Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-09-21, 01:46 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday, I had a dentist's appt. in the morning and after that, around lunchtime, I stopped by to see a friend (one of the Italy crew) and we ended up visiting for 4 hours. I couldn't believe that I kind of blew off the day like that but she had been out of town and we had some catching up to do and it was nice to just have a relaxing, fun conversation with a friend. I ended up not workout out at all, but I was ok with that. I felt like I needed a bit of a break since I had had over 10 days with over 10,000 steps and I had not taken a rest day on Sunday like I usually do. So, Monday was my rest day.

Today I did the official Day 1 workout of Muscle Burns Fat: Lower Body Burn. It was a lot of asymmetrical squats and back and side lunges. With my creaky knees, my range of motion was so limited that I don't know if I actually got much of a workout (I had about the same RoM as the modifier, so, maybe I did). I'm probably not going to do that one again. I spent some time on VF reading about lower body workouts that don't include squats and lunges. I have a few workouts in mind that I might sub for this one in the future. I followed it up with CH: Dance Mash Up (20 mins). Also, I was only 1,500 steps from 10,000 as midnight approached, so I very litely did CH Elite: Rope & Ride and made it to 10,000 steps before midnight.

SB- Glad you were able to get in a walk with your kids. Also glad to hear that you were able to get the tomato plants planted. I imagine it was emotional and brought back memories, which I know can be tough. I hope you're doing ok. Sending hugs.

Penguin - It make sense, what you say about the benefit of asymmetrical lifting. I still doubt that I have the patience for it. I guess one of the advantages of YT workouts is that the variety really helps you to mix things up. I hope that you find enough workouts that you enjoy and hope that everything works out with the new laptop.

It's 2:43 am and I have no idea why I'm still up, especially since I have to work tomorrow for a few hours. I should probably go to bed now.

Waves to All!
Old 06-09-21, 09:49 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

YT - Pahla B's Tone Your Body

It was still too hot and humid yesterday for an outdoor walk so Pahla fit the bill nicely.
It was one of her "met-con" workouts and it felt nicely challenging. I haven't been doing much weight work this year so that's probably why. I enjoyed it. Even though we had t-storms yesterday afternoon it still feels pretty humid to me today. Not sure about a walk or not. I'm meeting my sister for an early lunch today to celebrate my birthday (which is tomorrow) so I'll see how I feel after that about the walk.

CAMBET, a rest day is always good and necessary and it seems like you spent it wisely. Good job trying out a little more MBF. It seems like it may not be for you but you never know. I'm always impressed how you reach your step count just before midnight

Enjoy the day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 12:37 AM  
patchworkpenguin

so here I am typing on my new laptop. Hubby kindly blew the print up as big as it goes so I can read it clearly, with out straining. we had to order a wireless printer that we can pick up next week. pretty soon I will be able to print out patterns again. i am so used to using my phone that I keep trying to touch the screen to make things work, which doesn't work

SB, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! I hope you have a great day and visit with your sister~~~~~

Cambet, don't think of it as blowing off the day think of it as a mental health break! the rest and visit with your friend probably did you more good than you know. Good for you for trying MBF, you were up and moving so that was the important part. I developed a creak/crunching sound in one knee recently, it doesn't hurt but its a little creepy. It started when I started barre workouts but I've always considered the right knee my good knee so why it would start creaking is beyond me. Our bodies are weird!

No workout today, but we did get the laptop and some other errands done, so most of tomorrow is free, except for the grocery store. I bought some capris and tops at JCP. we could go in and pick them out but not try them on, so I ended up buying two sizes of pants and will return the other, possibly getting a second fun color , not khaki.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 06:55 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did MBF Core Cardio. From that workout I realized how weak my core has become. I was only barely able to do the side plank dips. I did the mountain climbers modified (I never enjoyed or really did those even when I was in better shape, though) and made other modifications. Overall, it was fine. As I do this program I keep thinking about what I would RATHER be doing, which isn't a good sign, BUT, I am enjoying the structure, it seems like a good starting point for where I currently am with my fitness, AND it's only a 3-week program, so I'll probably stick with it. I also did the Turbo Jam 20-Min workout to get in a little kickboxing.

It's funny, I didn't think that I did much with the Lower Body workout, since my range of motion was so limited, but I have pretty bad DOMS in my legs, which I found pretty surprising considering that I only used 8-lb dumbbells with the multiple squats and lunges. My knees hurt the evening that I did that workout, but they felt better yesterday, so I guess it's all good.

SB - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a good day! Hope you had a nice lunch with your sister. I was just reading about Pahla B on VF recently and started checking out her w/os on YT; glad that it was a good choice for you!

Penguin - Yay for getting the new laptop up and running! I hope your knee will be fine. Having to navigate knee problems really does suck. I did the same thing over the last while when dressing rooms were closed -- order two sizes of pants or whatever and then just return the one that didn't fit. Hope you have a good day!
Old 06-10-21, 07:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

17 minute outdoor walk
100 kettlebell swings

DD and I went for an after dinner walk and got rained on after about a mile or so.
Oh well. Better than nothing. I am planning a walk for today. The temps seemed to have moderated a bit so that's promising. The birthday celebra-thon continues today. I'm going out to dinner with my kiddos and then tomorrow is out with friends. Then that should be enough for this year

PENGUIN, congrats on the new laptop.
Nice of hubby to blow up the print for you.
And printing out patterns once the printer comes in will be fun. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

CAMBET, thank you too for the birthday wishes. I do enjoy Pahla's weight and met-con workouts. I too surprisingly have DOMS from her workout the other day. Glad the knees held up ok.

Have a great day ladies!

Old 06-10-21, 11:07 PM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Today I did MBF Upper Body Burn. I did some of it asymmetrically where it made sense, like with the bent over rows, and other parts, like the chest presses and flies, non-asymmetrically. It was fine. After a couple of Zoom meetings for work I tacked on CH Elite: Rope & Ride.

SB - Hope you were able to get in a walk today after getting caught in the rain yesterday. Thanks for mentioning the Pahla Met-con workouts; I had not seen those yet. I'll have to check some of them out; I think that I like her, but she does seem to talk a lot and fast. I hope you enjoy all of the birthday celebra-thon with family and friends.

Hi, Penguin! Hope you're doing well!
Old 06-11-21, 08:47 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

54 minute outdoor walk

It still felt muggy to me during my walk to the p.o. and back yesterday morning but better than it's been. Today seems cooler and cloudy but it's a nice relief. My friend from upstate NY is visiting today. We plan a walk this afternoon and then dinner with a couple of other friends.

CAMBET, nice job making the MBF work for you and getting your steps in after your meetings. Pahla doesn't always name her workouts met-con or weights, you kind of have to read the description. She does talk a lot and fast but somehow I like it.
It can grate on my nerves occasionally but the workouts are enjoyable and she's usually saying helpful things. LOL

Enjoy the day all!
Old 06-11-21, 11:10 PM  
patchworkpenguin

sb, im glad to hear that the weather has cooled and even better that you are getting together with friends. When I woke up today it was sunny, 30m later it was raining, and then 30m after that it was sunny again. I can't keep up but our humidity was 72% when I checked with a feels like of 102*. I didn't check again after that! Yuck, sorry about the wet walk!

Cambet, it sounds like you are getting the hang of MBF and making it work for you. Might as well do the workout the way you like especially if it means you will keep doing it. im sure that you will be able to stick with the program for 3 weeks! i think I over reacted to the clothes. I usually shop at Walmart when I never try anything on, just buy and return but they switched to a different brand of clothes, which I don't like, so now I'm shopping at JCP which the clothes are twice the price. I hate shopping for clothes anyway. I ened up with two pairs of capris, a pretty tee with eyelet details and off the clearance rack a camel color duster sweater and a long sleeve shirt, $10 and $5 respectivly. I tried those on in a corner of the store. :P

so I'm sitting on the couch trying to figure out how to type on and use my laptop, not going so well. I tried capslock for SB earlier and I couldn't get it to work then mid post it went to alllcaps. gah! I'm sure I'll figure it out but I get very frusterated with learning curves. and I keep trying to touch the screen. I'll probably have to make the print smaller, its good on VF but not the other sites I use. and i need to figure out how to use the spell check. I see red lines under words but can't figure out how to change them. I miss mh mouse.

I packed my first box for the move today. It was of penguin statues { read: things I think are cute but have to dust, tchockees.}I sent Hubby up into the attic for boxes and he brought down some small ones, might as well start with things I don't use anyway. we don't really have anywhere to store them right now. I guess I could ask my parents if I could use a spare room of theirs for boxes. I'm sure they will be thrilled :P

so today's workout started with Juice and Toya's UB Burnout, short but effective. I liked this one, we did 3 sets of 5 exercises but each was slightly different, such as narrow chest press, wide chest press, then flies in the last set.

Next was Improved Health's 20m LI Interval walk. This was fine, a little slower paced, she alternated a 20sec 'fun' move with 20sec of walk/jog. I didn't jog and got bored of walking so I usually kept doing the fun move. Next was 25m Intermediate walk #10. This was better paced and more fun. While we did some walking it was mostly fun moves with a few squats and lunges through in for a LB emphasis.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 01:51 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Today was meant to be a lite day for me. I wanted to get in some movement but not overdo it. So I did CH Elite: Wild Horse (enjoyed this one a bit more than usual) and Rope & Ride (such a fun workout). I didn't wear shoes or workout clothes, so I really did take it easy, though I did manage to break a sweat. Made it to 11,000 (11,644) steps before midnight.

I didn't get in my workout first thing this morning because I met a coworker friend of mine for coffee. We talked for 3 hours, making a real effort to talk about life before we briefly talked about work at the end. He and I really bonded during the pandemic (we both mostly taught in person) and had each other's backs during some challenging times, so I've really come to appreciate him. It was nice to catch up outside of the office.

I also didn't do my usual workout this morning because after much contemplation, I've decided to abandon MBF. I like the concept, so I think that I'm still going to use the (fake) jump rope intervals, but I'm thinking that I want to lift a little heavier and control my own pace. As I think about my desired results, I think that I can customize something for myself that will get me closer to where I want to be. I want my muscles to feel worked out, and my legs are looking a bit flabby, so I want to work on strengthening them (I have my eating under control, for the most part, with Lose It!). I also want to work on strengthening my core. I've been reading lots of threads about different programs and rotations and techniques. Right now I think I'm going to do something like this:

Mon- Upper body heavy-ish (for me) weights (probably using KCM Muscle Up: Lift 2B Fit and adding in some of my own exercises); maybe tack on 15 min of abs; add in jump roping intervals between sets like with MBF

Tues- Kickboxing (Combat or Turbo Jam); maybe tack on a short lower body pilates segment

Wed - Upper body heavy-ish (for me) weights (probably using KCM Muscle Up: Lift 2B Fit and adding in some of my own exercises); maybe tack on 15 min of abs; add in jump roping intervals between sets like with MBF

Thur - Kickboxing (Combat or Turbo Jam); maybe tack on a short lower body pilates segment

Fri - Shorter fusion workout, like Ellen Barrett or Jessica Smith or maybe lite cardio, like Country Heat

Sat - Total body heavy-ish (for me) weights (maybe using Cathe Supersets & Push/Pull or Body Pump) or AWT (like the Firm)

Sun - Rest day or maybe brief yoga.

I'm not sure how long the workouts that I have in mind will take, so I'll have to figure that out and probably make some adjustments. We'll see.

SB - Glad you were able to get in a walk, even though it was muggy. I thought that I saw on the news that it was supposed to be cooler in your area. I hope that you had a good visit with your friends. I still need to check out more Pahla.

Penguin - I continue to admire the variety of your workouts! I hope that you can get things figured out with the new laptop. I developed an online shopping habit during the pandemic, but it was really only to Belk, and really only for their clearance items. I would aim for $9.99 or less, but sometimes, I'd be willing to go up to $14.99 for pants. I often found myself between sizes, so that's why I would order both sizes. I ended up returning a lot (I would return it to the store in person). I was just thinking the other day that I haven't placed on online order since school ended, so I'm pretty sure that it was serving as a form of stress relief (I enjoyed the shopping and getting packages in the mail ). I think that I started back posting in the midst of you talking about house hunting and moving. I didn't realize that you all were moving for sure (and that you were already at the point of starting to pack up boxes), I thought that you were just thinking about it. I hope everything works out well.

Waves to All
Old 06-12-21, 10:35 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

34 minute outdoor walk

I waited for my friend to arrive from upstate NY and she hit traffic and got here later than planned. As a result the walk was on the shorter side but nice. We met up with our other friend for dinner then back to my house for dessert and much wine. We talked and laughed until almost 2:30 am!
I'm definitely feeling it today but it was so nice to catch up. Not sure if I'm up for a walk today but we'll see as the day goes on.
It's been cloudy and much cooler yesterday and today, even some spritzy showers.

PENGUIN, you'll get the hang of the laptop.
It is frustrating though. I also didn't realize you were packing up already for your move.
I guess it's good to start early though.
Your weather sounds crazy.

CAMBET, I really like the looks of your rotation. I don't have the discipline to follow rotations but it looks fun and effective for your goals. Yes we did cool off yesterday and today finally. It sounds like a very nice visit with your friend. Glad you were able to make a close connection during tough times.

Have a wonderful day!