Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-14, 07:07 PM  
4leftlimbs

Your first treasured workout video

The threads about Collage and how some of you ordered your first workout through them has got me wondering... What was your first well-used and/or well-loved workout video, and when and where did you purchase it?

Mine was the Firm's Better Body and Buns (think it was also my first bought) that I purchased from a chain called Media Play in New York State in 1998. They sold different types of...well, media (CDs, VHSs, books, etc), and I remember them to have an eclectic/hodge-podge collection (or maybe I was just very unaware of these items' existence in other stores!). (Just did a quick search and found out that the chain was owned by Musicland, which was then bought out by Best Buy.)

I had never heard of The Firm, but I guess I was attracted to the promise of a better body and better buns! I'm sure I was embarrassed to hand the cashier a video that included the word "buns" in its title ("Why couldn't they've just called it Better Body? Wouldn't that cover everything??"), but I braved the humiliation. I'm glad, many years later, I was able to buy Bedroom Body online and through a workout-only video site - these kinds of titles are just-another-day-at-the-office for them!
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:10 PM  
Sissy B

While it was not my first workout DVD, my first well-used/well-loved video was probably Cindy Crawford's A New Dimension on VHS. I think I got it at Walmart when it was first released. I liked it so much I eventually got the DVD.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:12 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I remember those Media Play stores! They had a really good selection of workout tapes!

I can't really remember what my first actual video workout was though, might have been Cosmopolitan Tonetics that I bought in 1991 or something. I don't think I ever actually did the workout and probably sold the video in a garage sale or donated it.

I remember purchasing some of the Buns of Steel series videos in early 1994 and did those for a while (Legs of Steel, Abs of Steel, etc.)
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

callanetics 10/10 from Waldenbooks in 1986. it was betamax!!! ha ha!

never bought another workout video until about 5 years later, and it was from Blockbuster video - Kathy smith's weightloss workout on vhs.

i did lots of workouts from ExerciseTV on cable (Gilad, The Method, Tamilee, Gaiam).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:25 PM  
vanessakm

Great question! My very first video was Jane Fonda's old step video. A co-worker gave me that and the step (which I still have.) I got in shape with that thing. I used it for months 5 days a week and finally realized that doing the same workout every night forever might get old. So I bought Step Reebok from Target, and that I still have-on VHS (probably goes worth out saying at this point ) it's still one of my favorites ever.

I discovered Collage around that time. I can't remember what I ordered from them first, but I know that's where I discovered Cathe, The Firm, and Karen voight.
vanessakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:43 PM  
Jane1721

My first treasured video was Firm Vol. 2, which my mom pre-ordered for me for Christmas when I was a teenager. I still have it!

My first well-liked video was Charlene Prickett's Rev Up. I also had Denise Austin's Complete Workout, but it drove me nuts because she did not do the reps evenly on both sides. I recently got her Hit the Spot Pilates workout and even after several decades, Denise still can't count...
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:44 PM  
loverly7

Crunch Cardio Salsa, purchased online at Collage Video. I'm not sure of the year I bought it, but it was probably around 10 years ago. It was my first exercise video and I enjoyed it very much. I donated it to the library about six months ago (I had not used it for ages because Zumba is so awesome), but last night I seriously considered repurchasing it from Collage Video as a last purchase from them. Seems kind of poetic, but I didn't do it. I may yet change my mind, but I'm not planning on it. (I'm not, I'm not, I'm not...)
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 08:25 PM  
Kitten

My first bought is my first treasured. I bought Jane Fonda's Complete Workout,brand new, from K-mart. I recently got my driver license and stopped walking everywhere, so I'd put on a few pounds. I still have this and did recently
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 08:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Well, strictly speaking, it was on vinyl. Jane Fonda's original workout.

The video didn't wow me at all.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 08:34 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I ordered Firm Volume 2 on VHS in the clamshell case from The Firm for like $50 plus shipping. A couple months later I ordered Volume 1. I alternated those two for a long time - year or two, maybe longer? I had a handful of other videotapes but nothing compared.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first videos