Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-23, 01:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation Osteoporosis Medications: Experiences and Opinions?

For those of you who have tried one (or more) of the assorted osteoporosis medications, what are your experiences and opinions?

The reviews of pretty much ALL of them look so scary.

If you don't feel comfortable posting, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 02:23 PM  
warriorprincess

It's so hard to separate the pseudoscience from the real science. I'm interested too. My last results had me back in the osteoporosis range. I seem destined for medication. My doctor recently tried to get me approved for the twice a year shot, but my insurance declined it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 02:27 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Following. Thanks for starting this topic, Alta.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 02:51 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had good results rebuilding bone when using low-dose estrogen patches plus progesterone pills. I had no side effects at all from the patches. But, they don't want to prescribe them for someone over the age of 65 as the estrogen may cause blood clots.

Yet, they WILL prescribe Evista. Which has the possible side effect of causing blood clots.

WTH?????

And, don't get me started on insurance companies!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-31-23, 03:13 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I've had two infusions of Reclast. Before I had the first infusion I took the pills they gave me. I don't remember what they were. I was sick for weeks after taking just one pill. I couldn't eat. I had no appetite. I was sooooo tired, all I wanted to do was close my eyes. I believe I got diverticulitis from those pills. I had such a bad summer of 2021. The first infusion I had left me in severe paid for 8 hours or so. My bones hurt. Especially my ankles, legs and neck. The second infustion was much better and I was in pain for just a few hours.
I'm due back in July for my third infusion and I'll be able to get a bone density test. Wonder how things will look. I feel so stupid how things went at first. Never in my life have I felt so sick for such a long period of time. I should have researched the treatments before just taking pills because a Doctor told me to. They didn't even prepare me for any bad side effects.
Good luck and do your research
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 03:55 PM  
warriorprincess

If you're down for some heavy reading, this is a good reference describing the current medical consensus on osteoporosis treatments:

https://www.menopause.org/docs/defau...-statement.pdf

I also had great results with BHRT when I was first diagnosed at age 48, but mine was not low dose, and I eventually stopped it because of stupidly heavy bleeding. But for 14 years, I was out of the osteoporosis range.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 09:15 PM  
trimgal

Fosamax

I had my first and only bone density test when I turned 65, two years ago. I started Fosamax (Aendronate) then. I take it once a week on an empty stomach. Don't notice any side effects. I am supposed to take it for 3-5 years and than take a "holiday" from it for awhile.
I will be interested to see if it has built any bone or made improvement.
I also take vit D and calcium but have heard conflicting theories on that.
I have exercised forever and lifted weights so I was surprised to see that I had osteoporosis.
trimgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 10:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Schnauzeritis I'm so sorry you suffered like that. I hope your scan results will be worth it.

The orthopedist group I see and my rheumatologist have been firmly hinting about starting on these drugs but I'm just too scared, and I'm in osteopenia so don't want to push it too soon. My GP has a gentler approach and we're keeping an eye on my DEXA scans without her pushing drugs. In the meanwhile I work on my balance a lot and take the recommended supps. I didn't drink a lot, but a couple years ago I fully quit even social drinking, so have quit both alcohol and soft drinks. Hopefully that helps.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 01:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Schnauzeritis - So sorry you have gone through that! Doctors often don't mention side effects. Sometimes you can get more helpful information from the pharmacist who dispenses a medication.

I have a friend who took Actonel for years with zero side effects. She does have an iron stomach. I don't have an iron stomach.

Nancy - Thanks! I will check out that article.

I also plan to re-read two books I have found helpful:

The Myth of Osteoporosis: What every woman needs to know about creating bone health by Gillian Sanson (2015 Version)

Estrogen Matters: Why Taking Hormones in Menopause Can Improve Women's Well-Being and Lengthen Their Lives -- Without Raising the Risk of Breast Cancer

The latter book goes in to detail about how flawed the HERS study was.

Pat - I have an appointment with a rheumatologist. I don't think she will care for my attitude.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-01-23, 01:44 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Vintage VFer, I highly recommend seeing a metabolic bone disorder expert for evaluation, if you haven't already. Dr. Paul Miller in Colorado became my doctor for a time. I have a mild form of hypophosphatasia in which bisphosphonates are contraindicated, and unfortunately, my family doctor scared me into thinking my hips were going to break and prescribed Reclast, which for me was very harmful. A metabolic bone expert will look at the whole picture, not just your bone density scans, which some studies say are flawed anyway. After meeting with Dr. Miller and a full workup, he said I didn't need treatment for my low density, even though on paper my numbers don't look great. I eventually did take an Estrogen patch and Progesterone until my body no longer tolerated them. I've never fractured, and even though my bones are thin from hypophosphatasia, I feel they may be quite strong.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bisphosphonates, bone density, bone loss, dexa, osteopenia, osteoporosis, osteoporosis meds, vibration, vibration machine