Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-21, 08:40 PM  
Bearybuff

Oh, I LOVE my Conair Spin Brush!!! I finally have nice blow out looking hair. Alas, I don't know of a European version.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 06:24 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybuff View Post
Oh, I LOVE my Conair Spin Brush!!! I finally have nice blow out looking hair. Alas, I don't know of a European version.
I love mine, too, and was brokenhearted when I checked the voltage.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 07:55 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Hi all - I just got my first manicure in literally almost 20 years (and a pedicure, but it had only been a few years for that). I got a powder manicure and I love it so far! The nail tech told me that it could last for almost a month, so I'm excited about that. My question is, can I add my own top coat to make it last longer? And if so, when should I do that - maybe once a week?
I am not a nail tech, but nail art has been one of my hobbies for years and disclosure: I am a brand ambassador for Maniology.

Personally I have never done dip nails or acrylics, though I know others that enjoy them. If you are aware of the issues w/ dip manis (not sanitary, bonding resin is main ingredient in Krazy Glue, removal takes time, harsh & damaging to nails & skin) and are ok with them, then yes you can apply a top coat as often as you wish. Top coating often will extend the life of any mani.

Typically my manis last 2 weeks if I don't change them sooner. Longer if I use a glitter, flakie, or micro glitter polish. IME a base coat, 2 coats polish, and top coat of any decent brand can last weeks if you cap your tips & wear gloves while washing dishes, cooking, gardening, etc.
Old 05-31-21, 08:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Sandra; my post was actually from over a month ago. The powder manicure I got was sanitary since the powder was poured into an individual cup to use on my nows. But you are right, removal was a PITA! I probably wouldn't do it again for that reason.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 07:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm looking for a new flat iron. I prefer the 2 inch ones, I have a lot of hair and this would be quicker. Any recommendations? TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 11:04 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I am not a nail tech, but nail art has been one of my hobbies for years and disclosure: I am a brand ambassador for Maniology.

OMG!! I just took a look, and realized that I'm way behind the times. Years ago I got a bunch of Bundle Monster's nail stamping plates but hadn't realized they'd rebranded. So much temptation, LO!!!
Old 07-17-21, 11:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Any thoughts on applying hair oil to the scalp? My poor post-meno, thyroid hair is so crinkly, dry and frizzy. My hairdresser gave me a sample of Moroccanoil treatment to apply from mid-hair to ends only. I'm wondering of massaging some directly into the scalp might help or harm.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 11:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Any thoughts on applying hair oil to the scalp? My poor post-meno, thyroid hair is so crinkly, dry and frizzy. My hairdresser gave me a sample of Moroccanoil treatment to apply from mid-hair to ends only. I'm wondering of massaging some directly into the scalp might help or harm.
Pat, I haven't done this (it would make my fine straight hair even limper!), but my younger sister actually recently mentioned doing this for her hair, which is thick and more gray than mine. She said that her stylist gave her a sample of oil too, but she also said she tried applying some oils that she just had. I don't recall the exact ones she used but could ask. I know she said that she applied after her shower and than wrapped her hair in a t-shirt (I believe it's a curly girl trick to do this rather than use a towel) to dry.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-17-21, 02:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I can't speak to your specific medical issues, but I have done all sorts of scalp massage techniques, and didn't find them harmful. On the other hand, I have fine, naturally oily hair, and I don't really think my hair needs that kind of help, so I eventually quit bothering.

For me, just making the time to use a good rich conditioner once in a while is enough. Mostly I just use lighter ones, and a detangling rinse after a cleansing shampoo treatment.

Some people's hair really does respond well to being oiled, though. Kind of depends if you want to oil the hair as a grooming product or oil the scalp (and massage or scritch) as a treatment for the skin.
Old 08-30-21, 03:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question More about hair...what to do with those wiry grays?

I'm thrilled to see more women going gray, a nice silver lining (pun intended, haha) of the pandemic!

I actually stopped coloring my hair back in 2019 so it could go gray naturally. At the time I didn't have many grays, but I think the past 18 months has given me a lot more. Still, I'm only 5-10% gray. I don't mind it, but what I definitely DON'T like is that the coarse, wiry gray hairs stick out straight from my scalp - and the rest of my (still brown) hair is fine and super-straight!

Any ideas how to manage this? I have been trying to condition more, but if I over condition, it makes my fine hair even limper. I could try a product that I would apply more directly to the grays (which are mostly at the top of my head), but some products make my scalp itch, so I would have to be careful with that, especially since I'm not sure what ingredient is the trigger.

You all helped so much with my skin care woes that I am hoping you can help with this too; TIA!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2021