Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-21, 06:56 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

OT: Can I Whine For A Minute?

I haven't worked out in 3 weeks. I know I need to but I'm exhausted. A great niece (10) and nephew (17) have been placed with me and my husband through child protection services. Their mom (niece) is a mess and a lousy mother. The nephew called us on a Friday night st 11:00 asking if we would come get them, their mom was taken to jail for domestic violence against her current husband who is not the father of either of them.

Anyway, I'm so out of my routine and just want to stay in bed with the covers over my head. The kids are a challenge, both see therapists, the 17 year old tried to take his life back in May and the niece revealed to her therapist 2 weeks ago that she's been sexually abused by her step brother at her dad's house.

I don't want them to go to foster care and will do everything to prevent it but I'm so not equipped for this.

Thanks for listening.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:40 AM  
Erica H.

Oh, Annette, that is a LOT to take on. Two troubled kids displaced from traumatic situations. I can't even imagine. Please vent as much as you need to and I hope there are resources locally that can help. Big hugs to you and I'm sorry for these poor kids. That is heartbreaking and it is so kind and generous of you to take them in and try to help. No wonder you're exhausted.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:41 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Hugs to you; that's a lot to take on. I hope you have the support you need. If I were in your situation, the last thing I'd be worried about is workouts.

Take care of yourself.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this sad and stressful situation for you. That's wonderful of you to take your great-niece and nephew in but it must be extremely difficult to have your life disrupted in this way. They are going through extraordinary trauma in their lives and that's never easy to deal with. I think you too may need some therapy or guidance from a professional to help you get through this and to better help them. I'll be praying for strength and peace for all of you !
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:51 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

(((HUGS))) you are an angel! It's a huge life changing situation. Workouts aren't the top things on your to do list, but as you're adjusting, you'll eventually will put it back on your schedule. Hang in there!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:56 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

What a tough and awful situation all around. Sending prayers to you for encouragement and strength.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 08:16 AM  
Izzy

I admire you for being so strong during all of this. This challenge is a testament to your character and love for others. Otherwise, those kids would not have been placed in your care. No doubt this a very difficult time for everyone. Meanwhile, you need support too. Feel free to seek it out either here or through friends, family or professional. To take care of those kids, you need to take care of yourself as well.
Old 07-16-21, 08:21 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Annette, your great-niece and nephew are lucky to have you! I feel for you. I'm sure this is stressful. Be gentle with yourself. You are doing the best you can.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 08:46 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

hugs. LOTS of virtual hugs. This is a lot - for you all, and of course it's upsetting.
I hope it all works out.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 08:47 AM  
TracyQ

Annette—I am very sorry that you have to deal with all this.

I am also dealing with a very stressful situation caring for two elderly relatives (one with Alzheimers). I have always been a very regimented person. I’ve enjoyed my morning workouts for three-decades. I retired in November and this was going to be my first summer off. I had big plans. But the universe had other plans.

I miss my sleep and morning workouts.

I didn’t mean to make his about me but wanted you to know that even though our situations are very different I understand how it feels to have your life derailed.

Hugs.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foster care, off-topic