Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-09, 07:17 AM  
gigi

The Firm is how I started with any form of weights and I watched their video that explains everything and it made sense. Then I discovered Cathe! Then VF! And my weight lifting saga continues.
Old 05-28-09, 07:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm going to date myself ... was 17 and doing a secretarial work study in Manhattan after high school. There was a Jack LaLanne health club nearby so I joined - it was a trip! There were big rotating roller thingies that the women would drape themselves over - theoretically to break up cellulite. They even had the hip shakey machines with the belts. That was a vision I'll never forget, a row of women lined up in those things. But there were also several Universal cable machines with all the attachments and some very old school weight machines. The exercise classes were taught by slender women in ballet gear who walked around the gym in high heels!

My how times have changed.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 07:53 AM  
Kimberly33

Circuit training in college

Actually, my HS gym class was pretty cool--she tried to expose us to all aspects of fitness, including weights. I was so burnt out from Jr. High gym class (run 2 miles in x mins=A, x+y=B, x+z=C, walk=D, don't finish=F--> with no training, just the "test") that I couldn't appreciate it. So I guess that was my first introduction.

My first exposure that "took" was with a weight circuit in college (late 80s)--based on the same research as the Firm. You had to sign up at the beginning of the semester and attend a workshop where they tested your flexibility, 1 rep max, you would do a step test and they would record how quickly your heart recovered, and they would test body fat. You had the option of doing this again at the end of the semester.

Once you did this, you could use the circuit gyms, which had an area with cardio machines for warm up and cool down, and then a 20-minute circuit that alternated between 30-seconds of an exercise bike and weight machines. I would usually do 2 circuits. It was great.

My first *video* exposure was the Firm.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 07:54 AM  
DRD0

The HS track coach wanted us lifting, but in the 70's girls did not lift, so the weights were in the guys lockerroom. So twice a week she had to get the men's coach to clear out the lockerroom so we could go in and lift, and it stunk!

After that I did not really get into lifting until age 21, when my DH wanted to put on weight because he was too skinny. I did not want to do it, thinking I would be the only woman in there(I was), but went to the gym with him.....and fell in love with it.

I started lifting at home when DD was a toddler and very sick. The gym playroom was a terrible place for a child with a chronic illness, so to protect her, I searched out alternate means of working out. Did my own aerobic routines, mixing my own music, built up my weight equipment, and then found videos, first Firm, then through VF, found Cathe, CIA and other instructors. That was 14 years ago, but have been lifting continually for 37 years.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:37 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm going to date myself ... was 17 and doing a secretarial work study in Manhattan after high school. There was a Jack LaLanne health club nearby so I joined - it was a trip! There were big rotating roller thingies that the women would drape themselves over - theoretically to break up cellulite. They even had the hip shakey machines with the belts. That was a vision I'll never forget, a row of women lined up in those things. But there were also several Universal cable machines with all the attachments and some very old school weight machines. The exercise classes were taught by slender women in ballet gear who walked around the gym in high heels!

My how times have changed.
Bwuahahahaha!!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:59 AM  
Kyra

Back in - gosh, the mid 70's, () I was inspired by Martina Navratilova to take up weights. I bought a set of dbs and they came with a simple book on weight training, including a basic program. Not knowing much else at the time, I just followed the program, which IIRC was pretty well balanced.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 12:02 PM  
jessicavi

I think I did some weights in HS in the boys locker room as some have said. But I vaguely remember it.

FF to the early 90's.....(In movie trailer voice) It was best of times...It was the worst of times.

I was trying to find something to get in shape after kids while trying to figure out my workout personality. So, I happened upon some vids and rented them from Blockbuster. In fact, they were just about the only vids there or anywhere (besides Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith who I was not feelin') as far as I remember and I absolutely fell for them....."Welcome to The FIRM." (FIRM anouncer voiceover).

I had a new family, no job, very little food, and even less money. But I wanted to get fit and like Gigi said the "20 Minutes about Fitness" made total sense. So, I copied V1-3 and returned the originals. Since I didn't have any weights and soup cans were a joke, I used encyclopedias as weights. I also stacked them up to make a high step. Completely awkward, but increased my grip strength and I got into the best shape of my life ever and have not been that small since....yet. More money and food, ya think?

I just started a 2wk classic rotation and I got to thinking how far I've come since my encyclopedia days (to owning 2 kbells now). Thank you Jesus!
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 12:25 PM  
Sollamyn

It was the summer of 1978. I was between Freshman and Sophomore years in college. I took a weight lifting class for a P.E. credit. Our university had a new Recreation Center at that time, close to where I was living, so it was very convenient. Plus, my instructor (a graduate student, no doubt) was so...um...hot! He had great muscles--not bulky, just well-defined, sculpted...you know. He inspired me to complete the course and then I used the Rec from time to time, but mostly started working out on my own with dumbbells that I purchased (3.3 lbs and 6.6 lbs--is that 1.5 and 3 kilos? I can't remember.). My first 'real' home workout was, of course, the Firm Vol. 1, which I purchased when it first debuted in VHS for $50.00!

Donna
Old 05-28-09, 12:55 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I had taken a few aerobics classes with my best friend, but never lost any weight. Could have been because we went out to lunch after every class! But, we had fun!

FF a few years & I was trying home exercise. Tried Jane Fonda first. Went to the video store & brought home a variety of workouts, Do It Debbie's Way, with Debbie Reynolds, a Bubba Smith workout & The Firm Volume 1. I promptly ordered Volume 1 & every one of the classics, pre-ordering & waiting impatiently.

Had a family gym membership for a while & I was so happy when my sons would ask me to go with them, since I lifted & the hubby didn't. Great mother/son bonding.

Found VF and went on to MIS with Cathe and never looked back. I lurve lifting weights! It keeps me young & strong & really helps with all the functional fitness dh & I are doing these days.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 01:17 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
I think I did some weights in HS in the boys locker room as some have said. But I vaguely remember it.

FF to the early 90's.....(In movie trailer voice) It was best of times...It was the worst of times.

I was trying to find something to get in shape after kids while trying to figure out my workout personality. So, I happened upon some vids and rented them from Blockbuster. In fact, they were just about the only vids there or anywhere (besides Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith who I was not feelin') as far as I remember and I absolutely fell for them....."Welcome to The FIRM." (FIRM anouncer voiceover).

I had a new family, no job, very little food, and even less money. But I wanted to get fit and like Gigi said the "20 Minutes about Fitness" made total sense. So, I copied V1-3 and returned the originals. Since I didn't have any weights and soup cans were a joke, I used encyclopedias as weights stacked them up to make a step. Completely awkward, but increased my grip strength and I got into the best shape of my life ever and have not been that small since....yet. More money and food, ya think?

I just started a 2wk classic rotation and I got to thinking how far I've come since my encyclopedia days (to owning 2 kbells now). Thank you Jesus!
I SO enjoyed reading this!

Tags
first workout, first workouts