Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-13, 01:11 AM  
ilovemybirds

Non-impact cardio??

Is there such a thing as non-impact cardio workouts? My inlaws are living below us right now, and I've been doing my cardio at the gym lately, so I don't have to be pounding over their heads for 45 minutes to 1 hour. However, I'm getting so sick of cardio machines, it's not even funny. I asked my MIL if she would mind if I did some of my cardio DVDs as a change of pace. She said that would be fine, as long as I did them during my toddler's nap time (about 1-3:30). Sometimes, that will work for me, but there are other times when I need to do other things instead (chores, etc... ). Anyway, for times when I can't exercise in the afternoon, is there such a thing as non- impact cardio? If not, aren't their some really light weight toning workouts that elevate the heart rate (like maybe the Booty Barre workouts)? Would power yoga be a good option? TIA!
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 01:26 AM  
RachelW

That's frustrating! I think you are on to something with the barre workouts. When I used to do Physique 57 my heart rate got up there. I didn't use a monitor but I huffed and puffed. (Keep in mind I am no cardio queen so YMMV).
Old 04-26-13, 07:37 AM  
wlorrie

I live on the second floor of an old, creeky aptment bldg. When I do cardio at home, I stick to kickboxing from Ilaria or Billy. There is not a Lot of jumping around. Also, Cathe's Low Impaft HITT does not make a lot of noise. If anything involves a few jumps, I just double up on the puzzle mat and land softly.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 08:55 AM  
Zenara25

Not non-impact but are low-impact. These are not true cardio except for the kickboxing one. But most of these I believe are considered circuit type workouts with lower weights and a higher emphasis on cardio IMHO.

Cathe's Low Impact Series (LIS) is mostly what I used when I went away on vacation with people below us. Especially Afterburn, Cardio Supersets, Slide and Glide. Athletic Training is good too if you have a step. You'd need sliding discs (or paper plates), a firewalker loop and dumbbells.

I used these also while away:
Cathe's Travel Fit (uses a band). Most if not all of the cardio moves are done with toes still on the ground.
Cathe's Turbobarre (uses a firewalker loop and light weights).
Cathe's Kickmax (kickboxing) has a low impact premix.
Insanity Cardio Recovery (but you'd probably need to buy the whole set).

Last edited by Zenara25; 04-26-13 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Not non-impact
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 08:57 AM  
junico

Kettlebells! as long as you don't drop them
junico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 08:58 AM  
deineira

How about Tonique and/or Dream Body? DB has some light jumping, but they show mods for all of that. It can easily be made zero impact. Tonique has the occasional cardio burst but you can just skip those. It's mostly lunges and squats and it definitely gets your heart rate up.

Also, Cathe has a Slide and Glide workout that does not involve any impact and it definitely gets your heart rate up. In fact, her whole low impact series would work for this, as your two feet are almost always grounded.

Hope that helps!
Eva
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 09:15 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

There are several great barre options for cardio. Physique 57 (any of them) provide cardio, and one of their online workouts is cardio specific. Core Fusion has cardio options as well, Cardio Pure Inensity on DVD and yoga vibes (which you can try for free) has some CF cardio live classes.

The great thing about barre cardio is that it's non impact and done without shoes so it's quiet!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 09:17 AM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
Is there such a thing as non-impact cardio workouts? My inlaws are living below us right now, and I've been doing my cardio at the gym lately, so I don't have to be pounding over their heads for 45 minutes to 1 hour. However, I'm getting so sick of cardio machines, it's not even funny. I asked my MIL if she would mind if I did some of my cardio DVDs as a change of pace. She said that would be fine, as long as I did them during my toddler's nap time (about 1-3:30). Sometimes, that will work for me, but there are other times when I need to do other things instead (chores, etc... ). Anyway, for times when I can't exercise in the afternoon, is there such a thing as non- impact cardio? If not, aren't their some really light weight toning workouts that elevate the heart rate (like maybe the Booty Barre workouts)? Would power yoga be a good option? TIA!
Was she THAT specific (1-330) about the time??? And if so, does she mean to be so specific , as if those are the only hours that wont bother her? Or is she making that suggestion in order to hedge some specific times that she's guarding? Or, could it be that she's suggesting that time as a covert way to say, "Hey, sure, the noice won't bother me, but I won't be available to babysit while you workout." (Which, of course, would be very fair for her to decline doing.)

If you have a specific time you would like to workout that's outside that window, I would suggest (gently, politely, of course) asking her how that would work. (Like, "Hey, I'm going to do workouts 10am on Tuesdays, will it bother you if I did a cardio session then? Can we try that and see how it goes?") You could, if she agrees to your time try, make a commitment to call her after (not before) and see how it went for her. The noise level may be less than she fears.

You could get a pack of stickers and put stars on DVDs that you discover get you a cardio affect without disturbing her.

How do you feel about a rebounder? Step aerobics also get the heart rate higher without jumping. Mat based cardio like Ellen's Studio workouts may also be a good option. The barre and kettlebell otpions are good, too.
Old 04-26-13, 09:42 AM  
edensmom

If you can stream youtube in your workout area Jessica Smith has some no impact options on her channel.

My first thought was something like Skinny Sculpt.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:33 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by junico View Post
Kettlebells! as long as you don't drop them
This is what I was going to suggest! Kettlebell swings are very aerobic--in fact, my favorite form of cardio these days. And they will never know you are doing them.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote