Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-21, 02:16 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Alta helpfully linked in the other Chalene thread to this VF thread from early 2019 but I thought I'd repost it here too in case anyone missed it (again, from early 2019, when Chalene was apparently selling/promoting a book):

Chalene Johnson was told to lose weight

Link to the 2019 youtube video Chalene did to promote the book:
https://youtu.be/acg2grvQ0ww
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 07:00 AM  
jackie7

Done
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 07:31 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Well, I can tell she has ADHD. She seemed like she was in overdrive to me. I have been curious about PiYo, but haven't bitten yet. The informercial is still on so BB is still making money from her videos,
Old 07-30-21, 08:10 AM  
donellda

I certified as Turbo Kick and a PiYo instructor several years ago. I went to Camp Turbo Kick 2 years in a row. The first year was so much fun. We worked out, had lectures by people like Jay Blalock, competed in teams and watched demos from dance crews. I made so many friends that I still keep in touch with. The next year there was an obvious BeachBody presence that was not there the previous year. BB had released Turbo Jam a few years before that but now there was presentations by BB. Soon after that, it seemed that BB took over and we were not paying Powder Blue for rounds but BB. I think she made a huge mistake aligning herself with BB. Their commercial version of PiYo was nothing like the PiYo rounds taught in the gyms. I eventually stopped receiving my rounds because I did not want my money to go to BB.

I have met Chalene twice and she seemed genuinely nice. She remembered me the second time I met her. I have not listened to her podcasts. I think I was just disappointed that BB just took over her whole enterprise.
Old 07-30-21, 11:06 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The informercial is still on so BB is still making money from her videos,
PiYo seems to be the only workout infomercial that's on anymore.

I read her book Push many years ago and listened to some of the podcasts but she's not really my cup of tea, despite enjoying the Turbo Jam workouts.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
How are they getting confused. ? Same lady they are talking about right? The Piyo lady?
yes, the first name was misspelled but has since been corrected in this thread.

yes you're correct. Chalene Johnson is the creator of PiYo, both the original version and the beachbody version, "original" meaning the series she created prior to joining beachbody, with the same name. she also posted a video about why she left beachbody. all the same person, Chalene Johnson. systems she created under the beachbody company:

Turbo Jam*
CLX or Chalean Extreme (first word is a play on her real name "chalene")
Turbo Fire
PiYo

*before she joined beachbody, she had created Turbo Kick, a similar series

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:14 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Are you saying there are two different Piyo out there?

I didn’t know. I do know it was/ is her creation.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 12:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Are you saying there are two different Piyo out there?

I didn’t know. I do know it was/ is her creation.
yes - pre-beachbody PiYo was produced by "Powder Blue" and usually has the word "lesson" in the title, like "PiYo Lesson 24".

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 01:11 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I didn’t know. You guys are like video encyclopedia. Amazing. Thank you

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:50 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I stumbled across a really interesting thread about Beachbody on the antiMLM subreddit on Reddit. I tried finding it but wasn't successful. If I do I'll definitely post it here.

Someone in a comment linked to another person's long blog post about her experience in a Beachbody infomercial. The person was not a background exerciser. She was one of the 'home exercisers' who did the program and talked about how great it was.

I am sure this will not come as a surprise to anyone here, but bottom line--it is not possible to get the results you see in BB's infomercials if you follow the eating plan. The person who wrote the blog post said that she and a few other people who could not get down to a weight level that BB found acceptable even after doing the whole program were given access to BB's gym facilities for extra workouts, and their calories were very strictly controlled--less than 1000 calories a day, IIRC.

The woman also said that in the before photo, she was not allowed to wear her own workout clothing. Instead, she was given a workout bra and shorts that were too small, which made her look way more bulge-y than she actually was. Not to mention unflattering camera angles, etc.

You get the picture--the whole thing is rigged. BB is very careful to say 'results not typical', but it's very misleading. Many BB workouts are great, but the whole business model really stinks.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, chalene johnson, instructors, instructors appearance, piyo, powder blue