Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-05-22, 01:05 PM  
manleym

Hi Everyone!

Kittybug that's too bad about Travis's "new" workouts. Sounds like he just re-marketed previous workouts, which is not what you were hoping for. And so sorry about the shovel max! What a beating! I hope your back is feeling better.

Horusosiris agree that Cathe's mixed segments on some of her dvds and 4 Day Split are among her best work ever. They are just so complete and for the most part fun. I hope things are getting better for you. Bee said it so well - we are all here for each other. I know this group has helps me tremendously when I'm feeling down or stuck, or whatever. We are all just. so. tired....

ChelePA I'm so very, very sorry to read about your daughter's friend's dad. That is just heartbreaking. A woman in our Lifegroup from church lost her sister Monday from Covid. Her sister was hospitalized Saturday and passed away Monday. This is just so tragic. I'm glad your hubby is feeling better and that you've remained symptom free. My hubby tested positive but is pretty much over it now. Mild symptoms compared to so many others. I remained symptom free. Quite a few of his friends and co-workers have it now. It seems like it's a matter of when, not if....sadly.

Nathalie Caroline just GETS you, doesn't she?!? Since I've been doing her workouts more consistently I have DOMS. And I like her variations of some moves. But I can definitely FEEL her workouts!

Kids all came back to campus Tuesday. It is literally like the first day of school because so many of them haven't been to school since March 2020, or never if they're in K-2nd grades. Most of my students are wearing masks and I think alot of them have been vaccinated. I know it's frustrating as a parent not having the virtual option but most of the students I work with (elementary) need to be at school. They don't have the maturity, etc. to do online learning. ChelePA our district didn't give an online option this year for middle and high school since the vaccine was available. And once the vaccine became available for elementary the district stopped online learning. So many teachers are burned out or leaving the profession altogether. A retired co-worker told me that her niece who teaches outside of Chicago went to the Dr for anti-depressants and 24 other teachers had been there asking for them before her. And I know this isn't just the teaching profession. It's hitting everyone, everywhere HARD!! So much fatigue and burnout. Time's getting away from me! Back later my friends!

Workouts:
Monday - Caroline Proper Leg Day Workout with Dumbbells EPIC Endgame Day 1 (60 seconds per exercise with 30 seconds rest; staple is high squats; RDLs - really slowed down; Finisher: 100 Bodyweight Heel Elevated Squats - legs burned out!)

Tuesday - Caroline Bold Upper Body Workout with Dumbbells EPIC Endgame Day 2 (LOVED! Flew! shoulder, back, chest and arm muscles; 60 sec, then 30 sec rest; Staple: Diagonal Raise; Finisher - 100 Frontal Raises)
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 01:37 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
That might be ~because~ of your certifications, hah hah hah! Just kidding. Sort of. I say this as someone with a reiki master certification and yes, I've intentionally lower-cased those.
kittybug - Maybe you can send me a virtual tune-up.

bee - I only have certifications for 1st and 2nd Reiki levels. So not a Master. Of anything.

ChelePA - Sorry for the losses. The heartbreak never ends.

horusosiris & manleym - (((HUGS!)))

My two cats were feral rescues. They have severe food anxiety issues. Despite being fed regularly three times per day for 7 years, they start screaming for meals well before feeding times (starting around 5 am for breakfast ). It has only gotten worse over the years. Our vet is trying some meds for Dewey. Not working so far...

Yesterday was foam rolling and stretching.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 01:44 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
kittybug - Maybe you can send me a virtual tune-up.

bee - I only have certifications for 1st and 2nd Reiki levels. So not a Master. Of anything.

ChelePA - Sorry for the losses. The heartbreak never ends.

horusosiris & manleym - (((HUGS!)))

My two cats were feral rescues. They have severe food anxiety issues. Despite being fed regularly three times per day for 7 years, they start screaming for meals well before feeding times (starting around 5 am for breakfast ). It has only gotten worse over the years. Our vet is trying some meds for Dewey. Not working so far...

Yesterday was foam rolling and stretching.
Hah hah...um, my apologies...my comment was meant to disparage reiki and certainly not you, BabyW!!! I hope I wasn't taken the wrong way. Anyway, that journey is a long story I won't bore you all with here.

Aaaaaahhhhh, three of our four kitties were ferals and one was a stray. The only one without food anxiety is the stray who can't be bothered to even get out of bed to eat with the group most of the time, but the rest? VULTURES. Absolute VULTURES. BabyW, I do believe you've nailed the issue, thank you!!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 03:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

kittybug, yikes, ShovelMax! I'm sorry you're having to deal with that -- take care of your back! On the feeding cats issue..... sounds like you and Baby are onto something. I've had six cats in my adult life -- five from the pound, one feral. I always just put out food for them and they all grazed without going overboard. I guess I was lucky!!

manleym and Nathalie, the thing I really love about Caroline's workouts -- especially the more recent ones -- is that she wants you to go at such a slow pace and I really feel that. One of the upper body ones I've done recently does tricep dips really slowly -- opposite of Cathe who always whizzes through them. I do feel them with Cathe, too, but feel them differently with that slow Caroline pace.

No workout for me again today. I'm trying an experiment of laying off it except for the PT, and playing with icy-hot/epsom soaks, etc., to figure out some combination of less pain and more sleep. I'm not sure I'm honing in on any correct answer though.

Oh excitement here...... the plumber has arrived!
Old 01-05-22, 06:47 PM  
Mickey12

Bee, just popping in to say that I was taking gabapentin when I had my back issues. It’s for nerve pain and it helped. You mentioned the therapist said your issue was a nerve in your back, so it that’s correct, you might need something for nerve pain, like gabapentin. I hope you find what works soon.
Old 01-05-22, 07:28 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Bee, just popping in to say that I was taking gabapentin when I had my back issues. It’s for nerve pain and it helped. You mentioned the therapist said your issue was a nerve in your back, so it that’s correct, you might need something for nerve pain, like gabapentin. I hope you find what works soon.
Did you have any weird side effects from it? My husband was on it for a while and I think it made him sleep walk and do strange things in his sleep (but I may be confusing it with something else he tried). In any case, that is a good thought -- thank you! I will talk to the PT and doctor about it. Your back is better now?
Old 01-05-22, 08:13 PM  
Mickey12

Bee I didn’t have any side effects at all from gabapentin. Generally though, I don’t have side effects from medication. I don’t think anything has ever bothered me except erythromycin, an antibiotic, which upset my stomach.

Yes, my back is feeling better. I had weakness in my right leg for quite a while until I got my strength back, but I don’t notice any imbalances now.

I went for a walk at lunch and tonight I did Erin O’Brien’s Strong Body, Ageless Body. It looks like she filmed it in her living room with a big window and sunshine behind her. It’s a great setting on a dreary January day.
Old 01-05-22, 08:21 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Bee, that sounds like it might have been Ambien.

Kim, if that DVD you mentioned is the one I'm thinking of (that I have, really liked, haven't done in ages) there are some funny clips at the end with the crew talking about how they (don't) work out!!!

Today I did Travis' PY 108 Detox, which is a whole lot like UY Detox. I'm feeling all that twisting and not in a really good way...I think it aggravated something, sigh.

Have a good night, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 10:54 PM  
ChelePA

Kittybug…shoveling is always quite the workout. Hope your back is better.

Bee…I’m also thinking Ambien as the med. My sister had a similar reaction.

Kim…glad Gabapentin worked for you. We have talked about it in the future if my leg becomes a chronic issue. It did nothing for my husband. You just never know.

Interesting about the cats and eating issues. When we first got Winston, our breeder told us to make sure he felt safe with food. She thought the previous owners weren’t giving him enough to eat as a puppy. So at night we would always give him a snack so he never felt hungry. Maybe I made him feel a little too comfortable with food since he’s overweight now. Ha ha.

I just popped in to ask a quick question because I know you are all so much more knowledgeable in this area. I’ve started doing more and more meditation and yoga workouts these days. Can you tell me what the difference is with breathing in through your nose and out through your nose. Or breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. Benefits? Differences? Why do you do it one way versus another? Thanks
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 10:52 AM  
horusosiris

Today I did Cathe Live 377 -Total Body Circuit. It consisted of seven rounds of lower body, upper body and core work. I must say that this workout was fairly easy. Cathe did include a few moves that she said would be on her new workout series. Yesterday I did Barre 3 and HDM.

Bee thank you for the kindest words and encouragement. I honestly really meant so much to me and it came at a time that I was feeling particularly low.

I am thankful for this group and the cyber friendships that have evolved.

Kitty- I hope your back is feeling better.

Chel- so sorry for the recent losses. These are indeed difficult times for so many.

Manelym- thank you. And I appreciate your and all the others having my back. Yes, so much fatigue and burnout and I am in that same boat.

Lately I have been seriously considering leaving the university. I ponder it almost every day. I do not believe there is a sector of society that has been unaffected by covid. I think about how much our family and extended family dynamic has been altered. Normally we would have a big family and friends Super Bowl cross generational bash but not so this year. No thanksgiving get-together, no holiday get- together, no New Year marathon movie night. Normally on New Year’s Eve, we have a marathon Honey Mooners, Harry Potter, Stars Wars get together. No Super Bowl but I can hold out hope for the 4th of July! We shall see…

Waves to Everyone.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in