Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-21, 02:14 PM  
Vantreesta

I have had it a couple times. The last time I had it there was a lot of emotional stress going on at the same time and I had to stay in bed all day the first day bc moving caused me to vomit. I was visiting my parents at the time and thankfully it resolved enough for the cross country trip back home but it took awhile to go away completely. My chiropractor helped a lot. I had missed appts with him due to covid and being out of town for family emergencies so I was completely out of whack. I still feel it a little when I roll over on the floor but it passes quickly. The first time I had it I was prescribed antivert (I think that was the name). It helped but would knock me out in about 20 minutes, could not stay awake. I forget the maneuver my chiropractor told me to try, probably was Epley, but I was too dizzy and felt like vomiting the times I tried it so I gave up on that.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 02:28 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Everyone's case is different, but after getting vertigo every February I pinpointed that mine is caused by allergy / sinus inflammation. Rx nasal spray, Claritin and a steroid taper fix me up within a week or two.

Just putting that there as a potential contributing factor.

I hope you feel better soon - it's awful.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 04:53 PM  
donellda

Thank you Pat
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 05:16 PM  
carly

I have found sinuses and/or severe dehydration are my culprit. When I have an episode I have pinpointed that getting out of bed for me is only a problem when I swing up to a sitting position (and usually to the left). So instead I turn over on my stomach and back out of the bed rear first.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 05:54 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Finally, make sure it's really BPPV and not Meniere's Disease, as the symptoms can be similar. Meniere's is not necessarily anything to be too concerned about, but Epleys many not be as effective in reducing the vertigo.
Yes. I have Meniere's, diagnosed in 1996 after two vertigo episodes severe enough to send me to the ER from vomiting and dehydration. Thankfully I haven't had a debilitating episode in several years and manage it pretty well, though I do have constant tinnitus in my left ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
The first time I had it I was prescribed antivert (I think that was the name). It helped but would knock me out in about 20 minutes, could not stay awake.
Antivert is the common name for Meclizine, an antihistamine that is usually the first thing they prescribe for vertigo or motion sickness. It can definitely knock you out, which is sometimes a good thing. The problem is that its effectiveness can wear off over time.

Figuring out your triggers is very helpful for management. Meniere's is caused by an imbalance of fluid in the inner ear, so anything that causes more fluid in my head--too much sodium in food, time of the month, sinus congestion, etc.--tends to increase the chances. I found that stress and too much sugar set me off as well. I keep over the counter diuretics and decongestants on hand all the time in case the warning signs appear. I also keep a big metal bowl under my bed in case I wake up spinning and can't make it to the bathroom--thankfully I haven't needed it in a long time.

A friend of mine was having bad episodes of BPPV a couple of years ago and ended up finding relief after visiting her chiropractor. I can't speak to that, as I haven't ever been to one, but it was the only thing that seemed to work for her.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 12:32 AM  
Cecelia

I used to get attacks all the time and just suffered through them. One year, my doctor tested my vitamin D levels and found that I was deficient so I started taking a supplement. Well I noticed that my attacks got better as my vitamin D levels increased. I did a little research and found articles that suggested that vitamin D supplementation can help with vertigo symptoms of BPPV, especially if you have low Vitamin D levels to begin with.

https://neurosciencenews.com/vertigo-vitamin-d-16791/
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 06:17 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I get it several times a year. Mine also seems to be triggered by sinus issues. My doc said that Antivert would work but that your brain getting used to dealing with it is what helps, and your brain can't do that as quickly if you mask the dizziness with Antivert.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 07:51 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

One time I got bad nausea for almost a week straight. The only thing that helped was laying/sitting motionless on the couch watching tv and I eventually got desperate and began taking over-the-counter meclizine. So I binge-watched A LOT of Game of Thrones at the time and could barely move around the house to get to the bathroom and back (I hate feeling nauseous even though I never actually threw up!).

Finally got in to see my primary care doctor. She gave me a one-page handout for "Home Treatment of BPPV: Brandt-Daroff Exercises." It says it's a method for when Epley or Semont fails.

I don't think I ever tried the simple sequence as prescribed because (of course) by the time I got in to see my doctor, it had been a week and the nausea had pretty much resolved. But I still hold onto the handout for future reference. She also told me if the nausea came back to take the meclizine first and then try the exercises about 30 minutes later. (She also assured me it was okay to keep taking the OTC meclizine if I got the nausea again.)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 08:17 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the info on Antivert. I'm glad I only had to take it the first time around. I wasn't seeing a chiropractor back then and I'm thankful he was able to help with the second time. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't be doing that maneuver he told me about a couple times a week to keep everything status quo but I never remember to ask him about it. I should check my handout, it might be Brandt-Daroff instead of Epley.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 08:25 AM  
Izzy

Yes, unfortunately I have experienced vertigo. My first episode was when I was 38, got out of bed and thought we were having an earthquake (in the Midwest??). For me, it gets really bad and I wish it only lasted a few days. I am not sure what triggers it but I do think sinus' could be part of it. It is completing debilitating.

Tags
vertigo