Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-02-21, 08:53 AM  
Vantreesta

Murph Report!!

For anyone who doesn't know, a full Murph is 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, 1 mile run. Hardcore is with a weighted vest.

We were at my father-in-law's for the wknd so I did mine yesterday instead of Monday. I did my own modified version as my running app called for 2 miles. I knew I didn't want to do an extra mile before or after a half Murph so I did full run, half strength.

My version:
1 mile run in 10:49 (I started off too fast considering all that was still to come so I walked for one minute during this mile)
10 rounds of: 5 seated pullups with bent-leg assist, 10 elevated pushups, 15 squats (to parallel or lower)
1 mile run in 11:37 (no walking)
Total time 40:49

Quitting never crossed my mind but man, I was so looking forward to being done! Surprisingly I had no trouble with the pullups, but the easier modification made a huge difference. I struggled mightily with the pushups, though, and eventually found an elevation that worked for me to keep going. In the 9th round of squats my left inner thigh started saying nasty things to me and promising me I couldn't finish the squats but I shut that noise down quick and finished with a narrower stance!

I started off by listening to the National Anthem, God Bless America, God Bless the USA, the Battle Hymn of the Republic and My Country 'Tis of Thee before I started and was crying before the songs finished. During my second mile I gave thanks for the sacrifices made by all the fallen soldiers and their families.

Kid Rock provided my soundtrack.

Looking for my next challenge now! I'm considering doing another CrossFit Hero WOD for the 4th of July.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 02:39 PM  
Vantreesta

Today was a recovery day, although I really feel fine. I do have DOMS in my anterior delts, triceps, pecs and quads but not bad. The running app only had me do .75 mile today so I did it quick outside even though it was already 74 and sunny then did day 23 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement challenge, Caroline's high hamstring workout and finally finished Lesley Fightmaster's 30 day beginners challenge. I don't even remember for sure when I started it! I forgot when I was planning my day that I have grief group tonight. Part of me wants to skip it tonight. I'm undecided. I'm not in the mood but I do always get smthg out of it.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-02-21, 02:47 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Murph Report!!

For anyone who doesn't know, a full Murph is 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, 1 mile run. Hardcore is with a weighted vest.

My version:
1 mile run in 10:49 (I started off too fast considering all that was still to come so I walked for one minute during this mile)
10 rounds of: 5 seated pullups with bent-leg assist, 10 elevated pushups, 15 squats (to parallel or lower)
1 mile run in 11:37 (no walking)
Total time 40:49

Quitting never crossed my mind but man, I was so looking forward to being done! Surprisingly I had no trouble with the pullups, but the easier modification made a huge difference. I struggled mightily with the pushups, though, and eventually found an elevation that worked for me to keep going. In the 9th round of squats my left inner thigh started saying nasty things to me and promising me I couldn't finish the squats but I shut that noise down quick and finished with a narrower stance!

Looking for my next challenge now! I'm considering doing another CrossFit Hero WOD for the 4th of July.
See now I want to do this too! I would do table pull ups and divide the pushups around the squats. Maybe I could go this thus before HEAT in my 'off' week. Keep us up dated on your next challenge, maybe I will join in. 🙂
Old 06-02-21, 03:23 PM  
Vantreesta

Sounds good, buff! The Hero WODs are more about the reason behind it than the workout itself so scaling is totally cool. I looked through a list of like 160 of them last night and only found three I could even consider. Most have either exercises I can't physically do, am too afraid to try bc I fear injury, have exercises I haven't heard of or use equipment I don't have!

Old 06-03-21, 03:01 PM  
Vantreesta

A morning dentist appt threw off my routine today, plus I haven't taken the time to make my whole wheat oatmeal pumpkin pancakes yet, which are super filling and along with an egg, yogurt, berries and coffee will carry me through a long walk and workouts. The oatmeal I ate this morning does not have that kind of power! After I got home from the dentist and picking up a few groceries, Cyric and I went for a short walk bc it was too hot for him. Then I ran a mile in 85 degrees (who is this girl, seriously???), did day 24 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement challenge (which worked nicely for a quick post-run stretch) and Caroline Jordan's high hamstring tendonitis part 2 workout. I am calling it for today. I was supposed to do kettlebells and jump rope too but I am starving and just don't have the oomph for them today. So I still showed up for myself but half bailed! I think I'll get those pancakes made after I eat and shower!

Old 06-03-21, 10:24 PM  
Vantreesta

Buff, these are the four Hero WODs I found that could be doable for me.

Hamilton--3 rounds for time: row 1000 meters, 50 pushups, run 1000 meters, 50 pullups

Jerry--for time: run 1 mile, row 2k, run 1 mile

Loredo--6 rounds for time: 24 squats, 24 pushups, 24 walking lunges, run 400 meters

Rene--7 rounds for time: run 400 meters, 21 walking lunges, 15 pullups, 9 burpees

I found a 30-day at-home Crossfit challenge. Maybe I'll make it a 30 WEEK challenge and just do one a week!

Old 06-04-21, 07:38 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Buff, these are the four Hero WODs I found that could be doable for me.

Hamilton--3 rounds for time: row 1000 meters, 50 pushups, run 1000 meters, 50 pullups

Jerry--for time: run 1 mile, row 2k, run 1 mile

Loredo--6 rounds for time: 24 squats, 24 pushups, 24 walking lunges, run 400 meters

Rene--7 rounds for time: run 400 meters, 21 walking lunges, 15 pullups, 9 burpees

I found a 30-day at-home Crossfit challenge. Maybe I'll make it a 30 WEEK challenge and just do one a week!
Vannie - You pick what works best for you. I can definitely get the Murph in before starting Heat but not sure about another. Logistically since I would run outside it could get interesting to do the whole thing outside - which is what I'm thinking for the Murph using a bench I have out front.

Sandy - Is the Summer Series all level 2 and at this speed? Really liked today's ab workout. I go back to the standing workout tomorrow paired with my pushup workout. Augh.

Helen - Body Jam followed by Cardio Kicks?! I would be sleeping like a baby after that.
Old 06-04-21, 01:58 PM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sandy - Is the Summer Series all level 2 and at this speed? Really liked today's ab workout. I go back to the standing workout tomorrow paired with my pushup workout. Augh.
So far all great classes moving along no wasted time. All very different from each other. Series worth doing again if it sticks around.
Old 06-05-21, 12:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Today felt like a little bit of everything: 1.5 mi run in 83 degrees and sun (did 1st-just can't get myself to take time on a warmup when it's so hot out; if I delay I may bail), Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 25, J. Miller YTU feet & ankles, SanFran Fitness rebounding 5 min Mini Moves Series Day 1, C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, H. Clare Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, kettlebell/bodyweight workout week 3 Strength 1/Push, Pull, Swing challenge wk3 day10, Crossrope Swing Into Summer day 1, J. Miller YTU Post Athletic Stretches -Tennis and just for kicks and bc I haven't done it in a long time, 10 minutes retro walking on tm, half at 4%, half flat, all slow at 2 mph. The bonus of retro walking is I get to drool over my Kid Rock posters around the treadmill.

Old 06-05-21, 08:17 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
So far all great classes moving along no wasted time. All very different from each other. Series worth doing again if it sticks around.
Totally agree. Today's standing working was great, really felt it. Here's what I wrote about the ab workout: There were some variations of exercises I have to remember to use more - bicycle with legs extended in the middle, toe taps with upper body elevated on elbows. I have a feeling the workouts will stay up.

The pushup workout was great because I remember the last one I was struggling right from the beginning. I did OK with this. Mostly used my fanny lifter, a few I did on the radiator, and the cobras were of course done on the floor. Oh what a feeling! Off to eat everything in the house!