Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-21, 03:11 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Another exercise I find very therapeutic, is Pilates on a reformer. It is very relaxing and meditative in it's own way. I wish I still had my reformer, but I've moved (out of state) multiple times so didn't bring it with me. I've since purchased a Total Gym and find it very easy on the joints and relaxing with strength training, Pilates, Cardio, etc. I think because you're strengthening and stretching the muscles at the same time with cables.

I also find working with bands a gentle way to exercise, as it also lengthens, strengthens and stretches.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 04:26 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Lee Holden for sure.

I also benefit from Jane Adams' Gentle Yoga DVD. All of the practices on there make my back feel better. There's a floor routine I wouldn't exactly call gentle, it works the core good. Some of the standing poses are demonstrated with a chair, and they're the only chair routines I've ever found to be beneficial.

On YouTube I use Sarah Beth Yoga's Deep Stretch Series often. They help a lot with my back pain and are very relaxing and enjoyable.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 06:40 PM  
Leonana

I like the you tube channel, AskDrJo. She’s a PT and doctor of PT.
Old 07-02-21, 07:57 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I like the you tube channel, AskDrJo. She’s a PT and doctor of PT.
She had some great exercises for problem knees on YouTube. I looked just briefly at her website and I think there was a lot more there and some were free.
Old 07-03-21, 10:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thought of a few more - they're oldies but goodies. Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball workouts (Gaiam).
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:56 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

In terms of preventing back pain, I find that not doing march in front of the tv type workouts (Jessica Smith, Leslie, etc.) helps. Not sure why those bother my back, but apparently they do.

Also, for me, maintaining good posture as a matter of habit has stopped the back pain I'd thought was a permanent part of life. I've trained myself to sit upright when stitching. I'd guess it's something to do with keeping the core strong and engaged, but don't know for sure.
I think those types of workouts tend to be hard on the hip flexors and the tight hip flexors result in back pain since it pulls your back under into a "tuck". At least that is my theory - sitting is also hard on the hip flexors.

I do think that long term focusing on posture and re-training certain habits (like slouching, crossing your legs, leaning off to one side, etc.) can go a long way towards keeping pain away.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 12:18 PM  
TracyQ

I haven’t done the workouts in years but Fitness Fix was popular around here many years ago. The instructor is a personal trainer and an exercise physiologist.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Fix-B...5332482&sr=8-2

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 06:36 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thought of a few more - they're oldies but goodies. Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball workouts (Gaiam).
I agree with Pat, these are good. I also like CS Aging Backwards: Posture & Pain Relief, it got rid of a knee pain I had, when the workout was done, the pain was gone. P90X2 Foam Roller wo, Trudie Styler's Cardio Dance Flow including bonus foam roller workout and Core Strength Pilates which has lot of stretching throughout the workout, Madeleine Lewis' A.M. & P.M. Stretch, I also find Lastic 1 very terapheutic.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:12 PM  
Tugger31

For a long time it has been Cathe's Stretch Max routine #3 with the resistance band, but here lately it has been her Perfect Flow Mobility Basics.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 05:50 AM  
Twigs

What's been beneficial to me:

Qigong for mental health, as I've been going through a lot of stress over the past few months.

Essentrics/CS when I had plantar fasciitis a few years ago. I remember a couple of episodes from CS10 that really helped.

Health Barre Callanetics with Sandra. I finally feel as though I've got my body back into alignment after years of trying to correct a misaligned pelvis. I no longer have any niggling pains in my sacrum. I can now do barre work on my toes, which used to cause extreme tightness in my left calf. I've been able to get back to my beloved rebounder and amazingly, I feel strong and am in the best shape I've ever been. I've done Callanetics sporadically before without any real results but I think it's Sandra's combination of Callanetics, Somatics, PF work and focus on alignment that's been the key for me. I'm so happy after so many years of trying to fix myself and it didn't even take that long.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, curtis adams, injury prevention, perfect flow, posture, rehab, rehabilitation, rehabzone, restorative