Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-21, 09:50 PM  
edensmom

In my opinion, going for an iPhone over an Android is just a matter of preference. I don't find the iPhone to be any better than Android, though some may disagree. If you already have an iPad, you may prefer it as you are already familiar with it and it will cut down on the learning curve a bit. Learning a new phone can be overwhelming at first.
Both my 10 and 12 year old daughters have Moto G phones and we've been quite happy with them.
Eta I've had both Android and iPhones on my plan at once and there's absolutely no issue with it. We did buy my daughter a used unlocked phone, brought it into Verizon and they activated it no problem. It just needs to be compatible. My daughter researched it, she was maybe 15 at the time so it must have been pretty straightforward.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Edensmon. I am familiar with ipads through use at work and the studio but don't own one - I have a laptop and expect to continue using that for the majority of my online access. For me, the smartphone will truly be a "mobile" device, not really for home use other than incidental stuff.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:37 PM  
Leonana

We bought older IPhones from Consumer Cellular. We paid around $200 for each phone. My husband currently has a 6s. I think 6 and lower won’t update, but eventually we will have to update his phone when the 6s is too old. I had a 6s, but upgraded to an XR, only because my daughter gave it to me when she got an 11. I have to admit, I’ve been spoiled by the XR, but I was happy with the 6s when I had it.

I don’t know how it compares to Android because I’ve always had Apple. As for you having a different phone from your dh, I don’t think it would be a problem. However, when I text to an IPhone, I can see if it’s been read. I can’t do that when texting an Android.

We’ve been happy with Consumer Cellular and our IPhones. I’m sitting here replying to you on it, lol.
Old 07-07-21, 11:13 PM  
edensmom

You can see when your text has been read with Android. It can be marked read, or if you share a carrier it automatically shows you, at least on verizon.
Beth, if you are already familiar with iPad, getting an iPhone may be a bit easier as the tablets and phones are very similar. My girls had Samsung (android) tablets and when we got them phones, it was very easy to set up and for them to navigate. That's why we got them Moto G among other reasons. As far as features I have not personally found one to be better than the other though some people seem to be super into their apple products. I've never found Android to be inferior in any way.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:06 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, thanks for that info. DH was wondering about the "forced" upgrades - do the older phones like your DH's 6 stop working eventually? I don't think I'm going to use my phone all that much, but he really isn't - he works at home, doesn't have a lot of business/social contacts, uses his desktop computer all day, etc.

Edensmom, I'll actually be going from an ipod touch (music device with wireless) to the phone. I'm not a person who is super-into Apple products, so I don't think it would bother me that way; I just don't want there to be anything that I've gotten used to relying on that I won't have anymore.

So many decisions!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-08-21, 09:09 AM  
horsemom2

One BIG reason I prefer Android:

The Web Video Caster app can download almost any video file on an android. The file can then be transferred wherever I want it (phone sd card, laptop hard drive, google drive, etc.). I can use the android to stream that file easily to my ROKU Express or Chromecast. It has become a game changer for me.

I have just cheap tracfones and get a new one with a bundle each year instead of adding service days.
the old phones become mini-tablets after being deactivated.

My husband likes the cheap LG Journey I recently got him and our son loved inheriting dh's deactivated Moto Power LOL
https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-jour...data-f/9912459
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barb, thanks for that info - definitely interesting but I'm not sure it's something I would use.

I should note that one thing I do use my ipod for is filming my YouTube videos. After I am done, I connect my ipod to my laptop, go into the ipod memory (as if it were a hard drive), and transfer to video to my laptop - would I be able to do something similar with an Android device? I often do this with transferring photos as well, although sometimes I go into icloud.com online to access these (which I assume I would not have with Android).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-08-21, 09:33 AM  
horsemom2

you can record a video on an android and it is a file you can transfer either with the data/charging cable or through a cloud service like Google drive.
Old 07-08-21, 09:40 AM  
horsemom2

What I would strongly advise is to try the LG Journey deal (link in previous post). You would get a chance to try tracfone for just ~$50 for the whole year.
If you hate it, you can try something else whenever you want and keep the phone as a second phone or mini-tablet.

Once you have a mobile phone, you can download Google Voice to your ipad for additional texting. We never have used all of our calls, texts or data and keep accumulating more each year as they all rollover.
Old 07-08-21, 11:01 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, thanks for that info. DH was wondering about the "forced" upgrades - do the older phones like your DH's 6 stop working eventually? I don't think I'm going to use my phone all that much, but he really isn't - he works at home, doesn't have a lot of business/social contacts, uses his desktop computer all day, etc.

Edensmom, I'll actually be going from an ipod touch (music device with wireless) to the phone. I'm not a person who is super-into Apple products, so I don't think it would bother me that way; I just don't want there to be anything that I've gotten used to relying on that I won't have anymore.

So many decisions!
I don’t think the phone stops working completely. You can still make calls and text. But you can’t use advanced features. My friend had to upgrade her 6 recently because she couldn’t access her bank account.

I know someone who kept her IPhone 3 for about seven years! I think it still worked when she got rid of it. But I think Androids upgrade too, so it would be an issue with all phones.

I’ve never had an Android, and know many people are happy with them, but I doubt I would switch. I’m too used to Apple and their apps. I did have the cheapest smartphone from Consumer Cellular before IPhone. I definitely love the IPhone more, to me there’s no comparison. I doubt I would like a cheaper track phone. However, if you aren’t used to it, I’m sure it’s fine. So maybe you’ll want to avoid getting used to it lol.

Tags
android, cell phone plans, iphone, mobile devices, off topic, off-topic, smart phones