Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-21, 02:06 PM  
daisymae

Question Stretching with chair in Classical Stretch

Does it bother anyone else to stretch with your foot on the chair? For example: when you put your heel on the chair, point through your toes and lean forward over your leg. This hurts my heel. Actually, any of the stretches where you are supposed to rest your foot on the chair hurt my feet but especially the stretch mentioned above. It also makes my Achilles sore. I can sit on the floor with legs out and stretch my hamstrings just fine but trying to do it on a chair is just very uncomfortable. Would a pad help? Does it get better the more you do it or should I just modify those stretches by sitting on the floor?
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 10:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

Yes! I thought I just had a super sensitive heel.

I actually throw a towel on my wooden chair to cushion my heel.

I also noticed I needed to watch how I was holding the heel in there...like if my quad wasn't tensed hard enough supporting my weight in the standing leg, then I would be applying too much pressure on my heel...does that make sense?

But glad I'm not the only one!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 11:18 PM  
BunnyHop

I have trouble with balancing for a lot of CS barre work. One leg up off the floor? Yikes.

I use a small step ladder for my support and sometimes just put my foot on a lower step, rather than the top one.
Old 02-25-21, 01:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

do you have plantar fasciitis? that could be the cause of both the heel and achilles pain.

for me, i have to find the right height of the chair to use since the tendon on the back of my knee of the leg on the chair can sometimes feel awkward. i'm short, so a bent leg at the right height is key. it's not sore, just the angle and height needs to be played with.

EDITED TO ADD: essentially, my knee joint must be "square" when doing the moves, i.e., aligned in the same plane as the calf and thigh and everything is fine after that.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 02-25-21 at 03:09 PM. Reason: clarified
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 01:17 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yes, I can't stand the chair. It's one of the top reasons I stopped using Essentrics. I couldn't find enough chair-less workouts to justify the ETV subscription.

It didn't hurt my foot, but those chair moves cause the psoas muscles by the standing leg to seize up and they just generally torqued and hurt my back.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 01:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

It seems people either love or hate Essentrics chair work. I use a chair with a padded seat. When I teach chair work I switch sides a few times to avoid overworking the standing leg.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 02:24 PM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Yes! I thought I just had a super sensitive heel.

I actually throw a towel on my wooden chair to cushion my heel.

I also noticed I needed to watch how I was holding the heel in there...like if my quad wasn't tensed hard enough supporting my weight in the standing leg, then I would be applying too much pressure on my heel...does that make sense?

But glad I'm not the only one!
I'm glad I'm not alone! That does make sense about putting too much pressure on the heel but if you're leaning over your leg to stretch it how do you not?!
Old 02-25-21, 02:28 PM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I have trouble with balancing for a lot of CS barre work. One leg up off the floor? Yikes.

I use a small step ladder for my support and sometimes just put my foot on a lower step, rather than the top one.
Lol! I generally don't have a problem with balance, thank goodness! I have to credit many years of yoga!!
Old 02-25-21, 02:31 PM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
do you have plantar fasciitis? that could be the cause of both the heel and achilles pain.

for me, i have to find the right height of the chair to use since the back of my knee of the leg on the chair can sometimes feel awkward. i'm short, so a bent leg at the right height is key. it's not sore, just the angle and height needs to be played with.
My right heel has been giving me trouble in the mornings lately but as I get up and move around it straightens out, usually in a couple minutes. But the chair stretches have always bothered me unfortunately.
Old 02-25-21, 02:34 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

In Classical Stretch/Essentrics, I never liked stretching my hamstrings with one foot on the chair doing windmills. It always feels like I'll lose my balance and I think it is an unsafe move. I would rather stretch my hamstrings on the floor with a strap or even in a standing forward fold.

I like the other exercises in CS/Essentrics using a chair, just not stretching hamstrings.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, plantar fasciitis, stretching