Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-06-21, 04:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 10 (Lower Body Sculpt)

Hi Ladies,

Today was WS Lower Body Sculpt and boy does Jessica pack a lot into this workout. My chair kept sliding around when doing bridge work, so towards end I just kept my feet on the floor. I liked it pretty well and the variety in this one is great. Only trouble is what you do to one side of the body, you still have to do to the other and there were a lot of reps. Easy on the shoulders, though.

Have a good day everyone.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 07:18 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was the Prehab Routine. I hadn't done this one in years and it's really a very restorative workout that I should do more often.

Pam, I did Lower Body yesterday and didn't bother to use the chair because I remembered having trouble with it the last time I did that workout.

Sherry, Thanks for posting that update on Lift & Shift in the other thread. I hadn't been on FB all day and didn't see it. It sounds like Jessica is doing her best to get these out, but it's beyond her control.

Donna, I like the idea of paying once and having perpetual access to it. That type of model is fine with me.
Old 01-06-21, 10:15 PM  
Leonana

Today I did one of my "new" KCM dvds, NYC Body Sculpting workout. It's from 2007. It's 55 minutes, about 10-15 minutes of ab and leg work on the floor, which I skipped. It seemed to be lighter weights and higher reps. She used a step, but I didn't, just to see how well I could do the workout. I think I'll be fine using a step in the future. She used the step for leg work, with lunges. The leg work was without weights, mostly lunges and squats, and had a cardio affect. It was doable for me, a good level. Most of the dumbbell moves were different and ones I haven't done, but I think they were good functional moves. I skipped one, where she does an overhead move but rotates the arm in a circle on the way up. I did the overhead move, but didn't rotate my arm. Too afraid of an injury with that. I also skipped the tricep dip, and subbed in some pushups, because Justina Ercole said they were the best for triceps. Overall I really liked it and can see why KCM is popular. It definitely relieved the stress of the day!

I have more Thriftbooks purchases to try out. I have one more KCM, the Christ Freytag and one Firm. I'm still waiting on one of the Firms in the mail.

Donna, I am getting more into instructors that I was previously afraid of. I'm even thinking of Cathe! Once you embrace the idea of modification, the workout is achievable and actually enjoyable, and it's still a challenge. In skincare news, the Paula's Choice sunscreen I was using, the Face and Body, breaks me out. Boo! And it's so affordable because you get 5 oz. I think I need to go back to the tried and true Eucerin!

wishiwasinhawaii, you're welcome. I think that Jessica has to be overwhelmed and feel a lot of pressure. I think because we haven't had many releases this year, everyone is starved for something new. But it must be a lot of stress for the instructor trying to deal with it all.

Pam, you are definitely making me want to revisit WS1!
Old 01-07-21, 10:02 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Well, I needed a change today - I didn't sleep well last night, I was up at 1:00 a.m. watching Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Bewitched episodes on You Tube until about 3:00 a.m. - I don't know why, I just get insomnia sometimes. TBH, my mind was a bit cluttered regarding my DD and her college choices and all that - we were supposed to visit a school next week, but they cancelled visits b/c of our rising case counts. So, I'm just feeling a bit anxious about that and how to make decisions w/out being able to do things like visit, and see things in person. I then started to mull over the whole horse purchase situation...anyway - like everything else, this too shall pass and things will become clear!

So...that being said, I wasn't quite ready for Pahla this morning so I did:

Ellen - Strength, Lengthen and Breathe - it was perfect for me this morning. Just love, love Ellen!

If I feel up for it I may do Pahla's workout this afternoon at lunch or I may just take the doggie for a walk b/c it is finally sunny.

Oh - yesterday I did a CS episode at lunch - 1101 and I did Jessica Valent's Scoliosis workout (17 min) on her paid site after work.

And- an interesting revelation - I am questioning whether it is my SI joint that is whacked out or my QL or psoas. The side stretches in JV's and Miranda's workouts really felt great and I think working on my "sides" may be relieving tension and allowing my hips to become better aligned. My QL on my right side is tight and I think it causes my hip to hike up on that side...which then causes my left hip to hurt. Ugh.

But feeling better today.

Sherry - I agree about modification and going at your own pace! As Pahla says, there are no exercise police! I do agree that triceps are worked well in push-ups and I think it is less risky on the shoulder to do push-ups. Looking forward to hearing more about your new "finds"! I am not having a good time w/ my skin these days. I think it is maskne. I do like the Eucerin sunscreen, it works well and is affordable!!

Nice work, wishiwasinhawai and Pam!!!

Off to read the GD thread about Jessica's update....

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 10:56 AM  
Leonana

Today is my volunteer filing. I will update with any evening workouts.

Well, the KCM NYC dvd is going to Share the Wealth. I strained my pirifirmis on the right side (from googling, I think that's what is being affected). I believe it was all the lunges and squats. I think because KCM did the leg work as cardio, there were a lot of lunges, up and down multiple times. It's too much for my legs. Usually, stretching and massage relieves the pain, but I had to take a Tylenol in the middle of the night.

Donna, I didn't sleep well either. Stressful times. I'm sure everything will work out for your dd, but I know the wait must be stressful.
Old 01-07-21, 12:42 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Interval Mix. Another workout I had completely forgotten about!

I didn't sleep well either. Who can with everything that's going on?

Donna, Do the colleges have virtual tours? I know it's not the same as going in person, but better than nothing. Some colleges let you visit if you make an appointment or maybe you can drive around the campus, if that's the only option.

Sherry, Sorry to hear the KCM DVD wasn't good for you. At least you didn't spend a lot!

Well, now I have to run to yet another meeting...
Old 01-07-21, 04:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 11 (Prehab Routine!)

Hi Ladies,

Today was just the Prehab Routine workout so I began with Linda Wooldrige's Barlates Bounce series, for the first time. It's very cardio focused, so she has you jumping right away. I will have to work up to this one, but it's pretty decent. My reservations was trying to do lunges on my rebounder, which there isn't much room for. I could see it on a larger "mini-tramp."

Jessica's Prehab Routine (my fingers wanted to type "rehab") was good, but a little long at 35 minutes. It was fairly relaxing and effective and I probably did this one less than a year ago, as I remembered it. Seems my body needs more TLC than I usually give it.

Sherry, I'm sorry KCM NYC (New You Coming) didn't agree with you. It's a very old school gym routine, but one I never reach for. I tend to pull from my shelf newer Kelly workouts. I love Train Like a Contender or TLC and if you like boxing or kickboxing with drills it's very good! I hope you feel better soon. I've been where you're at with doing Slim Series workouts because the lunges and squats are so fast.

I sort of avoided yesterday's chaos, but I heard from all of the posts on Facebook. Very crazy, the times we live in now. I don't want/need the added stress to my life!

Try to have a better day everyone (and a more restful nights sleep!)

Current Rotation:
Old 01-08-21, 08:59 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla - Walk off the Weight Challenge Day 7- this was a walk (30 seconds), followed by low impact cardio (30 seconds), followed by standing core work (30 seconds). The standing core was the low impact taken down to a slow pace to work on the core and balance. I am glad I didn't do this one when sleep deprived. LOL! I had enough trouble balancing today being more rested.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 6 - this was also a core focused practice! I did modify here and there some stuff just didn't feel right. I agree w/ what others have said about Adriene not generally showing modifications or the use of props in her practices. it doesn't bother me b/c I do know how to modify and use props, but I can see how someone new to yoga would be at risk of either injury or frustration.

Yesterday's additional activity was a short walk w/ DD and Summer (my Golden) and then Ellen's Stretch 360 and a quick stretch w/ Jessica Valent.

Sherry - ugh sorry about the piriformis - I'm still having some hip pain on my left side and I'm not 100% sure what is going on - I keep trying different things but so far no real luck in figuring out a permanent solution.

wishiwasinhawaii - yes, we can do virtual tours. One of the schools we were going to visit was one we had been to already- so not a totally big deal not to be able to go. Another one that we were going to visit is in PA and you need to have a negative COVID test 72 hours prior to the tours and my DD just didn't want to get the test. The two schools are similar though and one is in-state and a heck of a lot cheaper, so I think if she were to pick one of the two it would be the in-state option. They are both approx. the same distance away, too. She did get into SUNY Binghamton - she's considering it but out of state tuition makes it expensive...and she has a similar in-state option here. So, we will just do the virtual tours and we did drive around a campus in August. We have a tour set up next week for the school that is only 20 min away - and since they are private they may be able to continue to have tours.

Pam - I have yet to try one of Linda's workouts.

And yes, the chaos, the sadness and the unnecessary deaths and injuries from it all. I live in the D.C. suburbs (well probably x-burbs) and I'm just so glad to be working from home and not having to deal w/ what I'm sure was chaotic w/ mass transportation shutting down, etc.

So sad.

But, on a happy note I am glad it is Friday.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 03:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 12 (Interval Mix!)

Hi Ladies,

Jessica really becomes the energizer bunny in this one, lol! I was glad to have Debbie in the background to follow for some modifications, which made the workout very do-able for me. I was a bit fearful with "interval" in the title but had nothing to worry about. I liked that the planks were done elevated on a chair (I used my Fannylifter.) It makes me want to do this type of workout in a regular rotation to see my improvement from the previous time I did it. I just don't want to go full out Mountain Climbers, Burpees, and whatnot higher impact and faster paced all the time and gung-ho. That's not me and never will be.

I did some light jumping on the rebounder beforehand, and went through the Warmup in Interval Mix twice, to get me psyched and ready, ha! Tonight I'll try to get some stretching in before bed, too!

Donna, Linda Wooldridge forgets how to do workouts for beginners. The majority of her DVDs are solid intermediate and even advanced most of the time, but she's very good. I usually can't do all of the reps in any given exercise. I think only in the last year or two has she created more beginner friendly DVDs. Talk about the energizer bunny, that's her to a T. Her personality is very endearing and sweet...trying to kill me with kindness.

Sherry, are you feeling any better today? Hope you're okay.

Have a good one!

Current Rotation:
Old 01-08-21, 07:29 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Total Body Training. I like this one.

I didn't exercise until after dinner because today was a weird day. One of my nephews tested positive for COVID so I've been upset about that. He is 19 and doesn't have symptoms, so hopefully he'll be ok. The rest of the family got tested and is negative. I haven't been around them (or anyone) so no need for me to be tested. Work was very busy, which was good in a way because it took my mind off it for a bit.

Donna, Congrats to your DD for getting into SUNY-B! I know it's not easy to get in there, but as you say, you'd have to pay out of state tuition. And with COVID not going away anytime soon, I think it would be tough to go away with all that going on anyway.

Pam, I did Interval Mix yesterday and felt like I was very out of shape because I was having trouble keeping up! It's a good thing I'm doing WS 1 and not WS 3!

Sherry, Hope you're feeling better!

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy