Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-04-21, 08:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Back to reality today --- I really enjoyed my holiday break.

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 4 - this was low impact cardio done "inchworm" style. I was surprised that I was getting breathless during the final phases of the inchworm where you sting three exercises together. I don't know why I was surprised, I should know better that Pahla's stuff is harder than it seems and is cumulative.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 3 - Anchor

Yesterday I added on some PT from Jessica Valent - I did one of her SI joint practices and then her stretching for sciatica. My SI joint is bugging me - and it is interesting that she mentions that what it needs most is stability and not stretch - so i have been trying to focus more on stabilizing it - I even sub'd the cat cows in Adriene's yoga w/ bird dogs.

I may take a walk outside today - short - or I may do some more work w/ Jessica V....

Summer Breeze - I hope you are feeling a little bit better - I think sometimes after the dust settles and reality sets in grief gets harder to process.

waves, Pat and Gypsy Rose.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 09:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning!! Happy Moan Day!! Yesterday featured:

~ My own awareness meditation in the morning
~ Gym for 15 minutes recumbent, 60 minutes cable machine PT, weight machines for lower body, chest and back, and finished off shoulders and arms with dumbbells
~ Felicia Tomasko "Yin for Self Care with Ayurvedic Principles" (Glo)

Slacked off a couple of days on LWR but that's okay.

Waves to everyone. I hope you will all have a good day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 05:12 PM  
GypsyRose

Hello!

Yesterday, 1 mile walk and today a 2 mile beach walk. Later, I will do Seated Qigong for the lungs.

Donna Interesting about strength not stretch for the SI joint. More programs for women are focusing on strength and that's a good thing.

Summer Breeze I think in other cultures, in other times, you would get to scream your grief. And people around you would understand as they went through the same experience. We are a bit on our own in our society when it comes to grief. Walking with your DD is such a good and healthy practice. Sending you strength.

Pat You have now officially got into my head on Moandays! Now I start the week off with laughter thanks to you

Take care everyone

Rose
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:53 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on Jessica V's new Pilates workout - I did it from the Unlimited Site rather than You Tube, but I think it is the same workout! I also did her sciatica stretch routine in the evening. With my SI joint bugging me, the prolonged sitting is not great so the stretch for sciatica felt good. Jessica seems to know what she is doing when it comes to SI joint issues as I think she suffers from them as well. Interestingly, the population most likely to suffer from SI joint dysfunction is young and middle aged women. I think a factor is hormones that make the joints looser....and less stable.

Today it was back to Pahla!

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight Day - 5 Met Con style. I really liked this one!! It was 30 seconds cardio, 90 seconds strength. It seems odd that I would enjoy this protocol so much b/c like Pahla, I'm a cardio girl. But, I really enjoyed the longer strength interval to focus on form and really get into the mind/body connection - that Pahla talks about in this video. It was not super sweaty and I hardly got any steps, but it was still a good one for today!

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 4 - Listen - this was a little gentler than the day before.

Summer Breeze, I agree w/ Gypsy Rose - our culture does not handle grief well - we expect everyone to take a couple of days, gather themselves and move on as if nothing happened. And that is not how it works and it isn't healthy for our mind or body. So...please feel free to share whatever you need to share here....I know everyone is different in what they feel is right for them - so, of course if you don't want to share, that is ok, too. But we are here for you.

Gypsy Rose -nice walk - I am thinking of adding one in today - but indoors - I may do half of a Walking Online Workout - I paid for a month to use the holiday walks but she has some other nice options as well. So I may do about 15 min today as a break from sitting.

Pat - wow, good job on the gym! I have to get back to LWR as well. Maybe after Pahla's challenge which I'm enjoying - she is somewhat similar to LWR but she talks way more, LOL! And I think LWR is a tad bit harder even though she doesn't use weights.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
Old 01-05-21, 09:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was:

100 kettlebell swings

DD and I had many errands yesterday and she had a dentist appt so we were out all afternoon. By the time we were done I had no time or energy left to walk. I did the swings after dinner. I am hoping to walk today, I'm feeling a little better and after being out all yesterday afternoon I felt better and more energized.

DONNA, good job with Pahla, Adrienne and all the rest. I may be wrong, but I thought I remember your saying a steady diet of Pahla tweaks your lower back/SI joint. Am I misremembering? Thank you for your support and kind words.

ROSE, nice walks. Thank you also for your support.

PAT, great gym day! Yeah your Moandays get my week started off with a laugh even though I'm sure they're not so funny to you

You've all been so kind and supportive and I appreciate it. I try to stay positive and not whine too much but thank you all for listening when I do.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 01:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hello!! Not a bad day yesterday:

~ LWR Standing Ab Workout (Advent Day 21)
~ Some floor PT and 30 bridges
~ 20 minute lunch walk
~ Sara Clark "Revel in Rest" restorative yoga; Gopi Kallayil "Settle Down for Sleep" meditation
~ 7,000 + steps

Rose, nice to see you are a beach walker, too.

Donna you have me so interested in Pahla. I'll definitely check her out after finishing my LWR rotation.

Summer Breeze, I'm so happy you are feeling better about being out all day and spending time with your DD. Sending hugs XXXX. Reach out and share, we are here for you.
Old 01-06-21, 09:15 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today's workouts were:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight - Day 6 - although I think she refers to this as a walk there was not much walking, just as a break between circuits. This one was mostly like the FiRM's 4 Limb aerobic style. You hold light weights the entire time and do low impact cardio exercises. She did it circuit style with three exercises per circuit repeated three times. I found it pretty challenging w/ 3 lbs and I had to drop to 2 lbs for the second half of the routine. It definitely felt like "enough" for me today, which is great, in under 30 minutes!

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 5 - Replenish.

Yesterday for add-ons I did 15 min of a Walking Online Workout - it was nice, good music, pretty beach scenery. I think my subscription ends on 1/15 and I think I will cancel - I like it well enough but I feel I own or can access other options for getting in some extra steps/activity for $0 per month as opposed to $9.99/month. I may subscribe again in the future - it is nice to move and listen to music and see pretty scenery.... I also think it is funny that I like this extreme (no talking) and Pahla (non-stop talking!)

I also did Jessica V's SI Joint exercises again.

Summer Breeze - You are right I think at one time I did attribute back pain to Pahla - but I'm not sure if I'm correct in that assumption. This last round of SI joint pain started before Xmas when I wasn't doing Pahla's workouts. I'm not totally sure of the trigger......probably something mundane like sitting too much or something like that. I think when I had attributed pain to Pahla it was probably b/c I was doing too much - I found myself adding on to her stuff a lot b/c i felt it wasn't enough - and I think I was over-doing it. But, I'm going to keep aware of things and see how everything plays out. Unfortunately, me and my back have a long and contentious relationship. I half wonder if when I am finally done w/ perimeno and in meno if my back pain will improve. I wonder how much of this is hormonal? Or maybe posture..or other imblances I have..... I think today I may do Jessica V's scoliosis routine - that is often a helpful one....Oh and walks w/ my DD are my favorite. Being a teen-ager that is the only time she talks to me...I think b/c we are not facing each other -so no eye contact.

Pat - I really like Pahla's down to earth approach to middle aged fitness. Beware, she talks a lot -- and she laughs and giggles and I can see how some people would not like it - but I have not only gotten used to it but I have come to enjoy it....it feels like working out w/ a friend.

waves, Gypsy Rose.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 01-06-21, 09:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning!!!

I was so tired yesterday and barely dragged myself home. My doctor is playing around with my thyroid meds - probably a contributing factor. But I accomplished:

~ LWR 7 Minute Walk/4 Minute Glutes
~ LWR 7 Minute Fast Pace Walk (Advent Days 22 and 23)
~ Koya Webb, "Mindful Movement" yoga and meditation
~ Just over 7,000 steps

The Mindful Movement yoga was like a prescription from the Universe. Koya started out with some nice stress relieving breath work, then some eye yoga, some seated poses to unkink the neck, shoulders and side body, then a 10 minute seated meditation. I started following her on FB, she has a beautiful presence.

Donna - that is interesting that you like the WOW walks with no talking, and Pahla with lots of talking. Maybe that's your exercise yin and yang? The Walk Off the Weight workout sounds challenging. I took a look at her channel and think LWR will remain my chatty lady for now but I do like Pahla's moves.

Hello Rose and Summer. Have a great day!
Old 01-06-21, 10:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was:

28 minute outdoor walk

I started getting a little woozy during my walk so I cut it short. I spoke with the PA in my medical practice and he ordered some blood work for me. I had a physical and bloodwork scheduled for next month but he wanted the bloodwork sooner. I think it's stress and lack of sleeping and eating but it is good to check when things turn into physical symptons. I'll probably rest today.

PAT, nice variety for you. The Mindful Movement yoga sounds like something I should check out. I'm normally not a yoga/meditation person but maybe it's time.

DONNA, good job keeping up with your routine. I have a touchy back too but unfortunately being passed menopause hasn't changed it. I'm ok now but last year I suffered for the whole year with sciatic pain.

Hi ROSE.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 07:27 PM  
GypsyRose

Hello!

A beach walk yesterday and a park walk today. Also, Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs from memory.

Summer Breeze Good to get the blood work done.

Donna What has worked for me with the SI joint is to minimize twists. Workouts like Ellen's with her twists, especially when she leans forward and down and then twists from the waist- that kills my back.

Pat Yeah, beach walks are nice! Sometimes I see dolphins close in to the shore though none this year. Yet.

Enjoy the day!

Rose
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jim fixx