Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-03-21, 12:51 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Upper Body Strength. I started with 8 and 5 lbs, but had to drop down halfway through because this is one of those workouts that has a lot of reps. I had forgotten about that.

No outdoor walks today. It was snowing earlier and now it has changed over to an icy rain, so I'll be staying in!

I really am curious about Lift & Shift. There's a lot of mystery surrounding it so I hope it's not a subscription. I'm planning to work my way through WS 1, 2, 3, but if Lift & Shift is released soon and it's on DVD, I'll drop whatever I'm doing, LOL!

Donna, Are you continuing to work from home? My boss hasn't mentioned anything and I'm fully expecting to stay home all of 2021.

Pam, Glad I could provide some inspiration, LOL! I really like WS 1 and I'm not sure why I waited so long to do another round, but like you said, it really is perfect right now.

Waves, Sherry!
Old 01-04-21, 08:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Back to reality today --- I really enjoyed my holiday break.

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 4 - this was low impact cardio done "inchworm" style. I was surprised that I was getting breathless during the final phases of the inchworm where you sting three exercises together. I don't know why I was surprised, I should know better that Pahla's stuff is harder than it seems and is cumulative.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 3 - Anchor

Yesterday I added on some PT from Jessica Valent - I did one of her SI joint practices and then her stretching for sciatica. My SI joint is bugging me - and it is interesting that she mentions that what it needs most is stability and not stretch - so i have been trying to focus more on stabilizing it - I even sub'd the cat cows in Adriene's yoga w/ bird dogs.

I may take a walk outside today - short - or I may do some more work w/ Jessica V....

wishiwasinhawaii - we are still working from home, thankfully. I expect it will be the case for much of 2021, I guess depending on how things go w/ vaccines and such - I don't anticipate returning to the office any time soon, and honestly, I hope to never have to return full time....they were talking about doing a hybrid model for school here - but I think that is not going to happen. Our case count and positivity rate are steadily increasing, unfortunately.

Waves, Pam and Sherry!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 03:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 8 (Upper Body Strength!)

Hi Ladies,

I ended up taking Sunday off, so started back up with the 2nd Week of WS today! The Upper Body Strength was good, but yeah I had to drop down in weight for that shoulder/back work towards the very end. Started out very well, though. Added to this Jessica's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility (Chest and Back Flow!) This was a good one to stretch out the spine, too! I've been really enjoying adding more yoga to my week and hope it helps to prevent future injuries, while further repairing my frozen shoulder that still is not at a hundred percent.

Have a good Monday, everyone!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 06:32 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was 360 Abs...again! It's strange it comes up on the schedule twice in 5 days, but I will not question Jessica's wisdom, LOL. I also went for a half hour walk indoors.

Donna, I agree about working from home. I really don't think we'll be going back at all this year because it's going to take a long time to vaccinate everyone. I plan to apply for permanent work from home and hopefully that will be approved. My niece went back to school today, but I doubt that will go on for too long.

Pam, I need to do more yoga. I really dislike it though!

Waves to Sherry!
Old 01-04-21, 06:58 PM  
Leonana

Rest day on Saturday. On Sunday, I did the 4 Mile Power Walk dvd, miles 3 and 4 and the WU and CD. Today I did you tube Straight Up Strength Training. I also did the five minute stretch on the new Stretch dvd. I really liked it.

Donna, I hope it works out for you to work from home more often permanently.

wishiwasinhawaii, from reading comments in the GD about Lift and Shift, I suspect it might be digital, especially since it's 12 weeks long.

Pam, I just bought two KCM dvd's from Thriftbooks. I wonder if I got ones with the standing abs moves. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Old 01-05-21, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on Jessica V's new Pilates workout - I did it from the Unlimited Site rather than You Tube, but I think it is the same workout! I also did her sciatica stretch routine in the evening. With my SI joint bugging me, the prolonged sitting is not great so the stretch for sciatica felt good. Jessica seems to know what she is doing when it comes to SI joint issues as I think she suffers from them as well. Interestingly, the population most likely to suffer from SI joint dysfunction is young and middle aged women. I think a factor is hormones that make the joints looser....and less stable.

Today it was back to Pahla!

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight Day - 5 Met Con style. I really liked this one!! It was 30 seconds cardio, 90 seconds strength. It seems odd that I would enjoy this protocol so much b/c like Pahla, I'm a cardio girl. But, I really enjoyed the longer strength interval to focus on form and really get into the mind/body connection - that Pahla talks about in this video. It was not super sweaty and I hardly got any steps, but it was still a good one for today!

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 4 - Listen - this was a little gentler than the day before.

wishiwasinhawaii - do you have the option to work from home forever - like even after COVID? I don't think I will be that lucky, but I'm hoping to at least be able to work at home half time....I don't think I would be so desperate to retire if I could keep working from home full time. Yea, it is still a drag having to work, but not having to take the time to dress and commute really makes it better. Oh, if you don't like yoga - no need to do it - if you are looking to increase flexibility plain old stretching works great as does Classical Stretch!

Nice job, Sherry!!! I'm excited to hear about your new KCM workouts.

Pam - good job w/ your workouts. Injuries tend to take so long to heal. It is frustrating. I was looking up stuff to do for my SI joint so I'm going to incorporate those exercises in throughout the day. It is interesting that full rest is not advised for more than a day or two - and I only feel I need to rest at the end of the day when it catches up to me. Hopefully it will just quiet itself down soon.

Waves,

Donna
Old 01-05-21, 05:12 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 9 (360 Abs)

Hi Ladies,

Ok, I knew 360 Abs was coming up today so I subbed it out for WS2 Build Balance and Inner Strength (Core Control) workout! Standing pilates, balance and core was the focus and all done without shoes! I liked the attention to the lower body at the start while gently stretching or twisting. It was also nice that this was done sans weights, since shoulders are still sore from yesterday's Upper Body. It was just the ticket and more low key than 360 Abs. I only got about six hours of sleep last nights. Cats are getting me up early with their chasing, meowing, yowling, and jumping on and off the bed.

Sherry, I think it's in Your Best Body where Kelly uses standing ab moves between the cardio sculpting workout or the strength workout. She also has an Abs and More DVD and there might be a chapter in this one that is taken from YBB. I also like the premixes from Start Here as she does some fun stuff with skiing, skater and arm movements. Now that I'm typing this it makes me want to do a rotation of hers. In past years, I usually begin the New Year with a KCM rotation, but looking back at last year I started back in January with Leslie Sansone. Go figure.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 06:24 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Lower Body Sculpt. I was concerned about doing squats because I don't want to aggravate the knee issue, but I had no problems. Yay!

Pam, Subbing the WS 2 workout for 360 Abs was a great idea! I'll have to remember that next time it comes up in the schedule.

Donna, About 6 months ago, a manager at work mentioned during a meeting that we can apply for permanent work from home, which I had never heard of before. I haven't applied since COVID is keeping us home anyway, so I'm going to wait until things with COVID ease up and the office starts to fully reopen and then I will apply. I have no idea how my manager will react or if she'll approve it, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. She tends to be a control freak, so I'm afraid she won't. As you said, if I can work from home forever, then I'd be more inclined to work longer. If not, I will retire or semi-retire earlier--or I may find a job that would be work from home. We'll see. I always forget about CS for some reason, but you're right--I should do that instead of forcing myself to do yoga!

Sherry, Hmmm, if Lift & Shift is 12 weeks, then I bet it is digital, but I'm ok with that. As long as I can download it, that's fine. I just don't care for subscriptions, especially for something I know I'd want to go back to. I like having the freedom to go back and do a rotation I paid for whenever I want, like what I'm doing now with WS 1. If it's a subscription, then I feel like I'm paying over and over to access the same material.
Old 01-05-21, 08:36 PM  
Leonana

No workout, but I watched a friend’s 4 year old daughter. I’m wiped out lol. We spent an hour at the park, so I got a lot of walking in today.

Thanks for the info, Pam. I don’t have those dvds. I have 30MTF Weights, 30MTF Strength and Stamina and NYC: Body Sculpting Work.

Donna, I hope your SI joint is doing better.

wishiwasinhawaii, I can understand wanting to own it. I wouldn’t mind a subscription if it’s affordable. I like Justina Ercole, but she charges $50 a month. She does offer personal coaching for that price, but it’s out of my budget.
Old 01-06-21, 09:03 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today's workouts were:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight - Day 6 - although I think she refers to this as a walk there was no much walking, just as a break between circuits. This one was mostly like the FiRM's 4 Limb aerobic style. You hold light weights the entire time and do low impact cardio exercises. She did it circuit style with three exercises per circuit repeated three times. I found it pretty challenging w/ 3 lbs and I had to drop to 2 lbs for the second half of the routine. It definitely felt like "enough" for me today, which is great, in under 30 minutes!

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 5 - Replenish.

Yesterday for add-ons I did 15 min of a Walking Online Workout - it was nice, good music, pretty beach scenery. I think my subscription ends on 1/15 and I think I will cancel - I like it well enough but I feel I own or can access other options for getting in some extra steps/activity for $0 per month as opposed to $9.99/month. I may subscribe again in the future - it is nice to move and listen to music and see pretty scenery.... I also think it is funny that I like this extreme (no talking) and Pahla (non-stop talking!)

I also did Jessica V's SI Joint exercises again.

Pam - Good substitute!!! And, between you and Sherry, you are making me want to go into my workout stash and see what KCM workouts I have. I had purchased a bunch of them years ago and ended up trading many of them - they were too hard for me, LOL. But I think I have reached a point in my fitness journey where I no longer feel the need to keep up with the instructor. If I go lighter or do fewer reps or substitute an exercise, I'm good with it.

wishiwasinhawaii - Glad you made it through Lower Body Sculpt. As I recall, I like the lower body workout in WS1. I think WS2 was not great for my lower back, but I think my form and such on deadlifts has improved - mostly thanks to Pahla B who has taught me it is ok to go slow. And yes, I hate the idea of paying for content - even though I do w/ my subscriptions to Ellen B and Jessica V. I like CocoLime's MITFIT 90 b/c you pay once and then you can access it forever or download it. I hope if Jessica goes that route that is how it works....

Sherry - watching a 4 year old would be exhausting and a workout onto itself. My SI joint is still wonky. I think it is the way I sit more than anything else. I'm trying to have better posture...and take more breaks...

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy