would require memory care.
Im sorry to hear about your dad.

My brother is 12 years older than me at 76. Hes recently showing signs of memory loss, and it seems to be getting worse quickly. My sister-in-laws memory is good, but shes broken three bones in the past few years. Im really worried about them. They are two hours away, but fortunately my nephew lives close by. My sister-in-law remodeled their master bath recently to be handicapped friendly. Their stairs go up from the street to the front door, so she had a ramp put into the garage going up to the door. Its paying off for them now.
Old 12-04-23, 10:25 AM  
Gams

zoegirl, when I was little I hated living in a house with stairs because I had to scrub floors - upstairs, I would scrub the bathroom, then down the hall and then start scrubbing down the stairs - first there were four stairs, then a landing (where I would look out the window and see my friends playing), then Id turn a corner and go down another 10 or 12 steps. I hated it!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 11:52 AM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
zoegirl, when I was little I hated living in a house with stairs because I had to scrub floors - upstairs, I would scrub the bathroom, then down the hall and then start scrubbing down the stairs - first there were four stairs, then a landing (where I would look out the window and see my friends playing), then Id turn a corner and go down another 10 or 12 steps. I hated it!
I'm sure if my dream had come true, the fantasy would have worn off in a hurry! Stairs just seemed so glamorous to my 8 year old self!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 11:53 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

We have stairs which was fine until my recent knee injury, hah! But seriously, what the bigger issue is are the cats who make various steps their 'spot' to nap sometimes which is a huge issue at night, when it's quite dark. It's very easy to not see the cat, step on the cat and go flying down the stairs. My husband has installed little motion-sensor lights on the landings to avoid this predicament.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 12:34 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Carrying my elderly dogs up and down my stairs is the reason why I have little dogs. Even so, it still can be difficult.
Awe, I understand that. I never dreamed my dog would live to be 17 and need to be carried. I'm thankful for her long life though and would gladly carry her again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
We have stairs which was fine until my recent knee injury, hah! But seriously, what the bigger issue is are the cats who make various steps their 'spot' to nap sometimes which is a huge issue at night, when it's quite dark. It's very easy to not see the cat, step on the cat and go flying down the stairs. My husband has installed little motion-sensor lights on the landings to avoid this predicament.
I feel your pain! When I hurt my knee recently I wanted to cry thinking about using the stairs. I'm glad my cats don't use them as a place to lay though! Good idea about the sensor lights!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 12:47 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post

I feel your pain! When I hurt my knee recently I wanted to cry thinking about using the stairs.
When I had foot surgery, I had to scoot up and down the stairs on my butt for about two months. I had to do that to get in/out of the house, too. It was awful and I was grateful for strong triceps.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stairs