Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-11, 02:46 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

Original Firm Boxes and Paint Fumes

I spent today painting my 14" and 8" Firm boxes that I got through the Firm catalog back in the 90s. It got me thinking how the Firm has changed from minimal equipment which could be found anywhere to the kits of the present day. The only reason I was painting the boxes was for a decor change. They both can sit out because they aren't ugly plastic. Neither box has any kind of wear on it after all these years. They are so sturdy. The Firm under Anna was so innovative. So this is what was going through my head as I painted. I think the paint fumes got to me.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 02:57 PM  
PhyllisG

I haven't painted mine but use them in the pantry and my closet. They are in the exact same condition as the day I bought them and I used them for years doing the Firm workouts. They are really solid and have lasted for I don't know how many years.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 04:08 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I still have one too, it has a water stain on it but other than that it's in good shape! I used it for quite a while before I invested in the Firm Box, Transfirmer, then finally High Step.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 04:36 PM  
JustSandra

I still have my original Firm Box too! I've had it at least 20 years.

It had a long life as an exercise prop. When I stopped doing step-ups on it (due to cranky knees) I still used it as a seat and painted it to match my workout room decor.

At one point when I painted my condo (an off-and-on project lasting a couple of years), I always found myself using the Firm Box rather than my ladder, because it was so sturdy and simple to move about. A friend of mine who cleaned houses professionally even asked about it!

Its next life was as a chair-side table in my living room, again repainted. I paired it with another small, slightly higher table and the effect was nice.

A few years ago I set up a small dressing table in my bedroom and needed a seat. The Firm Box to the rescue again! That's where it is now, and of course it is still handy to stand on when I need to reach something on the top shelf of my bedroom closet.

The Firm Box is probably one of the best things I ever bought, period.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 05:15 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

Oh I haven't used mine as an exercise step in a while! It does kinda make me wish I had bought the 6" step. I use mine as a plant stand/small side table now. My plastic FL is at the foot of my bed for my cat. He should have a nicer step.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 05:31 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Waaaaay back when, I was too cheap to buy a Firm box so had my husband (a carpenter) copy the exact design and make - and decorate with watercolors - our own 'Firm' box. It's 7" tall and I love it and still use it today. (You can see it under my profile.)

I used a step stool for the tall box but even that was a little too high for me. Now I use the High Step (at 12") but I *still* love using my wooden 7" box for Firm step cardio.

And yes, I agree that the original Firm equipment was built to last. I've begun using classic Firms again and am already getting compliments!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 05:53 PM  
thelmaloo

i still have my 10 inch box i got with volume 4 ! It has held up beautifully and I am still using it !
thelmaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 06:13 PM  
pgun3

I still have my 14" box. Has a water mark for when I was younger and used it as a sometimes end table by my bed. But in great condition just like when I bought it!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 08:37 PM  
Carol K

I have them in 6", 10" and 12". The 10" has water stains all over it and paint stains too. The 12" is made out of a completely different material than the other two, particle board rather than plywood. It got black around the edges and very dirty looking pretty quickly. They are all used as step stools for one purpose or another.
Old 10-01-11, 09:10 PM  
Darisa

I would LOVE a Firm 14 in box!
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote