Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-17-21, 12:30 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi friends...we're still waiting for the doctors to give the all clear to go home. Was supposed to be today but they are SO SLOW! But at least he's doing better.

Today I did a new-to-me workout! Cathe's Lower Body Blast! That was a blast for sure! I love the mix of a little cardio to move the legs and plenty of weighted work. Only thing I didn't do is the bonus Barre work but next time.
I really liked this one. Cathe has so many lower body workouts and they're all great but this is a high fav.

Tomorrow is the funeral for my DIL's mom. Sad days. Glad it's almost the weekend.

HUGS

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 07:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all,

Yesterday I substituted Cathe Live #255 Kickboxing and Core for Rev'd Up Rumble. Or so I intended to do. I did the Live workout, skipped the core and found it not all that difficult or inspiring. I ended up adding on Timesaver premix #2 of Rev'd Up Rumble as a "finisher." Today I did Chiseled Upper Body and it also seemed very easy. Sheesh! I used more weight than Cathe and crew, but that's not unusual for me for the Lite and Ice workouts. Anyway I did like it, "easy" as it seemed and despite one of the cats parking himself under me and rubbing my chin when I was trying to do pushups. I'm theorizing that these just seemed easier since the previous 2 days I did Afterburn and Cardio Core Circuit---both of which are really tough for me.

Kate, hopefully you are now all home safe and sound. It does seem to take forever to "check out" of the hospital, between waiting for paperwork and the various sign offs. I'm sorry you are following this with a funeral as well. Hopefully you all will have a chance to rest and regroup.

bee, I'm glad you weren't offended by my comment. I hope your lavender festival goes well!

FOLV, good you are enjoying Workout Manager! I've been entering my workouts during this rotation in it. I wish it could incorporate the Lives but that really would be a time consuming undertaking by the Cathe people so I don't expect it.

Waving to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 12:12 AM  
fanofladyvols

Kate you keep on keeping on, and we'll keep sending you hang in there thoughts and prayers for you, your son and your DIL.

cataddict I'm still plugging away with this rotation but also substituted. I used LITE Pyramid pump instead of the Pyramid DVD. And yeah I can't imagine the work necessary for the lives to be in workout manager.

I am still doing the Swing challenge..finished Day 4 and did Cathe's pyramid pump lower Timesaver premix. This was probably my least favorite Cathe's lower body workouts I have. Too many lunges for my taste. I will only use this DVD for the upper body. Fortunately, I have plenty of other Cathe lower body workouts to use

FriYay Waves to Kim, bee, manley, kittybug, lavna, horusosiris, and Garrie.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 10:11 AM  
manleym

BIG HUGS to you KateTT. You have alot on your plate right now, caring for your family. I know you are a huge support to your stepkids and are loving them through their loss. I hope your son has been released from the hospital by now and pray for him to continue to do better.

Cataddict thanks for the smile picturing your cat rubbing his chin while you were doing pushups! He was there to encourage you to keep going. And yes, agree that doing ANYTHING after Afterburn and Cardio Core Circuit would seem easy!

Bee I hope you have a great time with your sister! The lavender festival sounds so fun! I know you will enjoy it!

FOLV I don't seem to reach for PPump much either. I think there's a shortened premix that I like. I remember doing the full premix of upper and lower and was just ready to be done. Agree with KateTT that Lower Body Blast is one of Cathe's best. It really gets in there, especially doing the entire workout that includes the barre work.

Below are my life and workout details. If you want to read about our fishing trip, please do. If you're like, "nah, fishing's not my jam" then skip to Workouts. If you're not in the mood for anything manleym has to say, then don't read either! LOL!!

Life:
Bee since you asked about our fishing trip.....
There were 6 of us on the boat - hubby, me, hubby's uncle, twin brother, brother #2, and cousin. We caught a TON of fish. And the guys caught some really BIG ones. I didn't do bad myself either.
Just between hubby and I, we caught about 30-35 Bee Liners, each about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. A fun side note, our rigs had double hooks. I pulled in 2 bee liners, then right afterwards hubby pulled in 2 bee liners. It was tons of fun catching 2 fish at the same time, right after each other. Both hubby and I each caught a 20-25 lb Amberjack. I also caught about a 4 ft shark. TONS of FUN getting both of them to the boat! Hubby caught a 15-20 lb Red Snapper, an 8-10 lb Mangrove Snapper and a couple of 6-8 lb. Bar Jacks. And that was just our haul! His brothers, cousin, and uncle were pulling in fish about the same size too! And the guys caught the largest fish within the last 30 minutes of our trip - 15-20 lb red snappers, 8-10 lb mangroves, bar jacks.... but the biggest catch of the day was for my hubby. Within that last 30 minutes he also hooked a shark, which he fought for about 5 minutes but couldn't even get it up to the boat to see. He would reel about 3 times, then the shark would take off. Finally the shark broke the line and got away. Hubby's mom was waiting for us at the marina and she said we had the largest number of fish of all the other boats coming in. So it was a FULL day and quite a workout! Those deep sea fishing rigs are HEAVY. The next day my every part of my left arm hurt - forearm, bicep, shoulder - from holding the pole. Had the end of the pole under my right arm and reeled with my right hand. And oh, having to balance while reeling in the fish was a workout too. So I counted it as a full body workout. It was about an 11 hour trip, but obviously a chunk of that was travel time. The first mate cleaned all of our fish (we couldn't keep the Red Snapper and obviously didn't keep the sharks) so between the 6 of us we all brought home Bee Liners, Mangrove Snapper, Amber Jack, Bar Jack, and anything else we could keep and eat. Tonight's dinner will be pan seared Amber Jack and pan seared Bar Jack. Can't wait!

Workouts:
Wednesday I wanted to do some Kickboxing, so I did Cathe Live #181 Jabs and Kicks, which was GREAT! It was based on Fit Split KBoxing, but I liked #181 much better. I would definitely do this one again.
I was feeling tired and stiff Thursday, so I started off with 60min. Power Yoga LIVE "CROSS TRAIN" with Travis Eliot. It felt really good stretching and opening up the tight spots. I think since I'm adding Lauren's KBell Challenge I'm feeling it more. And it's hot and humid, which never makes working out easier. Then I did Cathe Live #349 Total Body Sizzle, which I LOVED! This workout alternates high and low impact HIIT cardio & metabolic exercises with core at end. It was so sweet at the beginning because Cathe introduced her mom who was in the room with them. Fun seeing her mom and Cathe hugging all over her. So sweet! Then I did Lauren’s 7 Day KB Challenge Days 2 & 3 + Sydney Cummings 20 Minute Lower Body Stretch Summertime Fine 3.0 - Day 35 Fun Friday. Nice stretch after the swings.

Today I'm planning on doing Kat's Basic Step Aerobics Class #6 With My Twin Sister!! in honor of ChelePA + something else. Either another step workout, more of Lauren’s 7 Day KB Challenge, and of course some yoga.

Not sure if I've shared this, but my youngest niece and her husband moved to Georgia a few years ago and are expecting their first child, a boy. They are coming in town this weekend for a baby shower, so I will get to see them, my oldest niece (her sister), and my brother and SIL. I haven't seen them in years so I can't wait! We are all just giddy with excitement since this is the first grandbaby!

Hope everyone is doing well! Hugs and waves to ChelePA, Kittybug, Kim, Lavna, Horusosiris, and Garrie.

P.S. Workout for today - Kat's Basic Step Aerobics Class #6 With My Twin Sister!! (33 Min). I LOVED it even though it was weird seeing them wear masks since they were outside. But overall fun and good workout with good music. Then I did Kat's Basic Step Aerobics Home Workout #7 (Full Workout) 33 Min. I used 2 risers instead of 1 and was glad. This was a good workout, but I thought part 1 was too long and seemed really repetitive. I really liked this workout when all of the combos were put together. Finished with 5 Parks Hanumanasana - Splits Pose & Yoga Flow Class and my lower body was oh so thankful. Really opened up my hips and lower body.

Have a great weekend everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 12:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulan Friends!

Yesterday I did HiiT Pyramid which has always been a favorite. It wasn't "easy" but not killer hard (unlike 40/20, which slays me probably due to the speed of some of the intervals). I added on Kat's 39 minute intermediate/advanced step for our friend Chele. I really enjoy Kat's workouts and the creativity she puts into them. My only ding is that she does repeat the finished combo-within-combos a few too many times. Still, I find her music and the combos refreshing.

manleym, Holy Moly on all the fish you caught! DH and I don't catch fish, but we do eat them. I guess since we live on the coast fish is just something that's a staple part of our diet and we have friends who are generous enough to share their catch on occasion. I wonder if part of your big catch is that they weren't doing many deep sea trips during the pandemic and the fish have been left alone to "be fruitful and multiply?" Funny that our midwest family doesn't like (read "won't eat or won't even try") any seafood when we eat it several times a week. However I remember the limited options for fish growing up in Pittsburgh--canned pink salmon or shrimp or fish sticks pretty much covered it---and I kind of get not eating it much if that's your frame of reference. Your trip sounds fun and great and it's even better that you had such a successful catch!! Enjoy your time with family this weekend!

manley, I'm also glad you're back to fill me in on the Cathe Lives! I've got two more workouts and I'll be done with the March rotation and plan to catch up on them. I just renewed for another 6 months and **bonus** my new health insurance policy will reimburse me for the cost of the subscription! I remember doing Jabs and Kicks when Cathe was offering the freebies during the height of the pandemic. I really liked it and it wasn't available very often so could only do it one time. I'm thinking of putting together my own rotation of Cathe Lives once I recover from this one and I'll throw that one in for Kickboxing Day.

FOLV, good for you at making the rotation your own! Today I'm going to substitute a "new to me" Cathe Live lower body workout for Chiseled Lower Body. I may regret it since my planned sub is an early Live and they tend to be harder than the later DVDs, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Have fun with the Swing Challenge (which could be interpreted several different ways so keep it clean, girl )

bee, hope the lavender festival is going well! Are you getting the horrific heat wave that's out west now?

FN1, how you doin'?

Kate and Chele, sending positive energy to both of you and your families.

Waves to Kim, horusosiris, Nathalie and Garrie

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 06-20-21, 06:43 PM  
Mickey12

Hey all you Watulans!

Cataddict that’s a great perk of your health insurance to pay for the Cathe Live subscription. Woo hoo! My health insurance offers reimbursement of gym membership to a certain dollar amount but there aren’t any participating gyms conveniently located so I never took advantage and I have worked out at home for so long I prefer it now. I was a gym member when I was younger though.

Bee I hope you had a blast at the lavender festival. It sounds like great fun.

Manley I’m glad you had a great vacation. You’re not kidding when you said you caught a lot of fish. It’s great you got to spend time with your extended family.

ChelePA I was going to do a Kat step workout for you for fun Friday but it just didn’t happen. Know that I was thinking of you though. My workouts have been pretty spotty and uninspired lately. We just got back from a short Disney Springs trip and we’re leaving on Wednesday for Gettysburg so I have been sort of out of my usual routine. I will get back on track when we return from vacation.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Old 06-21-21, 05:50 AM  
lavna

Good morning everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post more but I've been reading all your posts.

Chele and Kate: I hope everything is getting better. Sending healing thoughts and hugs to you!

kittybug: How are you? Are your hip and throat better? Were you able to take some time to rest?

Yesterday, we did a Father's day lunch with my parents and my in-laws. It was nice to gather together again. The weather was gorgeous. After that, I wen t to see my nephew's baseball match and after that, it was my son's. It wasn't a very active day, workout-wise! At least, I went for a short walk in the morning!

Waves to all!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-21, 05:07 PM  
manleym

cataddict that's AWESOME that your health insurance reimbursed you for your Cathe Live subscription! Yay! I didn't even know or think that was an option so now I'm curious whether or not mine covers it.

Agree that HiiT Pyramid is a fav. I reached for that often when I needed a good cardio workout that was challenging but not "laying on the ground gasping for air" hard. Funny that you mention a Cathe Live rotation because I was thinking I wanted to look into a Live rotation last week once I'm finished with my hybrid. I'm sure there are some Live rotations on her Forum so I need to look at them. I might do a Live rotation with other instructors mixed in, just for a change of pace. Let me know what you're thinking about (when you decide).

Good point about the pandemic shutting down fishing trips last year so the fish had extra time to "be fruitful and multiply". HA! It worked! I also remember the canned pink salmon. My mom used to make salmon patties and I would smother them in ketchup. And who can forget Gorton's fish sticks??? I liked them! But there is absolutely no substitute for freshly caught fish. Hubby's twin brother's family of 5 does not like fish either. He's the only one (plus hubby's parents) who likes fish. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's too bad they don't like it since his twin catches fish almost every day.

kim have fun in Gettysburg! Can't wait to hear about it

Saturday was Flex Train (music only). Even with the music only, I could hear some of the lyrics in my head since I've done this workout so many times. I used heavier weights than Cathe, which I think is a first for me so yay! I this workout. It's just a good, well rounded metabolic workout.

The BEST part about Saturday is seeing my family, which I haven't seen in years! My youngest niece is due August 1st, and she looks great! Took pics with her and my oldest niece (her older sister) and my HEART IS HAPPY!! Since we don't have kids, I consider them "mine" and when they were younger we spent lots of time together. I tell them I love them like they were my own.

Today's workout was Imax 4 + Bonus Abs #2 + Extended Chair Stretch. My right hip flexor is hurting again, so back to the heating pad I go. I was going to add on Lauren's KBell challenge but decided it was best to wait. I noticed the last time it hurt like this I was doing Kettlebell and kickbox workouts. Well, that's what I was doing last week (Lauren's KBell challenge & Cathe's KBox), so I don't know which is causing the pain - KBell or KBoxing. Or it could have been a HiiT move. Who knows. I'm hoping it will feel better tomorrow because I have Athletic Training on the schedule. May just have to be flexible.

Hugs and waves everyone! Please pop in when you can!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 12:48 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hello dear friends!! So far this week has been great. No chaos, no bad news, no negative. Whew. And with any luck I'll get in all 5 days of workouts and Yoga. Missing workouts still makes me crazy even though I know I won't fall apart if I miss one.

Yesterday I started with Cathe's Body Blast Supersets. Just a really good basic workout. Lots of reps, and I liked the team as usual!
Yoga was Baron Baptiste's Soul of Strength which I found FREE on YouTube.

Today I did Cathe Live 120 Old School Cardio plus Kickboxing. Not her most thrilling cardio but actually pretty fun for me. I liked all the moves and just a big of high impact. I'm pretty happy with all the Live downloads that I bought so far.

Yoga pending but plan on the longer 75 min practice from Baron's Yoga Bootcamp Box. They are audio practices but good stuff.

cat: I think you must be getting stronger if those Cathe workouts are getting easier for you. Don't be afraid to go heavier!

Linda: Keep on keepin' on! Oh yes. I must keep forging ahead!

manley: first of all CONGRATS on the new grandbaby!! Being a grandma is unlike anything I've ever experienced. I love it! I just put those two Live workouts in my cart. Enabler!
And nice job on the fishing. Wow!!

Mickey: Have fun at Gettysburg! Amazing place!

lavna: Thank you (and everyone) for all the good wishes. My son has decided he is a warrior and is going to fight!

Hope you all have a great day!! Keep on keepin' on!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 07:43 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello Watulans!

So I finished the Cathe March rotation with my substitutions! Saturday I subbed Cathe Live #5 Cardio Leg Blast with High Step. It was tough! I used a comparable step height to the class but did some modifications. My barbell was a few pounds heavier than Cathe so no way was I doing the squat across the step holding it at their pace. This workout moved fast with no rest so I scrambled to change weight or start the next exercise. I rested on Sunday and Monday finished it off with Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp. This is a good solid workout.

manley, I did a quick search on Cathe's rotation forum and saw where someone asked if there was a Cathe Live rotation but there were no answers. So I am creating my own based on the types of workouts I did in the March rotation.

Today I started my Cat Live rotation with Cardio Core Circuit #144. Now I had a bit of dread since I find the Cardio Core Circuit DVD to be very, very hard, but I said I would give it the ol' Watulan try. I really, really, REALLY enjoyed it!! It was quite challenging but not puke-in-a-bucket hard, and had a nice mix of exercises. There were 5 rounds of 3 cardio exercises repeated once and a core exercise done one time. The cardio rounds used the loop and stability ball on several exercises, but except for the last round it would be very easy to sub a plain ol' playground ball for the stability ball. The core segments used the gliding disks. Anyhoo this is probably more than anyone wanted to know about this workout, but it is high on my list of favorite Lives at this point.

Kate, glad to read your update and that your week has been a great one. Heaven knows you need a break! Good for your son for being a warrior. And I'm with you on missing workouts. For me it's a constant and a part of a routine that I can rely on and feel comforted by. The mental benefits are definitely part of the picture along with the physical results and I know I am less stressed afterwards. Oh, and I do go heavier on some of the workouts, but not the ones that move fast. I think that Cathe could definitely go heavier if she was choosing her personal weights and not leading the class, but she may not want to intimidate participants who might get discouraged if they can't keep up with her.

manley and Kim, I asked the insurance company about whether streamed class membership fees would be reimbursed, otherwise I would never have known as it's not mentioned on the plan documents. DH and I also plan to re-join our local recreation center for some variety. The plan has a pretty generous yearly allowance so I have plenty of money left over in my "reimbursement bank" to cover that cost as well. And yes, it's great that they are paying for Cathe Live--it's a fantastic benefit.

manley, my mom made this salmon loaf with that canned salmon and it was just horrible. None of us kids would eat it, and my dad, who would eat anything except liver, couldn't yell enough to get us to take more than one bite. I never cared for fish sticks either (I think we ate Mrs. Paul's?) but I covered them in ketchup to make them palatable. There's such a difference when one has access to fresh fish!

Kim, enjoy Gettysburg! I know you will get back on track when you come home.

Nathalie, good to "see" you popping in! Glad you got to spend some time with family.

Waves to all!

Tags
watulan check-in