Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-22, 07:48 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Hey this reminds me..... in that killer lunge day of Iron, when she does the forward leaning lunges on the yoga block..... this is sort of the opposite of how Cathe does forward leaning lunges. Cathe usually elevates the back foot, not the front foot. I think Cathe is aiming to work the glute and maybe Caroline is trying to hit the quad more? Does anyone have any other wisdom on this to offer?
What you're describing re: Cathe is what Caroline would call a forward leaning Bulgarian lunge. In some of her more recent workouts (I'm sorry, I can't remember specifically which ones), Cathe does the same type of forward leaning lunge that you're describing on the 4" platform of the step. (I use the step topper when I do these types of moves in Caroline's workouts, as teh yoga block never felt particularly stable to me -- maybe just because I have really large feet!)
Old 04-28-22, 03:17 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yeah I really didn't like the Day 6 Leg workout in Iron Series. My left knee was talking to me so I cut the workout short. It wasn't that the workout was "hard" per se but rather there wasn't much variety and I found it boring. Plus I am going on a hiking centered vacation in a few weeks and I don't want to pre-injure myself!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-22, 03:26 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
What you're describing re: Cathe is what Caroline would call a forward leaning Bulgarian lunge. In some of her more recent workouts (I'm sorry, I can't remember specifically which ones), Cathe does the same type of forward leaning lunge that you're describing on the 4" platform of the step. (I use the step topper when I do these types of moves in Caroline's workouts, as teh yoga block never felt particularly stable to me -- maybe just because I have really large feet!)
Cathe calls those push dips.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 06:48 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Yeah I really didn't like the Day 6 Leg workout in Iron Series. My left knee was talking to me so I cut the workout short. It wasn't that the workout was "hard" per se but rather there wasn't much variety and I found it boring. Plus I am going on a hiking centered vacation in a few weeks and I don't want to pre-injure myself!
As much as I like Caroline, and I really do. I find her workouts really repetitive, I don't mind a couple sets but three or more I am just not interested.

To be honest, she is way beyond my level right now. I like her beginner weight EPIC workout a lot though, and some of her booty band workouts.

Today's workout is a leg workout where she is doing step ups, on a 20 inch step. Why so high? That just seems unnecessary to me. Reminds me of the Firm where you did leg press on a 14 inch box, and they would say 17 inches for taller exercisers. I dropped down to 10 inches a few years ago and wish I would have done it much sooner.

I am dealing with hip issues currently and can't do much of anything. I am pretty owly about it, and kind of wish I wouldn't have used such a high box for doing leg presses all those years, and can't help but wonder if that might have contributed to it. I also did step aerobics for many years, but always just used a 6 inch box. If I can ever return to step, I will probably just do it on a 4 inch platform going forward.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 05:48 PM  
Hazel Porter

I'm not going to tell anyone they have to do step ups on a 20" box (or a box at about knee height) if they have knee issues or for whatever reason, but step ups at that height are fairly common in the gym, where a weight bench is often used for this move. It places your knee slightly above your glutes at the bottom of the move so the glutes get more activation. It also lets you end on a flat foot so you have less ability to push off from the bottom with the non-working leg (I always wondered why the FIRM gave the opposite advice -- bending that bottom leg always made it harder for me to resist pushing off).

Can you tell I LOVED Day 21? LOL Day 22 (chest and back) also was a superb workout. I have really, really loved this series.
Old 05-03-22, 07:45 PM  
Dontmindthemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
Can you tell I LOVED Day 21? LOL Day 22 (chest and back) also was a superb workout. I have really, really loved this series.
I too really enjoyed this week’s leg workout!! I loved the step ups and did them on my Fanny lifter but I could have went higher. These are not firm step ups at all, they’re slow and I really felt my core working too. I’ve found the other quad workouts in Iron more of an eat my vegetables type of workout but they’re only 30 minutes so they’re over before I can really complain.

The past 18 months have been really tough on my workouts. I was working an overnight shift for 7 months and went through menopause at the same time so I didn’t have the energy a lot of days to workout and jumping felt horrible. Even after my hours went back to normal I have been struggling with consistency. These workouts have really gotten me back on track!! I feel like I am going to get back to my previous fitness level. They’re short enough that I can do some cardio or yoga and they don’t wipe me out. Highly recommended!!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 07:56 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I hate step ups, lol. I subbed slow Body weight static lunges instead. I only got halfway when my internet started acting up, so I’ll add the other half to tomorrow’s workout. But this has been my least favorite Iron Leg Day. I’m also not a fan of the shoulders only workouts.

But overall the program is really great! I can’t believe it’s week 5 already!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 08:26 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
I too really enjoyed this week’s leg workout!! I loved the step ups and did them on my Fanny lifter but I could have went higher. These are not firm step ups at all, they’re slow and I really felt my core working too.
Jane
I haven't done this workout yet, but I did preview her step ups and noticed they are quite different from Firm tall box climbs. Whenever I would do the Firm tall box climbs, I felt like it was more cardio than strength because of the speed of them. While previewing CG's they were slow and focused so I imagine you would feel it more in your muscles. I'll get to the workout someday and I'll test out that theory. (I'm kind of bouncing around with her workouts in the Iron Series and mixing in cardio days.)
Old 05-04-22, 11:01 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Ella, Erica and Pretty in Pink, I felt the same way about some of her earlier programs but the Iron Series seems more balanced. You work lower body three days (glutes/quads/total body) and upper body three days (splits two days/total body). I like the set up of this series a lot, I don’t feel like any body part is over worked. I just finished #17 Upper Body but subbed scull crushers for the repeated dips, and she suggested that in her intro to make it work for you. I hate tricep dips, (did I say that earlier) lol.
Thanks for the comparison with other work. I’ve never done another program of hers, just random ones.

I think this series is pretty good for what it is.

It is just reminding me that I much prefer to keep the upper body focus on compound exercises (various presses, push-ups, chin-ups and rows) rather than all the biceps, triceps, and shoulder isolation work she does. My biceps are stronger from doing chin-up work than I ever was with three sets of several different biceps and triceps exercises in one workout, and my arms look about the same either way, with much less time spent with the compound work. And I feel like a badass, lol, rather than watching the clock through yet another set of curls. I also prefer more leg work than this has, a little more glutes at least.

I feel she also includes a few questionable exercises, questionable for both safety and effectiveness. Upright rows and a few press variations I’ve never seen before that felt wonky to me.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 11:05 AM  
buffmama

I'm having a lot of fun doing her FB workouts - some strength and some HIIT. I really like HIIT with DB. It's freeing to do the things that work for me and leave the rest.

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors