Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-14, 11:29 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Keep in mind that in order to build muscle, you're going to have to eat enough to do so. I hope you can get help for your digestive problems.
Old 04-08-14, 12:18 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
The bigger plate would really help. I looked at a few local sports stores and they didn't have the big plates. I'll see if there is a CrossFit equipment store in my area. I'll check out Bodybuilding,com. I actually belong to HardGainer.com, but haven't visited there in years.
Check out http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bu...by-hi-temp.php

Scroll down a bit to find individual weight plate pairs - prices include shipping. These plates fit on the Oly style bars (fatter ends where the plates go on). All the plates are the same diameter, the heavier ones are thicker. I've ordered quite a bit from Rogue and they are AWESOME. Super fast shipping, super fast returns, just great all around. I love them.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 04:35 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
I can't get the video to work on my Mac. I'll try on my iPad.
Are you using Adblock Plus? If so, disable it for that page.

And ALWAYS use those hooks, until you're elbow is better!!!!!!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Check out http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bu...by-hi-temp.php

Scroll down a bit to find individual weight plate pairs - prices include shipping. These plates fit on the Oly style bars (fatter ends where the plates go on). All the plates are the same diameter, the heavier ones are thicker. I've ordered quite a bit from Rogue and they are AWESOME. Super fast shipping, super fast returns, just great all around. I love them.
Those look good! I'm going to find out if they take Paypal. ETA: They do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
And ALWAYS use those hooks, until you're elbow is better!!!!!!
Oddly enough, deadlifts and rows don't bother my arm. The worst offender is the hammer curl exercise. I avoid those. Regular biceps curls seem to be OK.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 11:52 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
So, my friends, (Sophie, are you there?), what exercises/workouts would you suggest to still build muscle while working around upper and lower body injuries?
I can't believe I missed this earlier as even the topic title has my name written all over it I'm sorry you're still having to deal with this.

I have more sympathy and empathy than suggestions, though. Working around injury is something I keep coming back to, in various forms. I don't have specific exercise suggestions, since you and I have different issues and limitations, so what works for me (like kettlebell swings) are disastrous for you.

However, I can comment on general approach. I've found I have to be really ready to change my plans according to how I feel and what I can identify as my weakest link that day/week/month.

For instance, I sprained my hamstring about two months ago and it is taking a long time to fully resolve. I gradually re-entered strength work by doing the early phases of Strong Curves using bodyweight only, then started adding weight. But pretty soon I realized I needed to progress more slowly, because my joints were hurting more than my muscles. I also realized that I needed more endurance work, in particular, one legged endurance work. And then I realized that people were commenting that I was still limping - so now I am adding in treadmill walking *at a slow, non-calorie burning pace* just to re-form my gait.

I don't know how useful this is to you. I guess it's just to emphasize that you have to be your own trainer in the sense that you have to identify your own weak links and take a detour from your original plan. For instance, I had Strong Curves/ Nia Shanks as my original plan - but I've had to divert from that in order to address issues that came up as I trained.

The other thought I have is that even if building muscle is the primary goal (as it is for me), I have to work on ancillary qualities, such as muscle endurance, connective tissue adaptation, and the dreaded accessory muscles (<= tongue in cheek) in order to support building strength and avoid further injury. So the path to the goal might not seem very direct, and I've had to take a very long view.

We're in this together, Alta! I wish I could help more, but this is all I can think of for now.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 11:59 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Finally, for you iffy knees: The New York Times posted a video with a routine to help stabilize knees (it was aimed at runners) a while back. Not sure if your hip will allow you to do any of them though.
Thanks for the video link Karen! It worked for me on a PC/Chrome browser. For those who can't see it, the exercises are:

body weight squat
split squat (or stationary lunge)
single leg squat (kind of like a dip without setting back foot down)
one legged step-up with a knee drive

I think that someone with iffy knees could also adapt this for use with some support, like a TRX type system while working up to it.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 12:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Karen, I got the link to work. Thanks!

I have Mike Robertson's Bulletproof Knees book and I have been doing some of the stuff he recommends: foam rolling, hip mobility, ankle mobility, static stretching. Plus, glute activation exercises. I need to add single leg lifts.

Hi Sophie! (I had thought that maybe you were sick of my whining.)

Sorry about the hamstring. Owwwiiieee!

I agree I have to be more flexible in my thinking than I used to be. I have to go by how my body is feeling as opposed to what is the plan for the day.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-09-14, 03:35 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Those look good! I'm going to find out if they take Paypal. ETA: They do.
Yes, they DO!!!!! I will warn you that the site is dangerous - the combo of the AWESOME stuff they carry and PayPal? I'm there WAY WAY WAY too often.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 01:17 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Naturally, I found an article where the writer feels that weighted hip thrusts (glute bridges) are bad:

http://www.rdlfitness.com/avoid-the-hip-thrust/

It is interesting to read different viewpoints!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-06-14, 09:12 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Naturally, I found an article where the writer feels that weighted hip thrusts (glute bridges) are bad:

http://www.rdlfitness.com/avoid-the-hip-thrust/

It is interesting to read different viewpoints!
Not into hip thrusts, but it occurs to me that another exercise that loads up the hips and spine without requiring knee flexion it the farmer's walk. It will stress your grip, just as DLs do, so you may need to use your hooks.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glute bridges, glute building, injuries, lean body mass, muscle building