Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-22, 11:40 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
So I did Iron Series day 6: Quads and I hated the entire workout. 5002 bulgarian lunges...no thank you. I modified and did various squats and step ups but I should have Joni O'd it! I even hated the stretch. Bleh. As I make myself through the workouts, I'm making notes so I can sub a workout I do like. I should have just done day 1 again.
Angela, you probably won’t enjoy Day #11 then because it’s mainly lots of variations of lunges. I don’t mind the repetition so much, I’m finding I reach total exhaustion on the body part being worked, which I like because it feels like I might be building some muscle.

I just finished Day #12 Chest/Triceps and loved it! The hardest workout for me so far has been Day #9 Full Body Dumbbell Cardio. The push presses/squat to press got me! My triceps were shaking by the end and my heart rate was in the cardio zone the entire time. I’m kind of hoping this week’s Friday workout is as good or better!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-22, 06:15 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Angela, you probably won’t enjoy Day #11 then because it’s mainly lots of variations of lunges. I don’t mind the repetition so much, I’m finding I reach total exhaustion on the body part being worked, which I like because it feels like I might be building some muscle.

I just finished Day #12 Chest/Triceps and loved it! The hardest workout for me so far has been Day #9 Full Body Dumbbell Cardio. The push presses/squat to press got me! My triceps were shaking by the end and my heart rate was in the cardio zone the entire time. I’m kind of hoping this week’s Friday workout is as good or better!
Kathy, my lower legs on the outside near my ankles give me fits and I need to find a better cross trainer. The leg that is back on lunges, gives out in that lower area and/or I get a foot cramp. I want to shop for new shoes this weekend and see if that remedies that.

I did day 7 today, Shoulders and Tri's and LOVED it. She had some fabulous variations on triciep exercises that really worked that area. I find a lot of workouts rely on tricep dips and tricep push ups and my body gives out (especially my range of motion on tricpe dips as it gets into my shoulders). I listened to the introduction for form pointers as there were a couple of new to me exercises. I found it doable but tough and one to grow with.
Old 04-22-22, 10:52 AM  
prettyinpink

I tried the first few days of the Iron series and decided to stick with it for a couple of weeks.

I was feeling dread for my paper workout programs and wanted a break but want to maintain strength. I think this will work great for that. I love that they are short and the timed intervals are motivating, even if maybe not the best method for strength.

I am not sure how balanced this is as an overall plan, but it is fun for now.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 10:57 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Kathy, my lower legs on the outside near my ankles give me fits and I need to find a better cross trainer. The leg that is back on lunges, gives out in that lower area and/or I get a foot cramp. I want to shop for new shoes this weekend and see if that remedies that.

I did day 7 today, Shoulders and Tri's and LOVED it. She had some fabulous variations on triciep exercises that really worked that area. I find a lot of workouts rely on tricep dips and tricep push ups and my body gives out (especially my range of motion on tricpe dips as it gets into my shoulders). I listened to the introduction for form pointers as there were a couple of new to me exercises. I found it doable but tough and one to grow with.
Sorry you’re having pain/discomfort with lunges Angela. There are certain moves I modify too because of knee pain. I’m really not a fan of the deep Bulgarian lunges Caroline does off her chair, so I normally just use my high step topper with one riser.

My triceps have gone to failure on this series and started quivering at the end, lol. I hate dips, ugh, so sometimes I substitute over head tricep extensions or skull crushers on the floor. I feel dips more in my shoulders which I’ve had injuries on the last few years. Geez, I hate getting older, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 04-23-22, 07:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey this reminds me..... in that killer lunge day of Iron, when she does the forward leaning lunges on the yoga block..... this is sort of the opposite of how Cathe does forward leaning lunges. Cathe usually elevates the back foot, not the front foot. I think Cathe is aiming to work the glute and maybe Caroline is trying to hit the quad more? Does anyone have any other wisdom on this to offer?
Old 04-24-22, 10:12 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I tried the first few days of the Iron series and decided to stick with it for a couple of weeks.

I was feeling dread for my paper workout programs and wanted a break but want to maintain strength. I think this will work great for that. I love that they are short and the timed intervals are motivating, even if maybe not the best method for strength.

I am not sure how balanced this is as an overall plan, but it is fun for now.
That is why I never clicked with her programs, they just never felt balanced to me.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 10:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
That is why I never clicked with her programs, they just never felt balanced to me.
That's how I've always felt too. I pick and choose which workouts to use and do my own rotation. I pretty much only use her strength work and feel like she does way too much shoulder work so I skip or shorten those and add my own. I do love her workouts though - just not all of them or her actual rotations.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 06:48 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Sorry you’re having pain/discomfort with lunges Angela. There are certain moves I modify too because of knee pain. I’m really not a fan of the deep Bulgarian lunges Caroline does off her chair, so I normally just use my high step topper with one riser.

My triceps have gone to failure on this series and started quivering at the end, lol. I hate dips, ugh, so sometimes I substitute over head tricep extensions or skull crushers on the floor. I feel dips more in my shoulders which I’ve had injuries on the last few years. Geez, I hate getting older, lol.
I did day 8 today. I thought it was a great workout. I do most of my thrusters on the floor. I'm looking forward to day 9 but I know it's going to be killer. That is on tap for Tuesday. And yes, the joys of getting older.
Old 04-25-22, 07:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
So I did Iron Series day 6: Quads and I hated the entire workout. 5002 bulgarian lunges...no thank you. I modified and did various squats and step ups but I should have Joni O'd it! I even hated the stretch. Bleh. As I make myself through the workouts, I'm making notes so I can sub a workout I do like. I should have just done day 1 again.
This is the next one I am doing next. It sounds brutal so thanks for the warning. I'll have my step handy.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-22, 10:05 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Hey this reminds me..... in that killer lunge day of Iron, when she does the forward leaning lunges on the yoga block..... this is sort of the opposite of how Cathe does forward leaning lunges. Cathe usually elevates the back foot, not the front foot. I think Cathe is aiming to work the glute and maybe Caroline is trying to hit the quad more? Does anyone have any other wisdom on this to offer?
Bee, you are probably right on the emphasis depending on which leg you elevate. I prefer the Cathe way though, it’s less stressful on my bad knee.

Angela, I started doing the thrusters on the floor after the first week too. For some reason it’s more comfortable on my lower back to do them that way instead.

Ella, Erica and Pretty in Pink, I felt the same way about some of her earlier programs but the Iron Series seems more balanced. You work lower body three days (glutes/quads/total body) and upper body three days (splits two days/total body). I like the set up of this series a lot, I don’t feel like any body part is over worked. I just finished #17 Upper Body but subbed scull crushers for the repeated dips, and she suggested that in her intro to make it work for you. I hate tricep dips, (did I say that earlier) lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors