Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-22, 08:15 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

Today's Workout: I did the Lower Body routine from Jessica Smith's original Walk Strong set. My first time in many months. I modified the squat segment a lot, but otherwise things went fairly well. I love Margaret but it was nice to do lower body with Jessica for a change. I finished with the Rejuvenation routine from Jessica's new Stretch + Relax. I think this is my favorite of the three I've done so far -- still need to sample Rise and Recover.

Take care everyone!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 10:46 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday was a rest day for me. We did a downtown Courtenay walkabout with DIL and stopped for lunch. I did a nice long stretch with some hip acupressure when I got home.

Interesting observation…..Sue always has you do what she calls a rest assess before and after a MELT session & I’ve started doing it before and after acupressure with a Petrone ball. The difference is quite significant. Before there’s a bigger curve in my low back, starting just below the bra line. After, the curve starts lower & is much less pronounced. My back is more relaxed into the mat. I get the same effect with MELTing.

Sandra - I did that same Jessica lower body workout on Friday. It’s a good one & easy to modify.

Beth - Sorry your class was canceled & hope you get better weather next time!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 07:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~ETV: Ellyn’s live from March 18, first 30 min up to standing stretch.
~Jessica’s Total Body Strength 31
~Jessica’s Stretch & Relax: Relax - This was really nice!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 07:39 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: I did the Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 -- one of my favorites! I followed with Recover from Jessica's new Stretch + Relax. Jessica uses an upholstered chair with a tall back for this one. I don't have anything similar, so I had to do some adapting, but still managed a nice stretch. Earlier today I walked outside for an hour.

Regarding Jessica, I've been meaning to mention something my local VF buddy told me. She was reading on another forum that people were asking about Debbie, Jessica's mother. The forum administrator reached out to Jessica and was assured that Debbie was doing just fine -- in fact she is the chief babysitter for Jessica's little girl. The administrator also shared that Jessica and Debbie are planning to do some new YouTube workouts together! If they do, and if they are well received, perhaps Jessica will consider a set of DVDs featuring more modifications (this is just my thought and not what the forum administrator said). A girl can dream!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 07:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all. Yesterday featured:

~ Lee Holden 30 Day Challenge - Day 29
~ Jessica Valant Back Pain Relief Exercises
~ Heavy gardening
~ 5,613 steps

It was a perfect day for outdoor activities. I got all my plants in and began mulching. I'll likely put a few more annual flowers and herbs in pots which are much less labor intensive and can be moved to fill in blank spots. But my back and hands are TOAST.

Sandra, what was wrong with Jessica's mom? Was it worries because she was MIA? How are the rest of the new workouts for you?

Pam, I looked at some images of Courtenay. What a beautiful location for walking! You have me wanting to look into MELT-ing - that is amazing progress, good for you.

Beth, I don't know about yoga classes at VG - but it sounds heavenly!

Thinking about our Margot - hoping things are alright.

Waves all around, make it a great day!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 08:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Good morning!

Pat, hope it's not a "MOAN-day" today since it is a holiday. Sounds like you were busy! Were you mostly planting ornamental things, or did you do veggies?

Sandra, good to hear that Jessica's mom is okay; I was sad to see that they lost Peanut awhile back.

Paine, is your family getting together today? Are your grandsons excited about summer almost being here?

cyana, that's frustrating about the delay with getting your exterior work done. (Oddly, when my sister was having her house painted a few years back, they also ran into a delay because their painter had cancer.) I agree with you about the Cubii. I do think it would be good for my mom to get into Leslie again. It's hard for her because she has her back pain while standing, so marching in place is difficult; I sent her a few other YouTube routines to check out.

Carolyn, glad that your back pain is starting to heal. I don't recall whether you do yin yoga, but I've done this series of 4 videos for back pain that I like (still have to do #4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74BHMHUvlQ&t=1200s

Pam, I was glad enough to have time to myself on Saturday and not have to go anywhere. That's interesting about the "rest assess." Jill Miller does similar before and after check-ins with her ball work.

Speaking of ball work, Ellen Saltonstall, a yoga teacher I've taken workshops with before (she has worked with Dr. Loren Fishman of yoga for osteoporosis fame) is coming back to this area the second weekend in June - she'll be at a yoga studio at the town where I work. She teaches ballwork and has a very calming demeanor. All of her workshops sound good, but on Saturday afternoon she has a longer one that focuses on the vagus nerve and offers CE credits for teachers.

I realized that I haven't posted much about my workouts of late! I've switched from doing the chair abs with Holly Dolke to this floor one (which I modify a bit):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7z...ist=WL&index=3

I've also been doing this short kettlebell core routine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmjM...ist=WL&index=2

Last week I did a lot from the Fit & Bendy YouTube channel. This week I've had a bit more DVD love (eg, KCM Strength & Stamina). Today I think I'm going to try this Heather Robertson workout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECJ...ist=WL&index=1

ETA: Forgot to mention that I filmed a new workout yesterday, "Yoga for Resilience." It will post tomorrow morning. I may try to do another meditation this week but not sure if I will get it in before we leave on Thursday (to go to Boston for my niece's high school graduation).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 10:05 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beauty to the Bone (Sandra's special: Program A Workout 1 Upper Body work plus Back from Program B)
Program B Workout #2 (calves, outer thigh and Inner Thigh)
Jackie's Essentrics class

Yesterday was a planned rest day. I had a good workout this morning!

Pat, I'm thinking about Margot too and hope she is OK.

Beth, our 2 sons are working today so we won't be seeing them. I'm not sure if my daughter works today or not. My 7 year old grandson is excited about summer vacation. The 3 year old doesn't really understand summer vacation since he is not in preschool.
I previewed that YouTube Abs segment you posted and I like what I see so I bookmarked it. Interestingly, it doesn't have any title or say who is teaching it! I've never seen that in a YouTube.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 10:47 AM  
cyana

Boo hoo - that's the sound of me in mourning as I am really dreading going back to work tomorrow. It's a sunny day here, so I'm going to head out after breakfast to work in the yard and work on my mental health. My goal is to have a sunnier disposition after getting some fresh air and Mother Nature's Vitamin D. Fingers crossed - the guy is supposed to be coming out tomorrow to begin the exterior repairs. He came out on Saturday morning to look at what needed to be done - hopefully he would've told DH then if he thought it was more than he wanted to tackle.

Sandra - I thought of you when I saw this Bob & Brad video that was just posted yesterday on stronger legs. He shows modifications for the wall squats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28r8MejO9hA . I sure hope your HR person is right when it comes to not regretting picking a retirement date. I came across several stories yesterday about people who were getting into financial distress after retirement. One was a lady who who had to go back to work part-time after being retired for less than a year due to increasing costs (the story specifically mentioned a significant hike in her utility bills, but otherwise the story was a bit short on specifics, making it difficult to draw a meaningful conclusion as to whether she was already on a tight budget). Another was a couple that moved to Florida and their rent is increasing dramatically (rents in Florida are increasing by as much as $1K/mo.). I think owning your place before retiring is a huge benefit, even though I'm currently moaning and groaning about all the repairs and such that are hitting all at once. There was my daily attempt to talk myself off the ledge, LOL! I'm glad to hear that Jessica's mom, Debbie, is doing well. It would be good to see her in some future work-outs when she isn't busy enjoying being grandma.

Beth - I don't buy into the P.T.'s Cubii limited range of motion bias. All things that you pedal have a limited range of motion, and I've pedaled my Cubii enough to say that I don't feel there's a limited ROM as compared to comparable stationary devices. In any case, I hope your mom comes up with a good solution that works for her needs. I must admit, a steady diet of Leslie would make me nuts.

Pat - What sort of perennials did you divide? Hostas are super easy, daylilies and echinaceas are also easy. Fall is probably better for this chore in my neck of the woods, but as long as you keep them watered (just as you would with any new planting), spring works, too. How exciting that you're also going to attend the Van Gogh exhibition. Can't wait to hear your impressions. My favorite Etsy store for rocks and minerals has closed - Lavish Earth. Apparently the recent Etsy price increase pushed them to leave that platform and sell direct.

Paine - I roasted JSP's this AM, so my house smells so good. I'm glad your grandson got to see the osprey chicks. In the Bob and Brad link, Brad shows doing the calf raises the way you said you do them - incorporating the heel drop to get the full range of motion. I use a step topper versus a stair, but also love the heel drop.

Pam - I've also become a fan of Sue's rest assess method. I almost always experience a significant difference between the pre and post assessment.

I also hope Margot is OK.

I came across the Greysteel: Fitness After Fifty YT channel this morning and enjoyed this video about shooting down the 10 most common myths regarding weight training after 50. Check out the 92 year old near the end of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6pERdCRjo

One massive YT gripe - I'm so tired of click bait video titles! You click on something and the video is absolutely nothing like the title and frequently will actually be the exact opposite.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 11:42 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I love doing heel raises on my step topper so I can drop my heels below the step and that increases the intensity of the exercise (as Brad demonstrated). I did that calf exercise this morning.

Beth, our older son and his girlfriend just now came over so he wasn't working today! Also I found out that my younger son and his fiancé will be coming over this afternoon so it looks like we will have family here for dinner tonight.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 11:55 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine glad you got to see family today after all! Did you mean that first abs routine? That's another from Holly Dolke, the same instructor for the chair abs routine I posted last week. I can see the title and the instructor. However, I noticed that YT recently changed their formatting, so maybe it looks different on your screen and the title is harder to find?

cyana, I feel bad for you having to go back to work tomorrow. LOL, I agree about Leslie! I'm going to check out that Fitness Over Fifty video later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote