Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-16-23, 09:04 AM  
donnamp

Sherry,

While I agree with what others have said that there is no shame in taking a statin, I do understand where you are coming from b/c I'm in the same place! I have made it to age 56 without taking any meds and it does feel like a defeat/loss to have to start taking something. Especially when I feel I have done nothing to 'deserve' it. My Dr hasn't suggested that I start taking anything, but I do worry that is coming around the corner at some point and I will feel disappointed and down about it - even if there is no "shame" in it. And I do worry about all the potential side effects from medications - it seems like they cure one thing but cause another problem for which there is yet another pill, and so on and so on....

I'm hoping this year things are better for me - I have been doing the chia seeds and such - trying the fish oil when I remember to etc.

I also think that there is a too much of a "one size fits all' approach to medicine in the US - maybe other factors should be considered before automatically putting someone on a drug. From what i understand there is more to heart disease risk than just elevated LDL. And our bodies and brains do need cholesterol so getting it down super low may not be the best thing for the rest of our body.

I also think that age should be taken into consideration - and what is normal for each age group. Menopause and losing estrogen is normal - so if that causes an increase in LDL maybe the guidelines should be revised for menopausal women. We aren't meant to stay the same our whole lives.

Anyway - just rambling on this subject.

Donna
Old 11-24-23, 01:37 PM  
SEV

Sherry,

My cholesterol went up considerably this year, which coincided with officially becoming post menopausal.

Since I am in good health, my doctor recommended I get a "calcium scan" to see if there really is a problem. I got one this week and heard today there there is no build up in my arteries, which my Dr said she suspected.

Could be an option for you, although it's not recommended for everyone.

Good luck!
Susan
Old 11-28-23, 09:13 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEV View Post
Sherry,

My cholesterol went up considerably this year, which coincided with officially becoming post menopausal.

Since I am in good health, my doctor recommended I get a "calcium scan" to see if there really is a problem. I got one this week and heard today there there is no build up in my arteries, which my Dr said she suspected.

Could be an option for you, although it's not recommended for everyone.

Good luck!
Susan
My cholesterol levels increased significantly at my 2021 and 2022 physicals. I expressed concern to the PA (I was scheduled with her instead of my usual doctor at this practice) and she was very dismissive and didn't think the calcium scan was a good idea. I was concerned because my father had heart disease and had to have bypass surgery when he was about the age I am now. I resolved never to see that PA again and instead went to a new doctor in the practice in May that came highly recommended. She spent a lot of time with me and agreed that I should get the calcium scan due to the increase in total and LDL (my HDL has always been and still is high.) I decided to get the bloodwork done again before the scan and lo and behold my total went down like 30 points so I asked to be excused from the calcium test and she agreed for the short term. My hypothesis: after my second high test I started using mostly egg whites in my omelets and almost completely removed bacon from my diet ( I was having it about once a week.) Also, before my May bloodwork my bloodwork was always done in September which is at the end of the summer when I was eating ice cream like every day! This summer I reduced my ice cream consumption significantly. So I do need to watch it because of the family history. I used to always have good levels and my habits were getting lax.
P.S. Both DH and DD are now seeing the same great doctor and she gets rave reviews from us all. So glad she joined the practice.
ETA: I also have thyroid issues since infancy and went through meno about 12 years ago.
Old 11-29-23, 06:35 AM  
Carol K

Even though my LDL was a little too high, my doctor didn't put me on a statin until he tested for C-reactive protein. That test showed that I was at high risk for cardiovascular disease, which was not surprising since my mother had high blood pressure and cholesterol all her life, took six medications, had an angioplasty and died of a heart attack at 75. I've been taking simvastatin for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. There are many different statins and if your doctor thinks you need to be on one, I would not resist it. And yes, there is a link between cholesterol and thyroid. My sister is hypothyroid and takes a statin. My other sister is hyperthyroid and takes an osteoporosis drug. I take a statin and a calcium-inhibiter for my blood pressure. So we're even.

Tags
cholesterol, hypothyroid, menopause, thyroid