Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-23, 02:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Do you have stairs in your home?

I just moved into a new home. It's two-story with a flight of stairs. I hadn't lived anywhere with stairs since I was a young child.

When I was first moving into the house and had to run up and down the stairs dozens of times per day, often carrying heavy objects, my knees really started to complain. Also, my quadriceps were on fire.

I've had some minor knee issues for a few years. I became concerned that moving into a two-story house might've been a bad idea.

Thankfully, that has all resolved and the knees are so much better. (One still makes a lot of noise, but doesn't usually hurt.) I actually enjoy going up and down the stairs because I figure it's good for my glutes and quads!

Do you have stairs in your home?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 03:20 PM  
Erica H.

We do, but I would want a first floor master bedroom in our next home so I'm not forced to use the stairs in case of injury. BTDT too many times and it's not fun and I expect it be an issue more as DH and I age.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 04:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when we moved to our current home, we wanted a 1-story design in case my parents or in-laws moved in with us. also, for DH and I since we plan to "age in place".

edited to add: we own an acoustic piano and having as few stairs as possible was important.

our previous home was a 2-story townhome. i slipped several times when getting ready for work. one of the falls was responsible for recurring hip pain that comes and goes.

that said, i do stair-training whenever I can. a group of us at work had a standing time at 2 PM to go down and back up to the 23rd floor.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 05:42 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Yes, I have stairs.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 06:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yes, we have stairs, but I usually don't use them because our bedroom is on the ground floor. When we moved in, we had the carpet on the stairs changed to hardwood. They had to reconfigure the front part of each stair while they did that and whatever they did made the stair steeper. So we have what seems like a very long and steep set of stairs. I go upstairs periodically.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 07:13 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

We do. I used to workout in the basement. But, now that I do it in the living room, every time I do a weight workout, I get a workout before starting while bringing up and down fitness equipment.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 07:15 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
We do, but I would want a first floor master bedroom in our next home so I'm not forced to use the stairs in case of injury. BTDT too many times and it's not fun and I expect it be an issue more as DH and I age.

Erica
My parents moved into a house after they retired with this set up. They have an upstairs and a basement, but everything they need is on the main floor. They've both had hip/knee surgeries so their house set up has really worked out well for them.
Old 12-03-23, 07:22 PM  
Gams

For those of you who have basements, are your washers and dryers in the basement? I worry about my dad going up and down his basement stairs with laundry. He’ll be 89 next June.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 07:28 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Our dryer and washer are upstairs. Gams, I understand your concern.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-23, 07:32 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
We do. I used to workout in the basement. But, now that I do it in the living room, every time I do a weight workout, I get a workout before starting while bringing up and down fitness equipment.
That would be quite a workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
My parents moved into a house after they retired with this set up. They have an upstairs and a basement, but everything they need is on the main floor. They've both had hip/knee surgeries so their house set up has really worked out well for them.
That's my plan. We live on the main floor and have upstairs bedrooms/baths for when our kids and future grandkids visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
For those of you who have basements, are your washers and dryers in the basement? I worry about my dad going up and down his basement stairs with laundry. He’ll be 89 next June.
Our first home had washer/dryer in basement but our current home has it on the main (first) floor. I'd worry about your dad in that situation too. It's so easy to lose balance - especially when carrying laundry!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stairs