Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-21, 11:19 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think I might have tried the towel swing when I was learning KBs years ago. I certainly think it is something worth trying, but I also think that there are probably ways to make swings more comfortable for large thighs/larger bodies without having to do a beginner's exercise.
I don't think towel swings are just for beginners, Beth. I've been working out with kettlebells for at least 15 years, and I still do them every now and then. They're an excellent way to correct your form when you've been away from kettlebells for a while, when your lower back hurts, when you're looking for the best stance for you, etc.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 12:28 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I am also on day 5 of this challenge and I joined the facebook group. This has helped me get excited and kettlebells again.

Does anyone still do the RKS set? Are they available digitally? I'm thinking about dusting the dvd's off after this challenge.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 12:41 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
All this talk about stance width inspired me to measure mine. It's about 2 feet from slightly-turned-out to to slightly-turned-out toe. In case it matters, I'm about 5'4" and have long arms for my height.
I got out my yardstick and measured 24" from big toe to big toe, slightly turned out. I'm 5'4 1/2" but my height was 5'6" until a few years ago. That spine shrinking with age thing.
So my arms and legs still think I'm 5'6".
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 12:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Beth How about adjusting your rhythm or increasing your hip hinge? You might try recording yourself and see if that would help?
Linda, those are good ideas. I think I need to make sure to shove the 'ole booty back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I don't think towel swings are just for beginners, Beth. I've been working out with kettlebells for at least 15 years, and I still do them every now and then. They're an excellent way to correct your form when you've been away from kettlebells for a while, when your lower back hurts, when you're looking for the best stance for you, etc.
Messe, thank you for that perspective. I've had less lower back pain with this challenge, I think in part b/c the swings aren't all done in a row.

Does anyone know how long these videos will be available? I want to continue through next Wednesday at least (Thursday I go away for a short family visit).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 02:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Enjoyed Day 5. Did the 2-handed swings with my 20 lb! And then the one-handed swings with the 8 kg.

Last time I did one of these swing weeks, a VFer posted a list of the moves. I'll do that after day 7. Lauren will keep the videos up for a little while, but then they're taken down/disappear.

Found my printout of the listed moves. http://www.forum.videofitness.com/sh...d.php?t=227258
I had to laugh. I didn't remember that thread and I even posted on it!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 04:32 PM  
Vantreesta

Beth, I just reread the day 1 email and she said she will leave day 1 up for a week. I don't know if that means she will leave each day up for a week after they were posted or not.

Pie, I still have RKS but have only done a few of the workouts, never completed the set. I think I made a note saying "boring" on the all swings workout!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-18-21, 04:37 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I usually do the 1-handed and hand-to-hand swings with my lighter (8kg) KB, but I've been trying them with the heavier; it's doable if I stay lower.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 04:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post

Does anyone still do the RKS set? Are they available digitally? I'm thinking about dusting the dvd's off after this challenge.
I still have the DVDs, but don't know if they are available in another format. Funny, I've been thinking about this set, too (probably because of Lauren's Kettlebell Swing Challenge.)

I also still have the RKS kettlebells (pink, blue and yellow.)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 06:29 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I still have the DVDs, but don't know if they are available in another format. Funny, I've been thinking about this set, too (probably because of Lauren's Kettlebell Swing Challenge.)

I also still have the RKS kettlebells (pink, blue and yellow.)
Ooh, I never had the pretty RKS kettlebells! Lucky you!

Old 06-18-21, 06:39 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Linda, thanks so much for asking Lauren!

I think I might have tried the towel swing when I was learning KBs years ago. I certainly think it is something worth trying, but I also think that there are probably ways to make swings more comfortable for large thighs/larger bodies without having to do a beginner's exercise.

Jenilu, I might have lifting gloves around somewhere. I've never really felt comfortable using them, though; I feel like I have less confidence gripping weights when I can't feel them directly, if that makes sense.
I understand and I am kinda the same- kinda like the towel scenario is for me. Maybe a good salve for right after then??

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 swings, challenge, fitness challenge, kettlebell, kettlebell challenge, kettlebell swings, kettlebells, lauren brooks, on the edge fitness, summer 2021