Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-05-21, 02:06 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
My last day of EPIC - Day 48 Upper Body. I used 20lbs (chest presses and rows) -> 6.5lbs (round the world). I think she increased the pushups in each upper body workout throughout the program but I really noticed it this week. I followed with Mr and Mrs Muscle Cardio HIIT no. 65 - I did KB swings instead of jacks, burpees without the pushups round 2-4, and low impact deep punch lunges instead of plyo ones. I'm going to do beginner EPIC next.

What I noticed with EPIC vs other programs. More workouts = less dread even when they're hard. I miss the cardio that comes with working legs on the weeks when there is more upper body. I definitely got stronger. I got good at modifying pretty quickly. Added stretching seemed to make a big difference. Functionally I was in good shape when I started the program, happily none of that has been lost, if anything it's improved. (I was doing pilates and yoga daily as well, short hiit added towards the end of the program.) Two thumbs UP.
Congratulations!!! That is a tough program! I think when I previewed Epic 1 versus 2, it seemed like there was more cardio with Number 2. But I have only done Caroline's beginner ones, total body and shorter HIIT workouts.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 08:05 AM  
ChelePA

I officially caught up with Anna's March Challenge. Today was HIIT it Harder Days 5 and 6. Day 5 was a Full Body Circuit Workout. Her usual 3 circuits that are repeated once. 50 seconds on, 10 seconds rest. She always has core and variations of planks/push-ups to work the upper body. She finished with a burpee into a star jump. Definitely not pretty at the end. Day 6 was Abs of Steel for a 15 minute workout. She does multiple ab/core exercises including planks for 30 seconds each, no rest in between then repeats the circuit.

Growing Annanas means Growing Pineapples...hmmm. I know she wanted others to grow strong and healthy. I guess that's the meaning behind the title of her channel??? I always found it a curious name....didn't realize it meant pineapple. I thought it was a variation of the name Anna in Austria...haha.

Have a great weekend!
Old 03-06-21, 08:08 AM  
buffmama

Part of today's workout was Heather's 12 minute no equipment tabata workout. 4 rounds each of burpees, side lunge jumps, squat jumps, pushups, skaters, mountain climbers. Liked the simplicity of it and the repeats made it tougher than it would have been without them.

Thanks ChelePA and Erica H. ChelePA I will be reading your impressions of Anna as I want to add her in before starting EPIC 2. A little more cardio right now to show some of the muscle gained (without loosing any) would be nice.
Old 03-06-21, 08:36 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Part of today's workout was Heather's 12 minute no equipment tabata workout. 4 rounds each of burpees, side lunge jumps, squat jumps, pushups, skaters, mountain climbers. Liked the simplicity of it and the repeats made it tougher than it would have been without them.

Thanks ChelePA and Erica H. ChelePA I will be reading your impressions of Anna as I want to add her in before starting EPIC 2. A little more cardio right now to show some of the muscle gained (without loosing any) would be nice.
I find Anna less intense with shorter workouts. Definitely more cardio. Usually no equipment. But if she uses weights, much lighter than Caroline. She calls them HIIT, but it’s not in the true sense of the meaning for many of the routines.
Old 03-06-21, 08:50 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Growing Annanas means Growing Pineapples...hmmm. I know she wanted others to grow strong and healthy. I guess that's the meaning behind the title of her channel??? I always found it a curious name....didn't realize it meant pineapple. I thought it was a variation of the name Anna in Austria...haha.

Have a great weekend!
I also thought it was a variation of the name Anna! How funny!

I did Caroline's Day 18 chest/triceps from Epic 1 this morning and used my spin bike. Another great Epic workout.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:02 PM  
manleym

Today workouts started with Kit Rich's 5 Minute Warm-up, then I did Caroline's Fearless Full Body Dumbbell Workout Complex Epic II- Day 45 and loved it of course! Another awesome total body strength workout by Caroline! It was a great slow total body strength so you could lift as heavy as you are able. Each move is performed 3 times with a 20 second rest in between, so again, not much thinking, just doing. Really easy to go deep in the moves. Between each "set" she had some compound moves, but the workout is mostly isolation. I finished with 15 Five Parks Yoga Min Post Workout Deep Stretch Yoga Class. Caroline is going to be doing EMOM workouts next week. That will be interesting and good since I don't think I've explored many of those types of workouts. If I have, I didn't realize what it was called. Looking forward to them!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:42 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
I did Caroline's Fearless Full Body Dumbbell Workout Complex Epic II- Day 45 and loved it of course! Another awesome total body strength workout by Caroline!
I don't usually like full body workouts, but I saw this on Friday and saved it since I really like the way it looks and will definitely do it sometime. It's a little long for me, but I could at least skip the calf work. Glad you liked it!

Erica
Old 03-07-21, 08:31 AM  
ChelePA

Everyone fell asleep in various rooms of the house so I didn't have access to my workout room. Anna's HIIT it Harder Day 7 was a 15 minute stretch routine. Simple exercises held for 30 seconds so I looked at Caroline's Sunday HIIT. Yikes!!! Not happening...too high impact since I was working out on the second floor and I needed a break from burpees. I am not a fan of EMOM. Never liked the structure of Crossfit. I prefer to work at the same pace as the instructor even if that means lowering my weight or modifying a cardio move. I don't like Caroline's complexes either. Counting my own reps, etc. Having said all that, I decided to give her Low Impact EMOM a try from August 9, 2020. The breakdown as follows:

LOWER BODY x 10 sets in total!!!
Alternating rear lunges x 20
Squat pulses x 10
Squats x 10

REST FOR 1 MINUTE

UPPER BODY x 9 sets in total!!!
ALTERNATING LEG RAISE PUSH UPS x 20
PLANK UP & DOWN x 10

REST FOR 1 MINUTE

CORE & ABS x 8 sets in total!!!
CRUNCH PULSES x 20
CRUNCH x 10
ALT HAND TO FOOT REACH x 10

I liked that I could keep pace with Caroline for this one. The upper body portion was very tough for me. At some points, I was just holding a plank and alternating legs. As expected, I couldn't wait to finish this workout. Way too much repetition for my taste. I felt accomplished but I don't see me returning to these type of workouts. It's definitely an incredible challenge especially the High Impact one she posted today.
Old 03-07-21, 08:43 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I looked at Caroline's Sunday HIIT. Yikes!!! Not happening...
LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. 20 years ago I would have loved it, but it's not happening now. She is really amazing - I am in awe of her fitness level.

I did Epic 1 Day 7 Lower Body. I think this was my first Caroline workout, so it's kind of special to me. Used my spin bike, too.

Erica
Old 03-07-21, 09:33 AM  
buffmama

Beginner EPIC Day 4 30 min DB Full Body. This is a great one. Gets it all done, larger muscles first, alternates upper and lower body, and the best part - no pushups! I used 20lbs for large muscles, 15lbs for smaller ones. I've been doing slow eccentrics for a few days now. I thought about switching instructors for the week but mentally couldn't take not knowing what to expect. Next week. Longer cardio, yoga and pilates this week with the shorter Caroline's.

Tags
calisthenics, caroline girvan, epic, growingannanas, heather robertson, mrandmrsmuscle