Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-08, 02:30 PM  
TinaT

Results with Ballet/Barre/Pilates?

Anyone out there using these methods as their main form of exercise? Are you getting good results? I've acquired a couple workouts based on these methods and would love for my body to respond well to them.

Here's what I have so far:

Both Bar Methods
Element Ballet Conditioning

I think I will look for both Attitudes and Squeeze as well. And of course, I have a butt load of Classical Stretch, which goes without saying.

I'm using Leslie for cardio. I'm such a broken record when it comes to my joints...especially in the neck/shoulder area, but this is why I'm asking. I don't think traditional weights are doable right now. Another question...is this method enough to help keep my strength, etc.? I have already lost muscle tone due to a lack of weight training, b/c my joints won't let me go as heavy as I need, to be effective.

HELP!!!
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 02:59 PM  
mj476

I am doing a barre/kickboxing/yoga rotation this month. Aside from really enjoying myself, my bodyfat has gone down. I'm hoping to reduce my inner thighs and hips with this rotation but I'll post back at the end of the month with my measurements.

Last month I did a Cathe rotation with most of her leg workouts and a lot more cardio than I used to. I lost weight but didn't lose any inches. I didn't use a lot of weight but maybe I shouldn't use any. I just did Pure Barre yesterday and my leg was literally quivering during the standing barre and I've done ballet for years.

I'm doing Squeeze, Pure Barre, two kickboxing workouts, a yoga practice and an upper body workout each week. I actually find bodweight exercises much more effective than weights. I certainly feel a lot more DOMS than when I use weights and I do use heavy weights.

Marcy
Old 09-09-08, 03:16 PM  
allgirlsinaz

This is my last week of a barre/pilates type rotation. I alternated days with Cardio Coach. Some days I didn't feel up to CC, so I went for a hike, did a Leslie Sansone or any other cardio. Here is what I used:

-Squeeze (one wk of Full Body & one wk of Power/Custom Squeeze)
-Both Bar Method
-Element Ballet
-Winsor Buns and Thighs & Pick Your Spot Pilates
-Pure Barre

I did not add any additional strength training for upper body if it wasn't already in the above w/o's. I have probably lost some strength in U/B, but for my next rotation I plan to do the updated Firm 90 day program. I'm sure I'll regain my U/B strength there.

I have not lost any weight, it's been up and down a few pounds. I did take my measurements before I started, but not since then. I do feel like my thighs don't jiggle as much and the front of my thighs seem stronger.

C25K graduate 10/10

CLX grad 12/09
allgirlsinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 03:33 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

This is my main form of training and it works really well for me. Obviously this is not the best method to make serious strenth gains (à la P90X or Cathe) but I find it gives me great endurance and muscle definition.

Based on the DVDs you own and your comments regarding neck shoulder issues, I think the new DVDs you are considering might not be the best alternatives. I absolutely love Squeeze but some VFers with shoulder problems have posted that this workout feels uncomfortable/unsafe for them. You might still want to get it for the great lower body and core work but I doubt you will enjoy the upper body work.

I personally do not care much for the Attitude workouts - they are ok for a day off or an easy day but they are very gentle workouts, much easier than Element ballet. I thought the lower body work was better in the first DVD and the core work was best in the second DVD.

If you are looking for something along the same lines as Bar Method but more intense, I would recommend Pure Barre. Great thigh work!

Another series that might fit your rotation is Ellen Barrett's Studio workouts (although Slim Sculpt might be a bit difficult on your shoulders/neck - it uses very light weight but includes some unusual exercises).
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 03:39 PM  
TinaT

I needed to "hear" that your thighs are my defined. I could use that. Maybe I'll change my WL on the exchange to add some Ellen. This is a total change for me in regards to the method I use, so I need to know my time is spent wisely. Maybe I'll pass on the Attitudes if they're too easy. I do consider myself a solid/high intermediate exerciser. Even though my upper body is limited right now.

Pure Barre?.....forgot about that one...
Old 09-09-08, 04:08 PM  
cristinalatina

Pure Barre is the bomb!I lost one inch off one thigh and half an inch off the other after doing PB three timesI love it, love it love it, much more than Squeeze even though I'm a sucker for production values. It does give results, and it might help with endurance as well. A serious barre/pilates/yoga workout is better for my body than any other form of exercise...provided that it is indeed tough.

For upper body, they are not enough/don't work well for me. I used to have extremely defined shoulders, but not anything else!After using Jari with light weights (5-6 lb dumbbells) I am satisfied with my current definition. Jari is great if you like split routines.

Regarding Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt, I am sorry to report that I sustained a painful rotator cuff injury after doing it with very light weights,ouch. I agree with fuzzie, it fits the barre/pilates description but it is overly taxing to some pretty sensitive muscles.
Old 09-09-08, 04:35 PM  
sundari

I wanted a change from the usual weight training. So I've been doing Margaret's workouts for upper body but also the floorwork.

For my main lower body work I've been doing Ellen, Squeeze, Element Ballet, Petra's Elegant Strength, Balletone's, Reach & AL & C II.

While I don't have a lower body issue to conquer, I've noticed I definately feel alot more DOMS from these type of workouts. Also I've noticed my butt is more lifted and my legs and calves are more toned and stronger. I feel these workouts reach deep areas that traditional workouts do not attack.

Since this change in my routine has been going so well I'm thinking of sticking with this for a bit longer.
Old 09-09-08, 04:48 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Tina: I've been doing Barre/Pilates mixed with cardio and Yoga and one heavy lifting day for about 3 months now. Before that it was mostly heavy lifting and cardio with some Yoga. I do two days of Barre/Pilates, two cardio days, one heavy lifting, and 2 Yoga. I also do a shorter Yoga practice in the evening if I have time.

I have noticed some definite changes, and really wish I had measured when I started. I had a pair of jeans I bought at the start of the summer that I couldn't even get zipped up without laying down on the bed. And then I couldn't breath anyway. I put them on again last week, and they zipped without any problems. All my pants are fitting MUCH better thru the thighs too. I don't know what it is, but I still have plenty of muscle definition in my upper and lower body.

I have Pure Barre, Squeeze, some Callanetics, and a whole bunch more (I've become addicted). I can handle Cathe's mega-tough lower body work, but Pure Barre has me quivvering like jello!

p.s. I have not noticed any decrease in actual strength either, but that may be because I'm still doing one day a week of heavy lifting.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 06:40 PM  
TinaT

I guess the bottom line, is that it can't hurt to try. I will be no worse off than I am now. Which is not doing much of anything b/c I feel the need to take too many days in between workouts to recover for the sake of my joint issues. I just want to get back into having a daily workout. I felt so great about life in general when I could look forward to that time, knowing I was doing something good for myself.
Old 09-09-08, 07:41 PM  
mbenson

Wow this is a great thread I have been pondering the idea if trying this as well. I just got the cardio barre DVD's and love them. But I want mix these up with my kickboxing, Firm and Dove workouts and am still wondering how I can work a rotation to fit in a 5-6 day a week schedule.

If anyone has any ideas would love your input. Thanks.
mbenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, element ballet