Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-22, 08:55 AM  
TracyQ

Chalene Johnson on Weight Training

Chalene recently posted her Body Transformation story to YouTube. My first reaction was “what’s she trying to sell us now”, but in this one she isn’t selling anything. She always seems to be selling something so who knows maybe she has something in the works.

She has cut way back on cardio and is lifting heavy. She looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/tdprujhsIdM

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 09:06 AM  
ellaenchanted

She looks great as she always has. To me she just looks less lean than when she was doing Powder Blue workouts and BeachBody. I miss her workouts, I wish she filmed something like CLX Push Circuit and TK (powder blue era) workouts again.

Personally, I have to do low impact, steady state cardio (LISS) almost everyday. Strength and muscle endurance comes fairly easy to me but the cardio is key for weight maintenance and it keeps me limber and feeling good physically and mentally. I guess it is very individual.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 09:56 AM  
prettyinpink

She is pretty late to the party for strength training for older women being a good idea, and whole foods being better than processed, but maybe she thinks a lot of her audience needs that message. She looks fantastic. It’s sad to hear of her previous exercise disorder.

It makes me smile to see choices explained by saying they followed “research” at “universities” like they are the one of the only people in their industry asking questions or following this stuff. I feel like
I have seen that a few times before.

After the first part, I was surprised to see that about half of the workout she showed was conventional weight machines, which is not bad, but not what I expected after what she said. And then her workout plan is 6 days per week, with 3 of them being legs. A whole day on just shoulders. That’s great if it works for you, but that’s a more intense gym schedule than I could keep up.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 10:08 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post

Personally, I have to do low impact, steady state cardio (LISS) almost everyday. Strength and muscle endurance comes fairly easy to me but the cardio is key for weight maintenance and it keeps me limber and feeling good physically and mentally. I guess it is very individual.
It sounds like she still advocates for LISS like biking and walking. She described extreme amounts of higher intensity cardio and calorie counting with a poor quality diet in the past, to explain why she is getting the results she prefers now.
Old 07-19-22, 10:32 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
After the first part, I was surprised to see that about half of the workout she showed was conventional weight machines, which is not bad, but not what I expected after what she said. And then her workout plan is 6 days per week, with 3 of them being legs. A whole day on just shoulders. That’s great if it works for you, but that’s a more intense gym schedule than I could keep up.
I wonder if she is going to be coming out with a piece of equipment that mimics those machines. I like Chalene but it seems she’s always trying to sell something.

I used to go to the gym. The only machine I miss is the leg press machine. I loved that machine. My legs were in great shape back then. Of course I was 20 years younger.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 01:44 PM  
wendug

I'm curious, did she film Chalean Extreme and not believe what she was selling? I loved that system and enjoy lifting heavy, but why is she now coming out and saying this? I think she is just trying to get more people to listen to her podcasts, but it is odd that she is coming out now to promote heavy lifting when she did CLX back in 2008. I agree that too much cardio is not good, especially when it is high impact. I love Turbo Jam and Turbo Kick (not so much Turbo Fire- too frantic for me) and feel that aren't too high impact and really slim the waist. I agree with ellaenchanted, I need to add in cardio as strength and muscle endurance comes easy to me. Cardio keeps things in check, however, my body can't take the high impact.
Old 07-19-22, 02:50 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm curious, did she film Chalean Extreme and not believe what she was selling? .
Haha, exactly. This is why I was expecting her to show she was doing super heavy barbell workouts or CrossFit style lifting, something much heavier and really different from what she had shown many years ago, especially after the picture she showed. Maybe she wasn’t really pushing herself to progress before.

I don’t normally listen to her at all. The last time I heard anything by her was when someone posted something a few years ago. Of course it’s for self-promotion, what on social media isn’t. But it’s interesting.

It is interesting to think about people who may have followed her in her BeachBody heyday years ago and bought her programs thinking they could look like her. When really it sounds like she wasn’t very happy with herself, and was doing way way more, or at least very different, than her own programs for the public (as I believe most fitness influencers actually do) and punishing her body. I think that more people starting their fitness journey, younger people, could benefit from understanding this.
Old 07-19-22, 03:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

I guess I don't see the issue with someone changing their mind on what works or what they prefer.

I know my needs and, certainly my self development, has changed ...so I don't know why a trainer couldn't be afforded the same.

As far as selling things, I expect that. No different than my insurance agent.

Good for her continuing to exercise and taking better care of herself!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 09:29 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I almost didn't recognized her, she looks a bit different from the last YouTube video I watched of her a while ago. Still looking great though. I am glad she found something that works for her and seeing positive results. She cracked me up when she apologized for her CLX outfits! The boots... lol

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 10:46 PM  
rykram

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I guess I don't see the issue with someone changing their mind on what works or what they prefer.

I know my needs and, certainly my self development, has changed ...so I don't know why a trainer couldn't be afforded the same.

As far as selling things, I expect that. No different than my insurance agent.

Good for her continuing to exercise and taking better care of herself!
I kinda agree. As we get older and our bodies change, it is kinda understandable that how we keep fit and healthy would change. I personally don’t go all out with crazy workouts anymore. It’s just not as beneficial to me. But, we are all different.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalene, chalene johnson, leg press, leg presses, lower body strength