Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-21, 01:37 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Today didn't turn out as planned. I had several things that I wanted to get done, but then a problem came up with work and I ended up having to spend several hours answering emails. I was so angry! In a nutshell, Administrator A and I had worked out a plan for how my dept would handle summer work, and then, apparently, Administrator B asked her to make some changes to it, but instead of contacting me to discuss the proposed changes, Administrator A wrote directly to several members of my dept asking them to agree to the changes AND copied other administrators on the message, but didn't bother to copy me (when the original plan was my idea in the first place) , so I didn't even know that Administrator A was trying to undermine my original plan.

The thing is is that I had not told my whole dept about the plan yet, except for one member who WAS copied on the message. He contacted me confused because he knew that I had already worked out the details of the plan with Administrator A, so he didn't understand why we/they were being asked to do something different that was less convenient. I had no idea what he was talking about and that's when we realized that I had not been copied on the message. So, he sent it to me (I couldn't believe to what extend Administrator A was undermining me and my original plan ), we discussed it, and then it took me about an hour to formulate a response where I replied to everyone who had been copied on the message, pointing out that though I had not been copied, I had been looped in by my coworker because he knew that the original plan was my idea. Then I had to gingerly assert my authority as chair in the situation, indicating that we were going to use some aspects of the original plan, but agreeing that we would also incorporate a couple of ideas from the proposed changes (while I am angry and, frankly I feel hurt that Administrator A screwed me over, typically she and I maintain a decent relationship and it's not really in my best interest or my dept's for me to be at odds with her, so that's why I agreed to a couple of the proposed changes). Then I had to write to my dept and explain the whole thing to them. Then Administrator A wrote back asking for clarification on some things and I had to spend more time responding to that message.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this, but it really impacted my day and mood. I had been doing parts of CH: Country Swing when this whole thing began, but then I had to put that on hold. Because I was so angry, hurt, and annoyed that I had to waste hours of my life on this, I decided to take a 25 min walk around my yard just to blow off some steam (being in nature typically produces a calming effect and it did seem to help). And later, I did Country Heat Elite Rope & Ride which is only available on BBoD. That one is challenging and has good music, so it was fun. I made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Well, tomorrow is another day, so I'll shake this off and hope for a more productive day.

SB - Glad you were able to sneak in an afternoon walk. I hope that you had a good time with your sister.

Penguin - wow, you did such a variety of workouts! I hope that everything works out with the house hunting. Thumbs up for the good reports from the dentist (and veterinarian)!
Old 06-05-21, 08:32 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was:

28 minute outdoor walk

After all my activities for the day, and a heavy afternoon t-storm, DD and I did a very brisk after dinner walk. It felt great.
I am planning to walk right after this post because it's going to be a hot one today and it's now or never time

PENGUIN, congrats on the good dentist and vet reports. And on a new laptop!! Sorry to hear it may be your last Bible study class. Are you still going to the knitting meetings?

CAMBET, wow I'm so sorry to hear about the situation you had to deal with.
Not only all the time it sucked out of your day, but the betrayal by Administrator A.
How unprofessional. Did she offer any explanation as to you why she went behind your back and didn't even copy you on the changes? I'd be furious! I hope you were able to shake it off. That's a good attitude if you can manage it. I hope you can.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 08:08 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Cambet, I’m so sorry to hear that your work has been so frustrating! I’m glad to hear that your work out alleviated some of your stress :-)

SB, I haven’t been attending the knitting meetings since they are held in the morning, too early for me! Lately, all they’ve wanted to talk about is everything that’s wrong in the world anyway. Not really uplifting for a ministry! I’m glad to hear you and your DD got to take a walk, the weather here says it’s going to rain until next Sunday, that’s probably mostly pop of showers but it’s still very depressing.

Hubby starts his night shift tomorrow I plan to work out as soon as he leaves for work which should be about the same time I’m working out now, somewhere between 5 and 8 PM.

Today was leg day and cardio. I started with a new to me Rachel Aust. I didn’t particularly enjoy her work out she gave us two exercises and then repeated them what felt like forever :-) and then we moved on to two other exercises. Repeat :-(. After that I moved on to Grow with Jo and did her Throwback 2000‘s Dance party, which made me feel old and I have never heard any of this music before! Next was Jo’s 2 mile fast walk, she encouraged us to hold light weights and the first half of the workout was devoted to upper body and abs and the second half of the walk interspersed leg exercises. This was a lot more fun :-). I followed this up with a daily stretch by Mady Morrison, which I basically just put on for the music.

Stay dry! :-)

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 07:32 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and do a Muscle Burns Fat workout, since I'm considering doing the program. The first workout is a lower body workout, but since I'm more of a fan of upper body workouts, I decided to start with that one (which is technically the day 3 workout). I enjoyed it, overall, but there were also some things that I didn't like (of course ). You start out with the BOD Rope (cordless/fake jumprope) to warm up and then you do mostly asymmetrical upper body work. Like, you do a chest press for 16 reps, then a chest fly, then a combo all while holding a heavy weight on the right side, then you repeat it on the left side, then you repeat the whole thing again. Between the blocks of lifting weights (there are 4 blocks) you jump rope with the BOD Rope for 1 minute.

I liked sprinkling in the the jump roping/cardio between the weights, though a few times I had to pause so that I could get my bearings before I started jumping. Also, I decided to do the jump roping on my (cheap) rebounder that I have hardly ever used because of my creaky knees (I don't know if I mentioned that I ended up with a tear in the meniscus of my other knee -- I know that I previously mentioned the first one, so now I have meniscal tears in both knees). I don't have the BOD ropes; I just used a 1-lb weight in each hand. If I stick with the program, I might buy knockoff BOD Ropes on Amazon.

I guess my take away is that I don't understand the need for asymmetrical lifting here. The moves are slow, so why not just do both sides at the same time? It felt weird to just do the movements one side, so I used both arms anyway (doing half of a fly felt weird without the other arm also doing the same motion). Granted, I haven't lifted weights in over a year, so I went very light using only 8 and 5 lbs for both of those moves since I didn't want to overdo it or have DOMS too bad today (Megan used 15-lbs), but still, it just didn't feel like an efficient use of time for weight lifting (though the w/o was only 35 mins long). Thinking about it later, this may just be the problem with not being a true beginner weight lifter, but also not wanting to do too much too fast, because I could have definitely handled more, and, of course, I will up my weights in the future; I just didn't want to go too heavy on the first day.

So, I thought that I could just modify and do both sides at the same time in the future with the asymmetrical work, or I could just do something else. So, then I started looking at the other BeachBody weight programs and really, I just don't know. I want to lift heavy-ish (I want my muscles to feel worked out, which I didn't really feel with the first MBF workout. I don't even think that I'm going to have much DOMS today), I don't think that I want to do splits (like LIFFT4), I don't think that I want to workout for more than 40 or 45 minutes on weight days (which eliminates some of the other programs), I don't want the the trainer yelling expletives (which eliminates 2 of the programs ), and I'm not really a fan of Tony Horton's (who has lots of options). All of this to say that I'm not really sure if I'm going to stick with MBF or try something else (I even had another look at JM's Body Revolution). I'm going to think about it more today and try to figure it out.

I also did CH: Trail Ride yesterday and throughout the day did parts of CH Elite: Rope & Ride to make it to over 12,000 steps for the day.

I am also still furious about what happened Friday with work. FURIOUS.

SB - Thanks for your kind words. I, unfortunately, haven't been able to shake off Administrator A's betrayal, mostly because I'm just so stunned that she would do that. She and I have been in touch about the plan over the last few weeks, so it makes no sense that she would send a message directly to the Language Coordinators (when I am in charge of them and still do some of the coordinating work for Span in conjunction with the actual Span Coordinator), not include me, and ask them to do something else that changes the original plan. AND, while she didn't mention me my name, there is implied criticism of me in the message and she expressed doubt about elements of the original plan (doubts that she did not express to me the 3 or 4 times that we have been in touch about it), which is why she suggested that they should agree to what she is proposing. The funny thing is that I hadn't told the Lang Coords about the plan yet because 85% of the work will fall to Spanish (which is why I did collaborate with the Coordinator of Spanish, but he is still fairly new in the role and hasn't been trained to do the summer work yet; before I became chair of the dept I was the Coord of Span), so that means that I will likely end up doing or overseeing most of the work. The other coordinators usually defer to me in this situation since they know that I will negotiate the best possible plan for all of us since most of the work will fall to me. So to go behind my back to ask them to agree to something that, really, is an inconvenience to all us (but by default, mostly to me) makes no sense whatsoever. And to think that they would agree without at least one of them being in touch with me first (because even thought I had not shared the plan with all of them, they knew I was working on something) makes even less sense. I'm also stunned because, in general, I get along well with Administrator A and Administrator B. There is a lot of mutual respect there and we (most of us at my job) are not a back-stabbing people. Administrator A did not offer any explanation for why she went behind my back, and I really don't understand her betrayal. Ok, I'm sorry, I'll stop talking about this.

I'm glad that you were able to get in an after dinner walk with your DD, and hope that you enjoyed your walk yesterday, as well.

Penguin - Wow, sounds like you got in some good workouts. I hope that everything goes well with the transition to night shift. We're also supposed to get rain over the next few days, but I'm hoping that there will be a window when I can get out and cut the grass in my front yard, which is quickly approaching being overgrown.
Old 06-06-21, 08:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

52 minute outdoor walk

I did walk yesterday right after I finished posting here and it was hot already.
We got into the mid-90s by the afternoon and more of the same today. Not sure if I'm up for another walk in this heat but I'll see how I feel in a bit. Otherwise I'm going to try for an indoor workout.

PENGUIN, looks like you found an enjoyable workout in your mix, that's always good.
Good luck to you and hubby with the night shift. Sounds like it won't be affecting your workout schedule which is good.

CAMBET, hmmm the MBF doesn't sound too promising so far. You never know though, maybe give it a few more chances?
Glad you got in a good step count though.
Please continue to talk away about the situation at work. Sometimes it helps to just write things out and go over the situation sometimes. I can totally understand your fury and frustration.
Do you think talking to her about how you feel would help? Or do you think it might make things worse? It would probably feel better for you but I don't know if it would leave long lasting bad feelings. I hope and pray you can get through this in a way that works for you. I hope you can get out there and mow your lawn and get a good step count too!

DS is coming by today and hopefully we'll got a couple of tomato plants in. It's kind of late in the season but better late than never....

Have a great day!
Old 06-07-21, 05:19 AM  
patchworkpenguin

Let me put it this way, it’s 5 AM and I haven’t been to sleep yet :-) I’ve always been a night owl but yuck! I’d rather see a sun set than sunrise!

Yesterday‘s workout, frankly I don’t know Whether to post this as today or yesterday, I’m so confused. My policy has always been ‘it’s still today until I go to sleep regardless of what the clock says’, but this is definitely Monday.

OK, Sunday’s work out! I started with a Gymra 30 minute upper body workout and then moved on to Olivia Lawson‘s No Repeat Cardio and then 5000 steps Intense Walking Workout which had an outdoor setting. I enjoyed the cardio workout more than the walking possibly because I have more energy, however I had to modify a lot because while she was doing planks I had to think of something upright to do. The walking workout had a lovely outdoor set but she tended to do a lot of side steps which got a little repetitive and boring.

SB, the weather says it’s going to rain every day for the next week however it’s been panning out as it rains for a little while and stops and then rains a little more and stops etc. I wish it would just get it over with already. Hope you had success with the tomato plants :-).

Cambet, I was just listening to a podcast today on the importance of writing things out for our mental health. I’m not very good about talking about my feelings especially when I feel like I’ve been wrong by someone so possibly venting here is your best course of action. I agree that upper body workouts are much more interesting than lower body which can be just a series of squats and lunges. Yawn! When confronted with an instructor who wants to do one side or the other I generally do both at the same time I understand the reasoning but it just seems inefficient, and that makes me crazy.

Old 06-07-21, 08:28 AM  
cambet

Hi, Ladies,

You two are the best and I really appreciate your kindness and patience.

Yesterday I had planned to take it easy workout-wise, but I (litely) did parts of CH Elite: Rope & Ride (that's a fun one) here and there and then I did get out and mow the front lawn after it warmed up enough that the grass wasn't so wet anymore. It was mostly cloudy yesterday, but in the late afternoon the sun came out and the weather alternated between being cloudy and sunny. I was only about 1,500 steps short of 10,000 last night, so I went ahead and about 18 mins of CH: Country Swing (taking it very easy just to get in the movement) to make it 10,000 steps before midnight. Yay!

SB - You are right, I should probably give MBF more of a chance. I've looked at some of the other workouts, but I should probably actually do them before deciding if the program will work for me or not. Like Penguin mentioned, I'll probably not do the moves asymmetrically in places that it doesn't make sense to me (like why only do half of a chest press or pec fly? ) and then I can just go at a slower pace with slightly heavier weights, since I won't need the extra time to do the other side. Thank you so much for your kindness and patience with me venting about work. It has really helped to write it down! I am less furious. I'm working on an appropriate response just to Administrators A & B -- still in my head so far but it's coming together, because I don't want to come off as being petty or responding out of anger -- to convey that there is a chain of command and my reasonable expectation is that they will follow it. Glad you were able to get in a good walk though it was already getting hot. I hope that everything worked out well with you and DS and the tomato plants!

Penguin - I do the same thing!; my policy is also that it's still today until I go to sleep , even if technically, that is after midnight. Hmm... that's an interesting idea about writing things down being important for our mental health (I imagine that they are referring to journaling?). Venting here has been very helpful, for sure. You got in a good variety of workouts. I'm going to check out that No Repeat Cardio (that's one of the things that I like about County Heat; there is no TIFT'ing at all). I appreciate you mentioning that you tend to do both sides of a lifting move at the same time, instead of doing them asymmetrically. That's what I was thinking I would do, although I may look into if there is some perceived benefit to asymmetrical lifting. It just seems very inefficient to me too. I hope you are able to get some sleep today!

Waves to All!
Old 06-07-21, 10:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was just too hot for an outdoor walk. We did go to the garden center and get a couple of tomato plants and planted them so that was good. A little emotional but glad we were able to do it. Not sure about a walk today either. Maybe later this evening? Or something indoors...

PENGUIN, oh boy I hope you get adjusted to the new schedule. My DD is a night owl and often she'll go to bed at 4 or 5 am .

CAMBET, yes working both sides together is a good modification, going slower and heavier. Sometimes MR will do biceps or triceps one arm at a time. I need to remember that modification myself.
Taking your time with an appropriate response sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes when the time comes.
I'm glad your anger is subsiding for your sake

Have a wonderful day!
Old 06-07-21, 11:24 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Cambet, from what I understand the benefit to asymmetrical lifting is it works your core more because you have to stabilize The other side. Or something like that. I feel like I’m in a little bit of a rut with my workouts, I’m trying to find new people however the past couple weeks I’ve been doing old favorites for motivation. Hope the situation with your coworker resolves it self without too much extra drama. I’m not a big fan of drama either.

SB, I’m glad that you had your DD with you for emotional support while planting the tomatoes. I know you miss your hubby :-). It’s good to have family :-) we are slowly acclimating to our schedule. I think I’m going to end up getting up earlier and going to bed before hubby gets home from work, although his coming home wakes me up. Otherwise I’ll miss the sunshine, that is if it ever stops raining :-(!

Monday’s work out was MVMT’s stand up Pilates, which had a slow start and was a little boring until we got near the end. I follow this up with Reps to the Rhythm (which is becoming my favorite! :-)) 4000 steps #38 WithMom:-), 1300 steps #40, And I finished with his 10 minute cooldown stretch.

Other than picking up the laptop on Wednesday and going grocery shopping! We really don’t have anything exciting planned for the weekend. I think that will give us a chance to regroup from the shift change. Hubby still has to hang the black out curtains we bought a couple weeks ago.

Old 06-08-21, 08:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yesterday was:

29 minute outdoor walk

I did manage a brisk after dinner walk with my kids yesterday. It was still pretty humid but at least it wasn't in the upper 90s like it had been earlier in the day. We have some showers coming in today so probably no walking. Hopefully the rain will cool things off.

PENGUIN, looks like Reps to the Rhythm is a nice staple for you while you look for new instructors. Hope the black out curtains help hubby. That's a tough situation.
I can't believe all the rain you've been having. That's just depressing.

Hi CAMBET!

Have a wonderful day all!