Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-03-21, 07:41 AM  
fanofladyvols

Dana love the feel of a winning combo! I woke up this AM and was so happy for cloudy rain...lol you're influencing me (Really though, my poor plants need a break!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I'm thinking about paying for a consult with her about my hamstring issue and letting her design a strengthening program for me.
Carol I bet she would do a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Linda - I haven't tried foam rolling yet for it, but that's a good idea. I'm not very good at it, but it would probably do some good. Laughing at your Barre Amped Bootcamp experience. As I recall, it's pretty shoulder intensive.....

Carol
I know it's not Suzanne because I love the other workouts I have with her. I think she's lovely.

I dig other forms of low key exercise...pilates, yoga and let's not forget CS is hardly a thrill a minute.

Super grateful there are so many forms of other exercise. If all we had was barre...I'd sit on the couch

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 09:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today's mix of workouts may be something I can stick with!

CS - Episode 1203 -
Pahla B - June Playlist Day # 2 - low impact cardio
Jessica Valent - 10 Min Pilates for Beginners (from her 10 in 10 series)

Last night DD and I went for a walk - love doing walks in the evenings!

Linda - I sure hope I'm not becoming allergic to shellfish - I live in the crab state! LOL! I love shrimp, crab, lobster etc. I am hoping it was a fluke, but I'm not eager to try it again right away. Yes, not everyone loves everything - I'm sure people would look at my workouts and say "blech"!

Dana - that is a nice routine - I also like mixing and matching shorter segments. I really like Gina's You Tube stuff

Carol - that is a good idea about the consult w/ Jessica V. My subscription ends next month, but I am thinking now of re-subscribing b/c I do use it and I think some of her weight workouts would work for me in my efforts to do more strength training. I also like and use her PT style videos.

I hope to either walk later or do some of the Trifecta Pilates challenge!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 07:52 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Something that my DH had said to me couple of days ago that's really resonated with me and I'd like to share it here.

I have 2 SiLs who live out of state and the last time we've seen them in person was about 3 years ago. One of them is exactly my age and the other one is 3 years older. Both are vibrant women. Neither one is overweight although the one that's my age says she'd like to lose about 20lbs which is what I should lose.

They've sent us family pictures this past weekend and my DH looked long and hard at the picture and made a surprising comment that both look somewhat smaller, more fragile and "shrunken" which is the exact word he used. Then he looked at me and said "you're the same age but you look strong and fit, but then - you exercise". Wow. It made me realize that my life long passion for exercising and being physically active has really paid off. I've never exercised because I wanted to look a certain way but because it made me feel good and I craved it. As far as I know, neither one of my SiLs have ever exercised, let alone lifted weights. My dh comment is really sticking with me and it makes me more determined to work out for as long as I am breathing and can move. Also, I'm adding more strength workouts to my weekly routine!

Just thought I'll share this with you.
Old 06-03-21, 07:58 PM  
fanofladyvols

Dana I don't think you could ask for a more beautiful compliment...or a greater confirmation to keep on keeping on woman!!

Thank you for sharing ...may we all take that to heart to keep on fighting for our health

ETA: Forgot my workouts...today was Cathe Xtrain all out low impact; CS #406 Muscle memory

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 06-04-21, 07:21 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thursday's workouts were:

Pahla B - Body Shaping Challenge - Day 11 - 25 minutes (Moderate Strength);
This was a good strength workout with some new to me Pahla B exercises. Although it was a little longer than most of her "weight loss" videos, I managed to keep it moderate - used 5 lb dumbbells for most of the work, except for a couple of exercises where I used my 3's. This workout was 3 circuits of about 10 exercises, 30 seconds of work and 10 second of rest/set up time.

Jessica Valant Pilates - 10 Minute Pilates for Back Pain (the second video in her 10 Minute Series) I really enjoyed this series when it first came out and am glad I am revisiting it.

I've signed up for a consultation with Jessica - hoping she will design a program for me to rebuild the strength in my weak and injured hamstring. Now I'm just waiting for my appointment to be set.

Dana - That was such a lovely thing for your DH to say! I know that my motivation to exercise has always been driven by not ending up old and out of shape like my parents. I can't imagine how excited/pleased you must be to have someone acknowledge all your hard work and commitment to taking care of yourself!

Linda - I noticed that Suzanne posted a video on Instagram about her filming session that is scheduled for next week. I believe she is shooting videos for her membership platform (and not DVDs). I think her (now ex) husband has always been her videographer, so this is a real transition for her with him having nothing to do with the project. She is still so fragile emotionally that it's almost painful to listen to her. You are right - CS is not a thrill a minute!

Donna - Technically, I'm allergic to shellfish - at least I tested - years ago - as allergic to shellfish. It's never bothered me, and I do eat and enjoy them. If I ate them every day, then I guess it could be an issue for me.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night after the rain cleared DD and I took a short walk w/ our Golden.

Today, so far has been:

CS 1204 - All Standing
Pahla B - June Playlist Day # 3 - Walking w/ Weights
Jessica V - 10 in 10 Series - Day # 2 - Pilates for Back Pain

Carol - we both did the same Pilates workout. I'm enjoying this little combo I have been doing. And, as per usual, after doing CS I notice so much less stiffness in my back and hips and just overall. I do not know why I struggle to stay consistent w/ it b/c I don't dislike it all. I guess always chasing something shiny and new, I suppose. Let us know how that consultation goes!!! Interesting about the shellfish. This literally came out of the blue - I had eaten a crab cake a week or two before and no issues...I wonder if it was some kind of fluke? But I'm not eager to eat it again just yet, maybe some baby steps - a couple here and there to see what happens.

It is a shame that Suzanne B struggles so much....

Dana - that was a lovely compliment! And definitely a reason to keep at it. Both of my parents aged terribly and I see so many people younger than me who move like "old" people.

Nice workouts, Linda - I have Season 4 out as well. I remember enjoying the Muscle Chains episode very much.

Hope everyone has a Happy Friday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 11:15 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Jessica V - 10 in 10 Series - Day # 2 - Pilates for Back Pain

Carol - we both did the same Pilates workout.

Donna
Actually, that's two days in a row we've done that. Today I'm going to do Jessica's Leg & Glute 10 minute workout, along with her other Hip Pain Relief video (at least I think that's what I'm doing).

Carol
Old 06-05-21, 07:28 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

JV Advanced HIIT - 29min. Kettlebell and/or weights. It was an OK workout but not much fun for me.
Leslie MM mile 1 & 2 off her 5 Mile disc - 30min. I've done all other discs but have never done any walks off her 5 mile disc and just found out that this one is most fun and I was missing out! Sometimes I think that if it say 5 Mile Walk, I have to do all 5 and that's not so. I'll definitely try her other miles on this particular dvd.

I have to go to the office today but that's OK. It will be HOT out today and I had no plans to spend any time outside anyway.

Carol, good idea to schedule consult with Jessica Valant. Please let us know how it goes if you do.

Waves to Donna, Linda, Brenda, Christine and Cheri!
Old 06-05-21, 07:31 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quick check in - I have a Zoom starting at 8 AM here

Workouts were

Pahla B - Body Shaping Challenge - Day 12 - 21 minutes (Standing Abs); Jessica Valant Pilates - 10 Minute Pilates for Legs & Glutes

And cutting back severely the roses that were damaged by our February cold snap.

Appointment with Jessica is scheduled for the first week of July - later than I'd like, but still earlier than I was scheduled to see my regular doctor.

Carol
Old 06-05-21, 02:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

Carol wow, I can't believe it will take that long to get a consult. Good info from you already!

Dana I finally did the Denise Austin Lifefit 360 yoga...and I think you should too. See my reasons below.

Donna you and Carol are having a mind meld or something...haha.

Yesterday was Lauren Brooks sexy strength and CS #407 Maximum Flexibility. It was a perfect workout day!

Today I bit the bullet and tore off the shrinkwrap to do the yoga on the Denise Austin Lifefit 360. I was disappointed to discover that what I thought was a booklet or insert loose was actually two DVDs that are scratched but play fine in my most finicky DVD player. After getting past that, I steeled myself for 50 minutes of Denise. Well, first shock... it's actually 3 separate practices..two 20 minute and one 10 minute abs focused practice. No mention anywhere on menu and I guess you have ffwd to find. Weird! But translates to a very useable DVD for my purposes.

I wasn't prepared for the way I enjoyed all 3. Yup, once I started I had to follow the path to the end. She had me at the first 5 minutes of the first practice.

Positives:
1) she introduces lovely modified versions before launching into the full length version of many poses.
2) you're so busy working through you really don't have to stare into Denise's hypnosis eyes.
3) the sequence makes sense and develops so nicely that each 20 minute session would be 'enough.'
4) Denise's raspy breathy voice is actually soothing in this..not weird.
5) she develops some things so nicely that I will use from here on out. She has you dance your hips prior to glute bridge. Fabulous!

Negatives:
1) her cues are so generalized ( and many times cued on the move instead of prior) that you gotta peek to see what she means when she says " lift your leg" "pull through" because you will be saying huh..what.. where?
2) you're going to hear classic Denise with words and phrases like "tighten that tushy" " that's right, baby reaches!" " Just a few more knee kisses"
3) some modifications are never suggested and she never once suggests a yoga block to assist in a pose. Chair pose she never suggests standing legs hip distance, etc.
4) the "beginner" designation must be just for the tempo because many cues that I am used to hearing she never gives.

All in all...if you already own this...break it out and try it!

Waves and hugs to you guys!!