Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-21, 11:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

How exciting! Please come back and post and tell us how it went!

VF cheers to you !!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 07:40 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Thanks for that Bzar. That was interesting about the sleep 2 nights before the race. I'll have to keep that in mind and take some melatonin that night so I sleep like a baby.

I've gotten advice from my friend too regarding eating a good breakfast and carb loading the day before. I thanked her, but I won't be doing that. I don't eat breakfast, except coffee and I try to eat low carb most of the time. That moring I'll probably only have one cup since I don't want to have to pee while running..
I agree that sleep 2 nights before a race is more important than the night before. I usually never sleep well the night before a race, due to a combination of nerves/excitement/anticipation, and as long as I have slept well during the week, I am fine.

I think you are making a smart decision about ignoring your friend's advice to carb load for breakfast. Stick with your usual routine - that is not the day to be trying something new. You definitely do not want a new combination of foods jostling around your stomach while running hard, and what you eat an hour before your race is not going improve the outcome. Same with water intake. It is staying well hydrated in the days before a race that matters, not drinking gallons of water that morning.

Good luck and have fun. I can't wait to get back to in-person racing. All the races here are still virtual at least to the end of the year.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 09:28 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
How exciting! Please come back and post and tell us how it went!

VF cheers to you !!
Thanks for the encouragement.

As expected, I slept crappy last night. Luckily it was a beautiful day today. I had a cup of coffee and headed out. I started out too 'bouncy' and had to remember to stride forward instead of upward. My running shorts kept inching down and I thought, oh crap....this is going to be an issue. However, after I stopped 'bouncing', the shorts weren't an issue after that. Also, once I started breaking a sweat, the shorts kinda sealed in place.

I really really really wanted to take 1st place for my age range. There was a lady ahead of me that I had a target on. I thought I would need to beat her in order to take 1st. I tried, but I couldn't do it. I found out later she trains for this run a lot. So, I don't feel so bad.....I didn't train at all.

She came in at 31:00 and I came in at 31:12, so I was pretty happy with that. If I run it next year, I'll do a bit of training first, so that I can judge where the best place to hit the gas is. Maybe I'm too competitive for my own good. Anyways, it went great and I'm happy with how I did. I think I'm gonna be sore today, but I think it was worth it.

I just wanted to thank all of you for the replies, information, and encouragement. I hope anyone else who is in the same situation as I was, decides to go ahead and go for it. I'm feeling pretty good right now about the whole experience.
Old 07-17-21, 09:51 AM  
kat999

Congratulations! That is honestly a fantastic end time!
Old 07-18-21, 11:01 PM  
angie_nrs

Thanks Kat. I'm pretty proud of myself for just going for it. It's amazing what one can do when feeling pushed, even if I was the only one pushing. I doubt anyone else would have cared what my time was.

I am very sore today! The DOMS have my legs feeling like jello. I had a hard time sitting on the potty this morning b/c my quads didn't want to work. The dogs got a shorter walk than normal today too. Although, I don't think I flared up my PF, which I'm very happy about.

I'll definitely train the next time and have a better pair of shoes and shorts ready to go as well.
Old 07-19-21, 12:59 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I came in at 31:12, so I was pretty happy with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Congratulations! That is honestly a fantastic end time!
i agree!!! i did the math, and that's equivalent to 5.97 MPH! unless someone else corrects me, that is lightning speed! i don't think i could ever run that fast.

Quote:
Thanks Kat. I'm pretty proud of myself for just going for it. It's amazing what one can do when feeling pushed, even if I was the only one pushing. I doubt anyone else would have cared what my time was.

I am very sore today! The DOMS have my legs feeling like jello. I had a hard time sitting on the potty this morning b/c my quads didn't want to work. The dogs got a shorter walk than normal today too. Although, I don't think I flared up my PF, which I'm very happy about.

I'll definitely train the next time and have a better pair of shoes and shorts ready to go as well.
was the route flat or hilly? either way, i stand by my laudatory remarks.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 06:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Nvm. Too early for me to be doing math. lol

ETA -- Congratulations!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 11:41 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Congrats!! That is an awesome finish!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-21, 09:28 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
was the route flat or hilly?
Thanks all!

There was only one hill toward the beginning of the coarse and it was on pavement so it was easier to deal with. Then I got the benefit of the downhill part of that on gravel. Otherwise it was a pretty flat trail. It was a nicely packed recreation trail too. Plus, the weather couldn't have been better. It was nice and cool but not cold.

Today i'm still on the mend, but much better. I didn't do a workout yesterday b/c of the wicked DOMS. I'm gonna do something today, just not sure what.

Yeah, my brain wanted to catch that woman ahead of me. My eyes were targeted on her and the adrenaline was focused on that goal, despite what my body was saying. If not for her, I doubt my time would have been what it was. I wanted that 1st place finish so bad! LOL! Oh well, she deserved it. And, she can also take credit for my time. There were only 3 ladies signed up in my age range, but I think we did pretty good, even compared to the younger group. I didn't really pay much attention to the other times, although I came in 24th out of the 39 that were signed up.
Old 07-20-21, 10:00 AM  
gladgirl

Congratulations...that is amazing time! And even more so, if you did not train!
You have some amazin genes!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5k training, running