Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-23, 08:43 AM  
Negin

Cardio Before/After Weights

I'm trying to find which is most ideal, if I happen to be planning on doing both cardio and weights on the same day. Anyone know? In my case, as is usually the case, it's about weight loss. I wish it was about maintenance, but such is life.

This article says:
"If you want to lose weight, do cardio before weights.
If you want to maintain your weight, do weights before cardio."

This article says:
"If your goal is burning fat and losing weight, do cardio after weights."

Finally, I wonder if it even makes a difference. This article says:
"The bottom line is this: It is better for you to have consistency in your exercise than to worry about the two extra calories you might burn from doing weights or cardio first."
Old 06-05-23, 08:55 AM  
Vantreesta

I don't know that I've ever looked at it from a weight loss angle, but it seems like what I've read most is if you are more focused on increasing your cardio capacity and endurance, do your cardio first. If you're more focused on building strength, lift weights first. Maybe mix it up and do it one way one day and the opposite another day?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 08:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Arnold S. recommends doing your weights first. His philosophy is that doing your cardio first will lower your energy to give the weights your all.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 09:19 AM  
donnamp

I think it is personal preference. I personally like to do cardio first to warm up - but I don't generally do "killer" strength workouts - like working to failure. I think if you are lifting like that it is best to do the weights first and then the cardio or to just alternate cardio and weight days. or do one type of workout in the morning, the other in the evening so you will be "fresh" for both?

If you just do both on occasion and for the most part split your days up between weights and cardio - it probably doesn't really matter and you can mix it up and try weights first one day and cardio first the next day.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 09:45 AM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Arnold S. recommends doing your weights first. His philosophy is that doing your cardio first will lower your energy to give the weights your all.
Yepper. If I try to lift heavy after doing cardio my form quickly goes in the $hitter.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 10:08 AM  
laurawd

Listen to the get fit guy's latest podcast

https://get-fit-guy.simplecast.com/e...e-fat-Sr9AeCi1
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 03:41 PM  
Negin

Thank you all!
Old 06-05-23, 04:00 PM  
edensmom

In whichever order you will actually do it. If I do weights before cardio, cardio isn't going to happen despite all my best intentions. I'm tired and I don't actually love doing cardio 🙃. But if I do cardio first it actually gets done. The caveat is that it needs to be shorter, more moderate, and generally not on leg day so I can start my workout on a full tank.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:21 PM  
ChelePA

Hope you can read this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4865  
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I used to do cardio first, sort of like a warm-up for weights. Then for a long time I was a member of the "Weights First" checkin here on VF! I think the idea was what others have mentioned, that you'll be able to lift heavier/get better strength gains if you do weights first.

Now I really don't do much cardio at all; I try to do a longer cardio routine by itself one day, and I'll choose weight workouts that have some aerobic benefit. If I do plan to do both on the same day, I tend to be like edensmom - I don't really l love cardio, so I'll get that over with first.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, cardio first, fitness routine, weights, weights first, when to workout