Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-08-21, 08:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello Mat Mavens!

Today’s workouts:
~Taught Essentrics with real students again, yay!
~4 km beach & trail walk
~BellyFit: Magic Owl
~MELT: Full Body Express Map - I can see myself doing this one on my own a lot & taking more time with it if I don’t continue the sub.

Pat - I like your avatar & I saw the full pic with the seagull on FB. I looked at the nest again & it almost looked like there was a baby there but it wasn’t moving.

Beth - The self paced program sounds interesting. But, TBH, as an “almost senior”, I have to say I don’t like people to assume I have diminished ability, lol. But, to be fair, our “senior” mat mavens are most definitely not typical of the general population. Agism is out there & I know I am probably more sensitive about it than I should be. I want to get back to using my KBs but I am tentative as I worry it will set off my low back issues. I watched that knee video and it made me cringe! But perhaps I need to try his method to make my knees stronger & healthier....definitely food for thought....

Paine - I find myself clenching more these days, likely another Covid quirk I’ve acquired.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:56 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, I'm not necessarily endorsing that knee video but saw it mentioned. I totally get what you are saying about aging. I want to know more about conditions that might impact people as they get older to help them stay strong, not to coddle them. Do you ever read the Yoga for Healthy Aging blog? I love their approach b/c they really do focus on staying as healthy as possible as we grow older and don't make assumptions about what people can/can't do. I would love to take their training, but it's at a less convenient time for me and is twice the cost, so I'm not sure that makes sense.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth - It’s good to see what’s out there & the knee video was very interesting. I’ve often thought I should be doing saddle or half saddle regularly to increase my quad flexibility. Lots of “shoulds” right, lol. I can see it’s a tough choice between the two programs.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, I think the same thing with saddle, both for my tight quads and for my hip flexors! I actually really love the stretch in Callanetics that I think is called "thigh stretch" - you are in a version of saddle, with your hands on the floor behind you, and then you do pulses by lifting your hips. I can sit on my heels comfortably and even lean back, but a full saddle (reclined all the way to the floor) hurts my back, so I have to prop.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-09-21, 07:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone, quick fly by because I have nothing to report. My office movement challenge consisted of squats and biceps; getting up to walk around more. Had a hair appointment after work and was just drained from the humidity!

I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:06 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Give Me Strength Upper Body workout plus Abs

I will get in a neighborhood walk this morning.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 01:46 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Hi. Long time no see. Hope you all are well. My shoulder has been fairly useless since I got the second Moderna shot on April 30. I had 3 hours of high fever that night. Maybe I was thrashing around and hurt my shoulder and back. I woke up with more back pain than I ever had. Then I realized my shoulder didn't work. I thought I could work it back to normal but the pain and ROM just get worse. 4 months of rehab gone in one day! I do a lot of legwork to keep me from losing my mind. Even started doing Pilates again regularly. Grissom always laid beside me when I did matwork. When he died I stopped doing matwork and let the reformer sit. Trying to do more because I can. I'm seeing the surgeon again on Friday. The man kept talking me out of seeing the Dr but I can't fix whatever is wrong. Knee, spine, hip, wrist, shoulder, that doc looks at me and sees $$$$.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings re the osprey. Monday evening I started watching around 5:30 p.m. I have it picture in picture. One bird was away from the nest, and then the other one left. Around 6 p.m. a crow came. It broke the egg, ate the insides, tried to destroy the rest of the egg and messed up the nest. Then the $!#&% looked right at the camera and cawed. One of the birds came back but the other still wasn't back at 8:30p. I thought it might be hurt or dead but was there the next morning. I noticed that since the egg is gone the birds stay near the nest more than when the egg(s) was there. The way of nature--makes ya wonder sometimes.

Beth, yes the man is still around. I know you want to know. Twice this month he surprised me. The first time I heard someone mowing my yard. He came up the driveway and got the riding mower out of the shed without me hearing anything. He picks up the mower to get it down the step. Love those muscles! The second time Meow and I were on the front porch. I was talking to him on the phone. A car turned onto my road and I said it looks like my car. It was my car! I sold it to him but he always has to leave a car here so it looks like someone is home. He brought dinner and roses. He always brings roses. It's raining down there today, he can't do yardwork, he's not answering his phone, maybe he'll show up today.

Did anyone read Caged Lion? It's about a man who worked out with Joe Pilates. It's more about Joe than the author. He tells about the lawsuit and people who may or may not have lied about certain things. It's a very good read.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 03:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda, good to hear from you, but so sorry that the 2nd vaccine shot screwed up with your shoulder! I checked the original osprey nest and saw that the 1 remaining egg was gone, so I figure something like that happened. On the bright side, yes, I do enjoy the love life updates and am glad to hear that your man is still around! That book does sound interesting; I will look out for it.

Still trying to decide on an alternate training. I get easily annoyed when I send out an email inquiry and get no response or an inadequate one...but it seems like that's how virtually everyplace is these days.

On the plus side, I'm meeting a friend for ice cream tonight, so maybe that will put me in a better frame of mind.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-09-21, 08:18 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Tuesday's Workout: Freedom Restoration Hand & Elbow Workout A; Quick Fix Rx 5-minute Feet.

Today's Workout: Total Body Training from Jessica Smith's first Walk Strong set. Although this is "total body" the lower body emphasis is very light, so I've always categorized it as Upper Body.

Linda: Hi there! Good to hear from you, but sorry about the shoulder. Your man is a sweetie! The Caged Lion book sounds interesting. My library doesn't have it, but the Kindle version isn't expensive so I may try that.

Cyana: Glad you found your Fitness Fix!

Paine: What type of "stretch" I'll do is an excellent question! I have lots of Classical Stretch/Essentrics, some yoga, various stretching routines, some prehab/rehab, and qi gong. Still sorting that out. I may decide based on what my body seems to want on that day.

Beth: My regular workout time is late afternoon. Especially in summer, I'd rather use mornings for my outdoor walks. However, I know I need more stretching and in fact my local VF buddy has told me how much better she feels since she began daily stretching. So I just need to get over the mental "30-minute" mindset! I like your idea of keeping stretching short and focused.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 09:25 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth, I hope you find the training that feels right for you. There are a few workouts out there supposedly for older people that younger people won't do because of the name. Thinking of Older Wiser Wonderful. Some are easier but the earlier ones can be hard with heavier weights.

Sandra, hi! How are the boys? My girlie is cuddling behind my knees. I'm training her to be a dog. Yes, my guy is pretty special. I was very lucky to find him. Too bad he's a few hours away but we manage to see each other twice a month. Since I can't do much for upper body I lay on the floor with Meow and read on my upper body days.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote