Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-18, 08:56 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
WOW! LynnO & aspidistra. Great replies - bowing down-
Ha ha, I was in a hurry and just realized I sounded way too bossy. But, thanks.

And goodness, if someone has a tip on how to make sure your resume actually uploads into the auto system, please let me know. Although, I'm not actively looking right now.

I applied for one job they kept posting and removing, but I didn't even really get a response and I was at least qualified enough to get an acknowledgement. I uploaded into a different site where it auto populated requirements, and pretty much none of my resume actually showed up.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 09:55 AM  
Sidlynn

About 2 years ago I had to start interviewing after 15 years with one company because of the office relocating to several states away. The worst interview I went on had a behavioral aspect, but the company sent me a PDF with how to prepare for the interview - these are our core values, how do you embody them? Speak for 5 minutes on each with examples. I prepared a bit but was really freaked out by it. I had another offer but this job was 6 minutes from my house and would have been so convenient. I blew one question totally and was told I wasn't suitable because they were a very large company and my former place was very small, could be a difficult transition. A few months later, they closed that office and moved it to another state - my commute would have been about an hour! Dodged a bullet there.

Been at my current place almost 2 years and have been sending out some resumes with no results. Actually got an email last Friday to set up a 3 hour interview. No phone screening first, just a 3 hour interview. Whaaat? Previously, I always had at least one phone interview before in-person appointment. I confirmed the date/time offered through email and said I looked forward to further instructions. The instant reply, and I quote: "Just show up!" I have 3 weeks to freak out about this.

"This is good for us!" ~Gilad
Sidlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:00 AM  
donnamp

You know, I have to say, after reading this thread, I'm so relieved to be over the mid-point of my career and fairly settled with my employer! I don't intend to leave my employer as I have too many good benefits, accrued leave, etc. so any searching I do will be internal.

But, wow, this thread has opened my eyes to how times have changed so much and I really hope I don't have to ever "be out there" again. Sort of like dating, LOL!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:13 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

It's funny too, you never know how it's going from their perspective. I interviewed some years ago where like the original poster, I was uncomfortable from the moment the interview began and my original impression of what the job entailed was far from the truth. The interview was excruciating, asking me to solve problems on the spot, asking if X would work as a solution for Y and if not, why, etc. etc., and it was pretty obvious all of my answers were awkward and wrong.

I called them a day or so later to thank them for their time but to politely withdraw my candidacy, only to discover they were highly disappointed because I was their top consideration. Uh, really? I still withdrew and am certain that was the best thing for me.

The moral of the story is you just never know. Keep your chin up and good luck to you!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:20 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
It's funny too, you never know how it's going from their perspective. I interviewed some years ago where like the original poster, I was uncomfortable from the moment the interview began and my original impression of what the job entailed was far from the truth. The interview was excruciating, asking me to solve problems on the spot, asking if X would work as a solution for Y and if not, why, etc. etc., and it was pretty obvious all of my answers were awkward and wrong.

I called them a day or so later to thank them for their time but to politely withdraw my candidacy, only to discover they were highly disappointed because I was their top consideration. Uh, really? I still withdrew and am certain that was the best thing for me.

The moral of the story is you just never know. Keep your chin up and good luck to you!!
I think this is true - I remember one job interview I went on when I was pretty young and it was the first time I ever was interviewed by a panel and I thought I totally blew it and made a fool of myself - only to be offered the job! So you really never know.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:40 AM  
cindyw75

I have been interviewing for different departments of a county government. All of the interviews have been panel interviews with those awkward questions. Everyone of the interviews has had different questions. While I agree that practice helps, it really depends on the people you meet with. Some of these feel like I'm interviewing with jail wardens! So far 3/5 interviews have gone well. And one of them is already checking my references, and another one has offered a follow up. Fingers crossed that something good comes from this!
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:50 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Many hugs. It can be so difficult.

Personally, I really wish people would stop interviewing to fill a quota, especially if they have someone internal they want to promote.
When I saw this I knew you were interviewing for Government lol! I feel the same. Just don't waste my time! And how about those job announcements that are only open for 24 hours? Why even bother posting; just hire your buddy. I know BY LAW they have to post, but really, we're grown ups. I would rather know you are hiring your friend that to spend 6 hours driving, hyping myself up for the interview, feeling the let-down when I don't get it, etc.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote