Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-21, 06:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

What are your fitness gadget or accessory fails?

This topic came up in my check-in and I wanted to share it with the class!

While I have had some GREAT workout toy purchases, there's no way you won't run into a few fails along the way.

So what fitness toys or gadgets were fails for you?

I'll start!

Let's see there was the squishy ring from Danskin: I might as well have used a paper towel roll.

Then there was a weighted jump rope: I never could get the length right... nearly shattered the light fixture and it was just too much for clodhopper me.

Oh the pedometer: it did serve as a flexibility tool because it kept falling off me forcing me to pick it up off the ground

Armband for cellphone: I always ended up having to pull my phone out of it for whatever reason.

Many moons ago it was the home sized step. Well, the home sized step wasn't really a fail because my daughter ended up stepping on it. But for me, it was a frustrating size to try to use for all my step workouts.

I may have more but will need you guys to remind me

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 07:47 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I am a life long Firmie, but to me the Wave was a big fail.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:05 AM  
muggle

Typically I think long and hard about what I spend on "toys" because I don't like to waste my money. But......I got a BOSU and hardly use it. The workouts I had for it were really hard so i got rid of them.. I guess it's not really a fail because I use it for burpees and such.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:10 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Ditto on the Wave - that was an accident waiting to happen at my house.

Then there was the infamous Firm "Death Box". But that wasn't really our fault.

My most recent fail was the Door Barre. I really wanted that to work - but it wasn't very stable on my narrow door.

I have recently purchased, but not yet received, the CoreFirst Trainer https://mycorefirst.com/corefirst-pilates/ and the pilates program that goes with it. Hoping that is not a fail.

Not a fail, but a success - my Booty Kicker barre. I love it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:11 AM  
bubbles76

For me it was the following:
  • Ab roller
  • Pedometer - never used it.
  • Some complicated pull up assist bands. They kept falling out of their holder. I can't describe it, but will try to link a picture if I can find it.
  • Ab Rocket - this is more Big Bubble He never uses it.

I don't use the following as much as I should, but I'm hoping to do more with it:
  • Rebounder - just bought stronger bungees, so I see myself using it more
  • Weighted jump rope - put my calves on fire this week when I used it, so I love it again!
  • Bosu - I was going to use it primarily for cardio, but I nearly tripped on it one time. I've been shy about using it, but I know I need to get back on it. I still use it occasionally for strength work.
  • Bands and tubing - I just upgraded so I plan to use them more!

Although I used to own a home step, I don't consider it a fail. It introduced me to my most loved aerobic activity! I got a lot of use out of it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

At first I loved my Supreme Pilates so much! Then it just turned into a beast that I moved from room to room. The last time I used it, I forgot to screw the rear supports properly and when I pulled the bar towards me it collapsed on my head. Almost got a black eye. So that went off to Goodwill.

Stott sold a high resistance magic circle, which after I paid good money for it and it arrived, the hard handles killed my inner thighs.

Speaking of Stott, I have an baby arc barrel that I move to dust under. Big waste there.

I'm sure there's more.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:25 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

At one time I would have said my Bosu and TRX, but over the past year I have been using them much more. Whereas there are very few good DVD workouts using those gadgets, I have discovered a ton of amazing YouTube workouts. Same with my foam roller.

I rarely use my wobble board. The only time I use it is for one of Charlene Prickett's strength workouts.

As for a fail, I would say my water holder belt for running. I never use it on training runs (I just drink water at home before and after my runs). I once wore it for a very crowded road race, and it fell to the ground just as I (and several hundred others in my corral) crossed the start line. Never again.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 08:25 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I really need to get rid of my Fluidity barre. I liked it at first but it is so big and cumbersome to move around. I bought it cheap off Craigslist so not a big deal. I just use a chair.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 09:37 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

• Step 360
  • Body Blades
  • Thigh master
  • BOSU

I'm sure there are plenty of others that are escaping me right now.

Also, the Gin Miller Ramp....later Leslie. I just don't use it.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 09:55 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I really need to get rid of my Fluidity barre. I liked it at first but it is so big and cumbersome to move around. I bought it cheap off Craigslist so not a big deal. I just use a chair.
That's me exactly! I would get rid of it in a heartbeat but I don't know anyone who would want it and use it and it would be a shame just to throw it out.

Bosu is another fail. I never use it. Also, even though I like my Bellicon 49" rebounder just fine, it was an unnecessary (and expensive!) purchase since I already owned a Jumpsport which I actually like better.

Tags
body blade, bodyblade, equipment gathering dust, fitness gadget, gadget fails, gadgets