Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-21, 01:54 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Can't find this item lately. And I notice price-gouging...

I didn't want to put the name of the item in the heading of my post as it might make things worse. There are a few articles mentioning it online.

I am having a hard time finding soy milk - anywhere! I've looked in several local stores (Trader Joe's, Walmart, Stater Brothers, etc.) and there is not much to be found. In the cold section or in the shelf-stable section.

I ordered some Silk at a good price from Amazon last week, but checked it again today and it is not available. Some of the prices now on Amazon are 4x the usual plus shipping.

Has anyone else noticed this? I hope it is just temporary as regular milk and most other milk-substitutes make me gag.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 02:00 PM  
Erica H.

I haven't had a problem but we don't go through much of it.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 02:10 PM  
buffmama

I noticed a while ago that the other plant based milks seem to have more shelf space. I did have trouble at one point but only tried to get it once. I had trouble finding split peas at one time - cause everyone staying one was making those Doubtful.
Old 06-22-21, 02:21 PM  
difit

I just came from Walmart and one my local grocery stores. The shelves were of full of plant base milk. Including my brand of soy milk. Same price I usually get.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 03:22 PM  
Hsim

I bought some of this about a week ago. I never used it before but wanted to try making smoothies in my blender. I shop at Safeway and had no trouble finding it on the shelves.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 03:27 PM  
kat999

I have actually had a little trouble finding Silk and store brand versions lately, too. My husband can't have too much dairy, but he's also very slightly allergic to almonds, so I always try to get soy. :/
Old 06-22-21, 07:10 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I didn't want to put the name of the item in the heading of my post as it might make things worse. There are a few articles mentioning it online.

I am having a hard time finding soy milk - anywhere! I've looked in several local stores (Trader Joe's, Walmart, Stater Brothers, etc.) and there is not much to be found. In the cold section or in the shelf-stable section.

I ordered some Silk at a good price from Amazon last week, but checked it again today and it is not available. Some of the prices now on Amazon are 4x the usual plus shipping.

Has anyone else noticed this? I hope it is just temporary as regular milk and most other milk-substitutes make me gag.
I noticed a soy milk shortage but it was like a year or two ago. I would have to go to two or three stores sometimes to find it and then when I did find it, I would buy at least 3 or 4 half gallons at a time if possible (though I always left one behind for the person after me). I felt terrible about buying so many at one time during the shortage but I was never sure when I would come across it again. I'm pretty sure Silk discontinued their "Light" soy milk around the same time as the shortage I experienced in my area.

For at least the past 6 months or so though, the refrigerated Silk soy milk has been well-stocked at Target, Jewel, Mariano's, and Woodman's. (Though Target is giving it less shelf space.)

BTW, so glad we now have a Woodman's right by where I live...it has ALL THE THINGS!!! We no longer have to go to the Asian grocery for one-off things. Plus it's got the taco sauce I like that's normally just distributed in the SW states. It's got the toilet paper I like and unsalted top saltines and my favorite brand of vegetarian refried beans (the Target by me stopped carrying these things...actually think Target never carried the toilet paper). And the cheese aisle is crazy. They also just put in a dozen Tesla charging stations on the side since it's Teslas galore around here. If only Woodman's weren't so huge. Pretty sure it's bigger than a Sam's Club or Costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I noticed a while ago that the other plant based milks seem to have more shelf space. I did have trouble at one point but only tried to get it once.
I've noticed the same trend regarding the shrinking shelf and refrigerator space given to soy milk.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 07:15 PM  
ellaenchanted

I have noticed that the big thing now is oat milk and there are a few different btands for sale. I don't buy so milk but I have noticed less of it carried in stores now. Almond was really big and then other nut milks. Sorry you have been having trouble getting the soy.

Everything has gone up in price and it has been a bit startling. Rice, beans, lentils were always cheap pantry staples an dI was surprised at how much the cost lately.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 08:17 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I noticed a soy milk shortage but it was like a year or two ago. I would have to go to two or three stores sometimes to find it and then when I did find it, I would buy at least 3 or 4 half gallons at a time if possible (though I always left one behind for the person after me). I felt terrible about buying so many at one time during the shortage but I was never sure when I would come across it again. I'm pretty sure Silk discontinued their "Light" soy milk around the same time as the shortage I experienced in my area.

For at least the past 6 months or so though, the refrigerated Silk soy milk has been well-stocked at Target, Jewel, Mariano's, and Woodman's. (Though Target is giving it less shelf space.)

BTW, so glad we now have a Woodman's right by where I live...it has ALL THE THINGS!!! We no longer have to go to the Asian grocery for one-off things. Plus it's got the taco sauce I like that's normally just distributed in the SW states. It's got the toilet paper I like and unsalted top saltines and my favorite brand of vegetarian refried beans (the Target by me stopped carrying these things...actually think Target never carried the toilet paper). And the cheese aisle is crazy. They also just put in a dozen Tesla charging stations on the side since it's Teslas galore around here. If only Woodman's weren't so huge. Pretty sure it's bigger than a Sam's Club or Costco.

I've noticed the same trend regarding the shrinking shelf and refrigerator space given to soy milk.
There is a Woodman's by me as well. They have really increased the varieties of their products. I am finding so much more there.
Old 06-23-21, 09:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Maybe it is a temporary regional thing???

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soy milk