Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-21, 01:40 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

2021 Thrift Store Finds

i was in Savers today after making a large donation of items - massive decluttering going on at our house!

i saw these:

Shaun T Rockin Body set, shrink-wrapped with literature too! for $5.99
Janis Saffell Beverly Hills Pilates - i considered getting it! for $1.99
Leslie Sansone - Ultimate Walk $1.99 (this is a compilates of her WATP)
Jackie Warner - couple of her workouts
Jillian Michaels Killer Abs $1.99

P.S. I hope this thread is the new Thrift Store Finds and not a duplicate - i searched and didn't see one.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 07:08 AM  
fanofladyvols

I don't see a thread either, bzar so thanks for starting us off!
I picked up a 4 dvd set Total body Slimdown...has 2 workouts from Stephanie Vitorino and 2 from Shelly McDonald. Haven't previewed but seemed like a good deal.
I also found Natalie Jill's 7 day jumpstart book. I am hoping some recipe ideas pan out.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 08:30 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i was in Savers today after making a large donation of items - massive decluttering going on at our house!
Ah...when you give, the universe gives back.

alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 10:45 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

A month or so ago, I acquired Yin Yang Workout (a.k.a. Tai Chi Balanced Workout) with Janis Saffell and Scott Cole at a thrift store, together with Jessica Smith's 10 Minute Solution Knockout Body. I've finally ventured into the realm of kickboxing after years of avoiding it because of my knees (can get tweaked). But KCM's kickboxing segments in some of her DVDs with strength segments changed my mindset so I'm now dabbling elsewhere too. I tried the Janis and Scott DVD and found it absolutely fabulous as it was a semi-recovery workout (~45 mins of tai chi + kickboxing + unweighted standing leg work that's balance intensive and creative) that still got me a bit sweaty and ~3K steps. Super fun workout and they have great camaraderie on screen! The tai chi segments felt a bit like a nice substitute for flowing yoga, a bit of stretching and a lot of mobility work... and then getting some cardio and sweat on with the kickboxing segments. I am already a Jessica fan so looking forward to trying my find and I've heard this is a pretty tough (as is much of her earlier work on DVD)!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 07:10 PM  
Leonana

Today at Goodwill I found The Firm, Cardio Weight System. It has four dvd's, hi-def sculpt, cardio overdrive, hard core fusion and cardio party. All Goodwill dvds are $1.29, but with my over 55 discount, I got it for 90 cents! The 4 dvds in the set look barely used.

The description says hi-def sculpt is body shaping exercises at a slower pace, and cardio overdrive is low impact cardio and body shaping exercises. Hard core fusion is aerobic and weight training, and cardio party sounds like a dance workout. TBH, I don't know if I'll do the last two, especially if there is high impact, but the weight training and low impact cardio is definitely what I"m looking for.
Old 01-12-21, 07:39 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sherry, from what I remember, cardio party has a low impact modifier. Has several segments with different teachers ..my fav was Allie. Hi def sculpt is the best workout on there.

Good job!

My Goodwill hasn't lowered their dvd prices...still $2.99.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 07:47 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Today at Goodwill I found The Firm, Cardio Weight System. It has four dvd's, hi-def sculpt, cardio overdrive, hard core fusion and cardio party. All Goodwill dvds are $1.29, but with my over 55 discount, I got it for 90 cents! The 4 dvds in the set look barely used.

The description says hi-def sculpt is body shaping exercises at a slower pace, and cardio overdrive is low impact cardio and body shaping exercises. Hard core fusion is aerobic and weight training, and cardio party sounds like a dance workout. TBH, I don't know if I'll do the last two, especially if there is high impact, but the weight training and low impact cardio is definitely what I"m looking for.
Great find! I've done Cardio Party the most from this set. Pure cardio with no gadgets or weights. There's a modifier so definitely give it a try. It's fun, too! Cardio Overdrive has a high impact section if I remember correctly with lots of high knees. But there's a modifier with this, too, and Allison is a great instructor. I don't have Hard Core Fusion, so I can't comment on that workout, and Hi-Def Sculpt is weights only.
Old 01-12-21, 07:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

I love these workouts and Hi-Def Sculpt is one of my favorites. Nice find!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 08:57 AM  
Leonana

Thanks for the reviews everyone! I’m definitely looking forward to using it.

Most of the Firms I find are the half hour strength and cardio combo, and I was looking for a weights only, so happy to find this one. I did get Sculpt and Super Sculpt from Thriftbooks for $5 each.

Linda, our Goodwills lowered them to $1.29 six months ago. I guess they were not selling.
Old 01-13-21, 02:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Ah...when you give, the universe gives back.

thank you for this.

being home all this time has magnified the surplus in our house.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heidi sormaz, thrift store finds