Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-11-21, 08:55 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Miraculously, I'm still doing Pahla's challenge, LOL!

Today was:

Pahla B- Walk off the Weight - Day 10 - Gentle Toning. This was about right for what I needed today - it was mainly toning - w/ light weights, done inchworm style. I think the intervals were 20 seconds/10 seconds??? The way she does the inchworms is exercise 1, rest, exercise 1 and 2, rest, exercise 2 and 3, rest and so on.....

Jessica Valent - Arms & Abs Pilates (20 min)

Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 min Morning Stretch.

Confession, I am not sure if I want to continue w/ Adriene. I used to love her, but now...I'm not sure, I can't put my finger on what it is but I'm becoming annoyed by her practices, and I have no idea why. Maybe it is the talking, but I am working out w/ Pahla and she talks non stop. Anyway, we shall see how things go.....

Pam - nice workouts!!

Sherry -that sounds like a nice present for your DD. My Golden has taken to sleeping on the bed and there is no room for her- so I end up scrunched up all the time.

wishiwasinhawaii - I did survive the event - it wasn't too bad - it was in the 40's at least - it was a little windy - but not bad. it was a lot of standing though - like for hours....next week she has a real show - so probably more of the same. She enjoys it and is a much healthier interest than others she could have. I'm glad your nephew doesn't have symptoms. At the moment, I think my DD is serously considering SUNY-B - I think b/c she got in - and she didn't think she would. But, unless they give her a scholarship - I'm not sure that it makes sense to go there - it is expensive for out of state and both of her in-state options here offered her scholarships that make the price really attractive. And, SUNY-B is probably 5-6 hours away...I have mild anxiety attacks thinking of her being 2 1/2 hours away! LOL! And, I think SUNY-B is a pretty big school, bigger than either of the in-state options she is looking at in MD.... Next week we're going to visit the school that is 20 min away - I think she should still consider it - especially w/ her horse in the picture. And, we still don't own him, although she seems somewhat resigned to it may not happen...TBH, I don't think the owners really want to sell him. I wish they would just tell us so we can move on - but whenever I ask about it - they push the date back....I think she should look for another horse - there is one at her barn that is for sale now and I bet we could get him for a lower price. he isn't as experienced but he is sweet. Her horse is sort of mean...but she is very attached to him, having been leasing him for 4 or 5 years now.....

*sigh*

Hope everyone has a good Monday!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 05:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 15 (Cardio Party!)

Hi Ladies,

I wasn't feeling like Cardio Party today so I jettisoned the DVD, lol! The energy on set is high and I wanted something a bit more low key.

So, I did drag out my Supreme Pilates machine. I did the Buns and Thighs workout with Ellen Croft and forgot how great that felt to work hips and legs...wowee! It's funny, I had the original machine for so many years now and never realized there was a Pro version of this machine which looks really nice!

Didn't rest well last night so I'm lucky I got anything in today!

Donna, I feel Adriene is a little too chatty for me, which is why do a couple of her workouts and then give up.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 07:00 PM  
Leonana

Today was KCM 30MTF Weights. I got confused with the premix section, not realizing there was a second page! The second page had the total body workouts. So I did Workout 1 with cardio, which is mostly chest and back. I will need to do Workout 2 on Wednesday, which is the other parts of upper body, so I don’t strain anything. There is also an option to choose standing abs, instead of cardio, so I think I’ll do abs. I’m not too good at following her cardio, she changes too fast for me.

I now have the two Firms and Chris Freytag that I ordered from Thriftbooks, and I’m looking forward to trying them soon.

Pam, I think this KCM dvd has standing abs, I’m looking forward to trying it.

Donna, great job on sticking with the Pahla B challenge!
Old 01-11-21, 07:49 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Upper Body Strength. I had to drop down again halfway through. There's just so many reps that I can't maintain using 8 lbs throughout. oh well.

Donna, SUNY-B is pretty big, but not huge. Have you and your DD visited there? I'm pretty sure they have horse stables in that area (at least they did back in the day) but it seems like it would be easier if your DD was closer. I haven't been there in over 20 years so I have no idea what it's like now. Glad to hear the horse event wasn't too bad. My younger nephew played football and I spent many days watching games in freezing weather. I remember one game when he was in 6th grade where it was 25 degrees. Not fun.

Pam, I have days where I don't feel like doing the workout that's scheduled and I do sometimes substitute something else. As long as we're doing something, that's all that matters, but I usually follow it because it's just one less decision to make, LOL.

Sherry, Sounds like you're having fun with all your new DVDs!
Old 01-12-21, 08:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight Day 11 (Balance Practice). I really was not expecting to like this workout - but I did....one circuit repeated 2X - first round was 40 sec cardio/20 sec balance the second round she reverse to 40 sec balance, 20 sec cardio. I actually do have pretty decent balance so I didn't struggle all that much with this one. I wonder if balance may be a genetic thing - my DD also has good balance - she rides horses (and, knock wood, has only fallen a few times) and she ice skates....I don't do either of those things, so not sure where my balance comes from.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath Day 10 - Connect - well, what a difference a day makes, I was in the mood for Adriene today. I think the key with me doing her challenges is going with the flow so to speak and skipping days as I need to. Today she was fine and didn't bother me at all.

Jessica Valent - PT for SI Joint. I like this short workout for the SI joint.

Yesterday for extra activity I did CS 1105 and about 15 min of a Walking Online Workout. My subscription to WOW ends in a few days so I figure I'll use those for some extra activity until my sub ends.

Pam - Oh gosh, now I want to look for a Supreme Pilates machine.....I'm going to do that today, LOL! Not like I need it. Is it easy to store? That is one worry I have our workout room is full w/ a bike (recumbent) and treadmill that neither of us use very often. I also have a Nordic Track in the shed.

Sherry - good job and good plan - looking forward to hearing what you think of your other new workouts!

wishiwasinhawaii - Gosh, I haven't been to Binghamton in ages - probably 20 years or so. I know the dorm I lived in was torn down and replaced and I think they remodeled/rebuilt many of the other dorms, too. We haven't been there to visit - I think my DD wants to go there mainly b/c she got in, LOL! But I suspect she will probably end up at one of the in-state options. I'm glad your nephew is still doing well - and yikes - 25 degrees...fortunately I think that may be too cold for horses....but not sure...I think they get stiff when they are cold. The trainer at the barn said horses love the 40's - I guess not too hot or too cold for them.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 01-12-21, 03:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 16 (Upper Body Strength!)

Hello Ladies,

I had another good workout with Jessica, with lighter weight mods for shoulder exercises. I was looking at the orange/yellow colored weights Jessica uses in this workout and I believe they are FIFTEEN pounders. Unless my eyes were failing me, LOL!

I was going to do some more pilates on the Supreme machine since I had such DOMS in my rear end from yesterdays workout! Wow, I don't remember it having this kind of effect from years long past! I'm going to try to use it here and there now that I have it out in my small workout space again. I thought I had ordered extra springs for the SP but I could not find them. I remember corresponding with Ellen Croft directly when I purchased them. The newer SP Pro had Ellen Barrett as the spokesperson for it, but I think that machine (though better quality) was much heavier and a couple hundred dollars more.

Donna, my original SP is very easy to store. You just unscrew two knobs from each side of the machine and it folds upright to stand against a wall (or it would fit underneath a bed!) Mine had been stored in my basement, but it really didn't take up much space folded. And, has small rollers so very easy to move around. I think the complaint with the newer machine (which I never bought) was that it had a short platform/pad, so reclining on it may have left your legs dangling off the edge of the mat. But, mine is like that with some exercises, too!

Have a good day all!

Current Rotation:
Old 01-12-21, 06:16 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I had to go for my second Shingrix shot today so I'm not doing a workout and am just taking it easy. My arm is sore but otherwise I feel fine. I didn't have a reaction to the first one so hopefully I won't have one this time either.

Donna, I can understand your DD's excitement about getting into SUNY-B, but it does sound like she'd be better off going in-state. Plus, I would expect most of the kids going there are from NY state so she might feel a bit like an outsider coming from another state. As you know, Binghamton has some nasty weather and had 40" of snow recently, so that's another consideration. That's one of the reasons I left, LOL!

Pam, Did you do Upper Body today? I did that yesterday and if Jessica is using 15 lbs, all I can say is OMG! I always start that one using 8 as the heavier weight and I can make it halfway through before I have to drop to 5. There are just too many reps in that one for me to use 8 all the way through. Of course, Jessica was probably in her mid-30s when she filmed that and I'm quite a bit older, so that makes me feel better, LOL!

Waves, Sherry!
Old 01-12-21, 06:59 PM  
Leonana

Today was Goodwill day. We spent about five hours going to three Goodwills, and Trader Joe's to pick up a salad for lunch. I'm beat!

I think I found a good deal! I bought The Pink Firm, Cardio Weight System. It has four dvd's, hi-def sculpt, cardio overdrive, hard core fusion and cardio party. The description says hi-def sculpt is body shaping exercises at a slower pace, and cardio overdrive is low impact cardio and body shaping exercises. Hard core fusion is aerobic and weight training, and cardio party sounds like a dance workout. TBH, I don't know if I'll do the last two, especially if there is high impact, but the weight training and low impact cardio is definitely what I"m looking for. And I got it for 90 cents!

Waves to everyone!
Old 01-12-21, 10:40 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Okay, I just went to the Spri website and their orange vinyl dumbells are TEN pounds. But, the colors could have changed over the years...maybe. So yeah, that's a bit more reasonable (for a fitness professional) to lift that heavy...I suppose. Just not me! ;-)

wishiwasinhawaii, yes I did Upper Body Strength today (Tuesday!) With you taking a rest day, now we'll be on the same schedule! Until I get lazy and decide to take a unplanned rest day!

Sherry, you're really getting the DVD bargains! Way to go!

Donna, keep in mind I am a exercise machine fitness junkie. If there's equipment to be bought, I've probably owned it at one time or another. My DH just rolls his eyes when something else comes to our door! Don't let me persuade you, in any way! Especially if you're moving away from DVDs to streaming, although I think many of the Supreme Pilates workouts may be available on YouTube now.

Current Rotation:
Old 01-13-21, 10:44 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 12 - Simple Strength Training. A nice straightforward workout. You could definitely go heavier if you were so inclined since this one moves slowly and there are no fancy moves.

Jessica Valent - Power of Twists - I hesitated on this one - thinking it would be hard - and it was - but in a good way. Jessica mentions up front it would be wrist intensive - I know she likes to do a lot of body weight stuff for arms, but I wish she was more inclusive in this regard to people who may not be able to be on their hands/wrists for so long. I personally don't have an issue with it - but I know many people do. Maybe she should post alternative workouts on the days she knows are wrist intensive. This one was also filmed outside and it was windy so the sound quality was not great. But, it was a good workout that I found challenging in some spots and definitely had to modify. I do like the challenge though.

Yesterday for my extras I did CS 1106 - Standing and Barre work and Ellen's Quick Fix, which was all floorwork.

Soooo...for February I'm thinking about options - either doing Jessica's WS1 again, doing Pahla's other weight loss series or her body shaping program, or following Jessica V's calendar and mixing in a variety.

I'm not sure....I am surprised that I'm sticking it out w/ Pahla so far. And, I actually feel a little less bulky....for lack of a better word....I did start logging my food (something I hate doing) and being more mindful of snacking and I think it is at least working to depuff me.

I have plans for extras today just not sure which ones..LOL!

Pam - thanks!! How big is the Pilates Supreme and how easy is it to move around/store/put away? LOL. Not like I should be considering it. Didn't you buy something (a bike??) recently?

Sherry - those are awesome Goodwill finds. I used to do those FIRMs. I should really pull them out again and see what I think...

wishiwasinhawaii - on the college choice front, I think she is back to considering her two in-state options. And, I think that makes the most sense financially, especially w/ grad school expenses at some point. And yes Binghamton is cloudy, cold and dreary in the winter - at least here we get some warm days we get plenty of days above freezing.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Donna

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy