Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-21, 01:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Cool Fashion Deja Vu: Livin' in the 80's!

I went clothes shopping the other day which I rarely do. I fell into a time warp back to the 80's! I saw "mom" jeans, Bermuda shorts with pleats and body suits. (You know, those tops that have snap crotches so they would stay tucked in to your high-waist jeans.)

This song came into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

I mentioned in another post that I'm glad that high-waisted leggings are back in style. I don't get the 80's nostalgia. I was there and it wasn't all that.

Everything old is new again!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 02:00 PM  
Gams

I’ve noticed a lot of culotte style pants. And also linen seems to be the “in” fabric for summer. I hate linen because it wrinkles so quickly and I hate culottes. I could put up with most things, though, if guys would just pull up their pants. If I wanted to mug someone, that’s who I would target - some guy with his crotch down around his knees - how fast could he possibly run?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 04:51 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I went clothes shopping the other day which I rarely do. I fell into a time warp back to the 80's! I saw "mom" jeans, Bermuda shorts with pleats and body suits. (You know, those tops that have snap crotches so they would stay tucked in to your high-waist jeans.)

This song came into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

I mentioned in another post that I'm glad that high-waisted leggings are back in style. I don't get the 80's nostalgia. I was there and it wasn't all that.

Everything old is new again!
I love that Killing Joke song! I watched the whole video. Yes, everything comes back around again. I don't mind some mom jeans, pleats are a no for me, and I love high-waisted pants/leggings.
Old 06-11-21, 05:11 PM  
sherry7899

I remember that song! I hate all the clothing you mentioned. At least neon has not come back. I skipped that trend.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 09:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i was in TJ Maxx recently and noticed mutton sleeves on a designer blouse! i was aghast that that 80s feature had come back.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 09:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i was in TJ Maxx recently and noticed mutton sleeves on a designer blouse! i was aghast that that 80s feature had come back.
I agree that "aghast" is the appropriate reaction to mutton sleeves!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-12-21, 11:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm actually missing some of the late 80s / early 90s clothing. There were many mistakes but there were also lots of good styles.

Nos would be stirrup pants and bodysuits. And it goes without mentioning I wouldn't be wearing spandex to the gym.

Yeses would be the well tailored jackets (moderate shoulder pads, ahem) with a nice camisole (not so low cut, ahem again). I had some really pretty coat dresses and suits for the office. Even the casual clothes were nicer - and I never did own a pair of Mom jeans.

Today's clothes suck. Nothing is cut right, nothing fits well, and the colors are blah. Everything looks like a sack to me. I loved the colors then, such as mauve, burnt orange, olive, taupe, the whole palette of purples and greens. Clothes were made to last. A black and pink outfit, a dove gray sweater with a red scarf, acid washed stretch jeans with a lace trimmed camisole and a plaid button front shirt, open and tied in front. With a gold necklace.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 11:46 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I will admit that I prefer the 80's workout clothing. It was colorful and feminine. I liked the pastels and matching leg warmers and head bands. (Yup, some will be aghast at that.) Of course, I did not own a thong leotard. I tried hard to keep my leotard from creeping up my behind!

At some point, female workout clothes evolved to make women look like hookers, biker chicks, female wrestlers and/or heavy metal band groupies.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! It just isn't my style.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-12-21, 11:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I will admit that I prefer the 80's workout clothing. It was colorful and feminine. I liked the pastels and matching leg warmers and head bands. (Yup, some will be aghast at that.) Of course, I did not own a thong leotard. I tried hard to keep my leotard from creeping up my behind!

At some point, female workout clothes evolved to make women look like hookers, biker chicks, female wrestlers and/or heavy metal band groupies.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! It just isn't my style.
I never did go down the flesh colored tights and thong leotard road myself.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 12:01 PM  
Kitten

See, now I miss stirrup pants - especially the denim ones. They looked phenomenal with a pair of boots. Speaking of which, I hope the the '60's style go-go boots come back in style like they did in the '80's.

Fringed clothing can stay gone, though.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fashion