Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-21, 02:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Beth, I have bigger thighs too. I have a pretty wide stance, although I haven't actually tried to compare mine to Lauren's. I wonder if arm length makes a difference too?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 03:27 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I see a lot of the FB members are using Kbs that are heavier than I ever dreamed of. Good on them. My heaviest is 20 lb, which I haven't used yet. Wish I could get an 18 lb as was mentioned upthread. I did day 3 today, all swings with my 15 lb Kb. Did I mention that I'm a supersenior? Age 74.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 03:36 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
jenilu I'm not sure I'd do it twice a day in your case ...even if your weights are light for you. Especially since there are days where she changes up the kinds of swings. I say use it like you mentioned and enjoy the seven days as part of your day's movement. Then see how you feel after the week ends.
bless you!! It messed up last night as I had med equipment attached to me that I wasn't expecting and I kept sweating it off and bandages weren't helping me put them back on, so I had to give up for the night, but once al that is off, I will try again tonight- but definately thankyou for that advice!! I will do a yoga after or something.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 03:39 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks for the additional info.

I did Day 1 & 2 today; hopefully tomorrow I can do Day 3 & 4 to be caught up. I like it! It was a lot easier for me to do swings broken up like that; other videos seem to have you do them for 45-60 seconds, which is harder for me. I did Day 1 as a warm-up, then some Pilates, then Day 2. I used my 12 kg KB for the double-hand swings and my 8 KG for the others.

I am still on the fence about joining the FB group but might pop in. I do have a question for you all - any advice for those who have bigger thighs? I find that I have less room to "hike" between my legs than any instructors I see. I manage, but I'm wonder if others have any tips!
Total hip/thigh girl here, lol. I just have to go a little wider. Don't know if that helps at all. She is a bit different than what I did way back when I tried SKOGG, but I think his legs were pretty wide and stayed pretty straight if I remember correctly. I may did those back out soon. They are both supposedly geniuses in this filed, so I guess either way is correct, but i do have to stand a little different than she does, and of course, keep belly tight to protect back. That was probably not any help, lol.
Bless y'all!!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 06-16-21, 03:44 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I see a lot of the FB members are using Kbs that are heavier than I ever dreamed of. Good on them. My heaviest is 20 lb, which I haven't used yet. Wish I could get an 18 lb as was mentioned upthread. I did day 3 today, all swings with my 15 lb Kb. Did I mention that I'm a supersenior? Age 74.
Mine only go to 20lb. I am just using what I have right now and going faster if I have to, am thinking about adding weighted gloves if I feel the need, but not sure if that actually does anything for you or not. if I do well with this challenge (other than how last night got cut short), I may reward myself with a heavier one if I find this does well for my issues.

How do people take such awesome pics after their workouts? Do they fix up to workout alone??? I look like I went swimming in the swamp and whatever I am wearing is pretty much see thru by the time I am done (doesn't matter what it is). I would love to take good "I did this" pics.

Old 06-16-21, 04:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Cynthia, you are doing great! I am 53, and KBs now are definitely tougher for me than when I started using them about 10 years ago.

Jenilu and Vanny, both of your responses were helpful!

I did some Google searches and I did find one plus size woman doing a kettlebell workout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYbP...nel=HollyHonjo

She does swings at 20:10. It's a little hard to see her form b/c she is standing sideways for the swings. She is bigger than me, but b/c she holds most of her weight in her midsection, her mid-thighs might actually be smaller than mine.

If I find anything else I'll share!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 04:05 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I am using my 18lb kB to start with and hope to go heavier a bit later.
I am 67 and hope I can look as good and be as strong as you, Cynthia!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 06:26 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Gladgirl, thanks, I appreciate the compliment!
I found a used 18 lb kettlebell on amazon & ordered it. Before today, I hadn't known that kettlebells were available in 18 Lb!
Last year when I was doing LIIFT 4 on beachbody, I ordered a pair of 17.5 lb dumbbells and love them. Used them last month with beachbody's Muscle Burns Fat program. I like the intermediate weight between 15 and 20.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 10:49 PM  
fanofladyvols

I loved the Day 3 bird dogs interludes. I went lighter on the high swings.

Beth I think my stance is ever so slightly wider and sumo-ish than Lauren's to accommodate my pear-nacity

I asked Lauren about beginners and the use of the challenge. I asked if I could share her response and she said I could. So here it is in case anyone is interested:

Quote:
The Swing Challenge is a wonderful training path to either do on its own, especially for beginners, or use as an add on depending on level and program one is currently doing.

In other words, just doing the challenge on its own with a warm up and some walking is perfectly acceptable.
I try to steer clear of thinking I'm not doing enough (whether total training volume or weight selections).

Hoping no one feels pressure to do too much but enjoy the challenge in your own way.

I also wanted to mention how sweet our VF community is and encouraging each other.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 11:00 PM  
Vantreesta

Pear-nacity, I love it! And I agree, I love how the challenge is adjustable to meet each of us where we are and how supportive everyone is. Different ages, backgrounds, levels, strengths, we are one in our kettleness! Where's the strong fist emoji??

I was going to do day 2 as a warmup for my run but didn't happen, i just ran. Sub 10 minute mile though and I even walked the first minute to warmup!

Based on today I am guessing I will just be doing the challenge next week, even if the videos aren't still available. I am writing down each day's workout so I have it. I wanted to do it along with you all but that's okay.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 swings, challenge, fitness challenge, kettlebell, kettlebell challenge, kettlebell swings, kettlebells, lauren brooks, on the edge fitness, summer 2021