Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-22, 08:19 AM  
Garrie A.

A guy's journey through Ellen Barrett's workouts

Hi all! I'm a VFer who's been missing in action lately. (Still reading the threads, just not posting like I used to.)

My background
I'm a 26 year old male who is at an intermediate/advanced fitness level. Naturally I gravitate towards The Firm, Cathe, KCM, and Caroline Girvan for weight training, and various complex step and hi/lo for cardio. I'm also into kettlebells and occasionally use my spin bike for an alternative cardio option. Heavy weights and moderate intensity steady state cardio are my two favorite types of workouts, although I also love cardio + strength combo workouts. The Firm was my first love, after all! Super intense cardio is not my cup of tea--while I love Cathe, Maximum Intensity Cardio is not my idea of fun. (I can get through it, but I feel like $hit afterwards.)

So why did I randomly decide to pull out my Ellen Barrett workouts? Well to put it bluntly, I've been in a bit of a rut. I love lifting heavy weights (proud 2x STS grad here and overdue for my third round), but nothing on my shelf appeals to me. Right now I don't feel like pulling out all my equipment just to have to put it back again. Plus, Fall semester rush starts at my bookstore job next week (which is very stressful with long hours). So I need some mood lifting workouts that leave me feeling energized rather than depleted. Plus, looking through my DVD collection Ellen's warm smile popped out at me. I have all of her Studio workouts (except for Barefoot Cardio), all of her Crunch DVDs, and some of her Live workouts. She's not a new to me instructor, as I fell in love with her after doing her Crunch Super Slim Down Pilates Yoga Blend DVD several years ago. Then I tried Fat Burning Pilates, and the love continued. In late 2016, I traded for her original three Studio DVDs--but only tried Slim Sculpt because I rekindled my love of The Firm and began to discover Cathe (after a few months long barre and Tracie Long lovefest). So many of the Ellen workouts I've accumulated (ok, hoarded)--either through trades, eBay, or Goodwill--are virgins. Fear of missing out, right?

So yesterday I began my Ellen journey by revisiting Slim Sculpt. I've probably only done it two or three times. From memory I remember it burning my arms out (with 2 lb. weights) and having some sneaky DOMS in my side body the next day. Plus, I felt invigorated and "glowed" afterwards. And my memory was correct! I loved it! While my arms are much stronger than they were when I first tried this workout, at one point I had to put them down--during that second long set of side reaches right when Ellen cheerfully cues out "16 more!". Caroline Girvan kicking my butt Monday probably didn't help much, either.

The mat work was sneaky (since core work is not my strong point), and I had to follow Meg during the side twists w/ top leg kicking while Ellen and Debra extend both legs out. Afterwards, I felt energized rather than exhausted. Although this morning I have some DOMS in my side body, just like I remembered!

Plus, Ellen has this unique way of being cheerful yet peaceful at the same time. And while I roll my eyes at some of her comments (how an exercise is "flattering" to a woman's body or how her exercises will tone you without building bulk), I enjoyed her positivity and reminders to keep my heart center lifted, breathing steady, core engaged, and that "it's not just what you're moving, it's what you're not moving." All in all, it was just what I needed on a dreary, stormy day.

Stay tuned as I go through the rest of my Ellen collection! I won't be doing Ellen every day, as I need days where I lift heavy or do more intense cardio, but she will be featured more often rather than sitting on the back burner.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 10:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi Garrie, nice to see you. Agree with everything you observed, especially how sneaky Ellen's workouts can be. I do find some eye rolling moments myself! She can come up with some silly expressions (I'm not fond of "skinny"), but she's so sweet and seems to genuinely want her followers to succeed so it's easy for me to overlook them.

I took an in-person class with her once, and she was kind enough to chat with me and pose for a photo afterward. She's even more beautiful and nice in person - with a sassy side we don't get to see.

You must treat yourself to a streaming subscription some time. I love the content there.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 11:10 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi Garrie! I understand that rut -- I was just starting to feel that way after a long stint with Caroline. I wasn't sure what to do next. I looked at Cathe's August rotation and it looked good so that's where I am, but I will follow this thread -- I'm curious to see how you like it.

Pat, good to know that you like her streaming site!
Old 08-11-22, 01:19 PM  
kat999

Ellen's workouts are so sneaky indeed! Very deceptively easy but I always wind up with DOMS afterward, especially in my arms and abs.
Old 08-11-22, 01:35 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Glad to see you posting, Garrie!

I did Pilates Strong (30 mins) on Ellen's streaming two days ago and I'm still sore!

I DM'ed her on Instagram and she was so lovely and encouraging. I am so glad that I went back to her streaming, so much variety. Some of her stuff is indeed deceptive!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 04:05 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I love this post, Garrie! And I want to follow your journey. I haven't pulled out my Ellen DVDs (apart from Yogini which I LOVE) in ages and ages. But I could have written what you wrote about the rut and not wanting to pull out equipment and other things you said.

Because of those exact things, I've been in a barre journey of doing barre three times a week alternating with metabolic or circuit type workouts (mostly Cathe) the other days and am loving it. That being said, with this rotation it'd be super easy to sub out barre for some of my Ellen's, which I might have to do! I agree with everyone else, Ellen is deceptive and sneaky but she's so cheerful and sweet about it, hah!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and keep us posted!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 04:50 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Hi Garrie! I love Ellen. I think I like her personality even more than her workouts. It is a bucket list item of mine to get to one of her classes live. I think she is so sweet and encouraging.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 05:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Garrie, it's wonderful that you are posting about Ellen! She was a favorite for many of us here at VF and it was sad when she stopped creating/producing DVDs, when streaming was just in its infancy.

Gosh, I haven't done an Ellen workout in ages...but have them ALL! Thanks to your thread, I might add-on one of her shorter Crunch or Self workouts soon!

BTW, Slim Sculpt is awesome!!!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 05:39 PM  
JENILU

I'm around so little I didn't know you weren't here, but am glad you are back!! And I so needed this!! I had just decided to stick with this type of WO for a little while to keep from using up my energy and to be gentler on shoulders (don't have slim sculpt, lol). I am hoping doing workouts of this style/ fusion- standing pilates, etc.. can calm down my nervous system but give me the beneficial parts of exercise as well. i burn out on her quick if its only her, but I think I have enough variety to keep it enjyable.
I so hope you are back and really hope you enjoy yourself! And thankyou for the happy update. it inspired me

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 06:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

cheers Garrie - thanks for the inspiration.

I just purchased Ellen's Feel Good set from Mary's sale, and did the workout right away. really love it. I plan to try the 2 mediation CDs that came with it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barrett