Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-23, 04:20 PM  
ellaenchanted

So how is Cathe's STS 2.0 going?

I expected a lot more chatter about this program. I haven't done a Cathe workout in a long time but was curious to read about STS 2.0 as it did pique my interest.

Do you like it? Anyone doing just dumbbells and maybe bands? Is it a lower rep/heavier weight program or is it more in the 12-15 rep range?
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-23, 07:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I think there has been a lot of talk in the STS 2.0 check in and the original thread. I'm not doing a true rotation right now but have loved every workout I have done: premixes of the three total body ones, the stretch and the mat yoga.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-23, 09:13 PM  
bubbles76

So far I'm enjoying it. I'm finishing up Week 3 in the 12-Week Rotation. My favorites so far have been Total Body Trisets, Recovery Stretch, and the Foam Roller3 workouts. The first phase has been total body and recovery workouts. So far the reps have been in the 8-10 range.

ETA: I have been using the full workouts, not the premixes. I'm currently using barbell (finally got one, yay!), dumbbells, and the tubing when it calls for it. Tubing has been used minimally in the total body workouts, only for one tricep exercise on one disk and for warm ups on all the strength workouts. I do one STS Cardio workout or other dedicated cardio workout a week and walk for one hour or more every day for my cardio (walking is broken up into 20-30 minute segments throughout the day). I also try to do one to two STS 2.0 ab workouts a week on recovery days. May mix in STS 1.0 ab workouts too.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-23, 06:33 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I need to go to the checkin!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-23, 01:01 PM  
angie_nrs

I just finished week 4 of the 12 week rotation so there's still some single body part workouts I haven't done yet. But so for I'm LOVING this set! I've done the workouts in their entirety, but I appreciate the fact that there are premixes available to shorten the workouts if need be. I don't think the original STS had timesaver premixes as options.

I like the new variety of exercises and I'm glad I'm now using equipment that I haven't used in a long time. My heavy dumbbells are getting a lot of new love and so is my pullup/dip tower. Those fabric bands are also being used too.

I have new definition that i didn't have before and my jeans are fitting better even though I haven't lost weight. My core is also tighter even though I've only done 1 or 2 of the ab workouts per week. My saddlebag area is also slimmer.

There will be NO buyers regret with this set. I haven't run across a workout yet that I haven't liked. That, along with the results I've gotten thus far make me very very happy.
Old 06-24-23, 04:32 PM  
Lannette

I completed a 4 week hybrid rotation where I used Pre-mixes and added other workouts before or after them.

- I love all the recovery workouts and have used most 2 or more times.
- I really enjoyed the total body workouts as well.
- I liked UB 1 & UB 2 equally but liked LB 2 more than LB 1.
- A few of the single body part Pre-mixes felt as though I spent as much time setting up as exercising.
- In some cases the rests felt long for having done one set. I often used half the rest to do a second set. That worked well, especially with the single body part Pre-mixes.

I’m really glad I purchased this set. I’m going to get a lot of used out of it.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-23, 06:36 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm doing the 12-week rotation, though I'm not following strictly especially with the recovery workouts, since I also do a lot of yoga. So far I've done all the Total Body workouts, most of the Upper/Lower, and most of the recovery workouts; I've liked them all, Total more than Upper/Lower, but I appreciate the variety. I am doing premixes to keep my workouts around 30-45 minutes; I love having that option, and the premixes are well done - you can meet the spirit of the rotation, doing premixes, which isn't always the case! (I remember Cathe saying these would be shorter workouts, but they're not short. )

There is lots of chatter in the check-in - drop in and see what we're saying about these! The response is generally very good.

ETA: As others have said, it's intended for hypertrophy and most exercises are in the 8-10 rep range, a few 12 (those are mostly with bands/tubing, I think). I am not using barbells, just dumbbells and tubing, and that's working fine for me. (I have dumbbell pairs through 25 lb and a single 35, but I don't lift as heavy as Cathe.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-23, 10:27 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm doing the 12 week rotation and will begin my 5th week on Monday. With the 12 week rotation the first 3 weeks are Total Body, the next 3 weeks are Upper/Lower Body, and the remaining weeks are individual Body Part workouts. The recovery workouts (Mobility, Stretch, Yoga, Foam Rolling) are sprinkled into your week, with the strength workouts. There's also an Abs/Core DVD with three workouts to add to the mix.

The only workouts I haven't tried yet are the "Parts" workouts, but I've been very pleased with all the workouts that I've done so far! I'm currently doing the full workout (as intended) but I can see these being very useful to add to your week anytime using the shorter premixes. As is, these are about an hour in length, more or less.

I only wish there had been a longer cooldown stretch on each of the strength workouts, instead of the short "abbreviated" stretch that might be about 3 minutes. And (as long as I'm wishing) specific stretches for just the Upper/Lower Body workouts would have been nice, too! Other than those few minor quibbles, I am very happy with this purchase and know I will use this set again and again.

It's also fun to put so much of my equipment to good use and to have so much variety (and options) the way Cathe created these workouts. Changing up your equipment to something different from week to week keeps you from getting bored with the same old dumbbells every single time.

Cathe's leggings are super cute in these workouts! It just makes me happy looking at some of the different combinations of outfits and the sets are nice and bright. Cathe and crew all look terrific and are either smiling or struggling with their last few reps. ;-)

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-23, 12:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm doing the Cataddict rotation of STS 2.0 I did all the workouts once (except the abs--I rarely if ever do dedicated ab workouts) and decided three times a week for total body was too much with how long they are, so I'm doing one of the total body workouts and alternating the upper and lower body splits the other two days of weight training. Then I'm throwing in the body parts workouts in the third week. I do feel that I have gained strength and despite Cathe's advice, I'm keeping my cardio workouts in the mix because I enjoy them.

I like the weight workouts, but I can't say that overall I'm a huge fan of the recovery workouts. The foam rolling "workouts" are too instructional for me, and the mobility ones are too similar to one another and don't hold the movements that work for me. The chair yoga is way too easy for me and I am not a yogini by any stretch of the imagination. So I can see myself getting the most use out of the stretch workout, the active recovery, and the mat yoga, but even those I'm not sure how to work them in to my plan.

I'm disappointed with the errors in the User Guide Workout Cards (out of order exercises, neglecting to list equipment or Cathe's weight selection), particularly after all the drama at the delayed release. I think I would be far more annoyed if I had paid full price for the system.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-23, 01:53 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm following the eight week rotation, and have done the total body, the uppers and lowers, the body parts for shoulder, and all of the recovery and abs workouts. I love everything about this set, but definitely prefer the ones with a decent rest period after each set. I liked the total body workouts, but it's a long time between rest periods, but at least there are nice rest periods. I'm really looking forward to doing all the body parts, as I suspect these will be my favorites.

If I had to nitpik, I am not crazy about warmups starting out with squats and lunges. I always do the first 3 minutes of the STS1 phase 2 to get warm before beginning any of these workouts.

I'm enjoying the two mobility and the mat yoga more than any of her similar routines. I also like all of the abs. She still creates great variations after all these years.

Cathe is so strong! She's quite remarkable.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe sts 2.0, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews