Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-22, 01:47 PM  
star117

I just cannot get the hang of rolling! but I know I need to do it and really want to. I have trouble holding myself up to do it. Any good dvds/videos for this? I hope Cathe includes a workout in her new series since she just added them to her equipment. (sorry to veer off topic!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 05:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Keli Roberts' Flexibility for the Inflexible is good:
https://www.amazon.com/Keli-Roberts-...ustomerReviews

Juliana Afram and Lawrence Bisconti have also been mentioned.

If you're re-starting on foam rollers, just lay on it with your spine lined up vertically on the roller. take the time to just balance on it in that position - no rolling at first, arms by your sides, knees bent and feet flat on the floor to balance yourself. then lift your arms up, pointing to the ceiling, doing 8 reps, very slowly. tighten your abs to keep your body steady. do a "body check" - how does your spine feel along the roller?

then stop.

in the beginning, you're just trying to attune your body to the roller.

do this over and over until your body is steady on the roller. this might happen in a few sessions or maybe more - ymmv.

next session, do the same thing except position the roller perpendicular to your spine lined up with your shoulder blades. have your knees bent so that you can balance the roller under your shoulder blades. just sit there and breathe and do a body check.

this again is just to orient yourself to balancing on it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 06:59 PM  
star117

Thank you!
Old 08-01-22, 07:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when you're ready to try new things, go to youtube. there's plenty of workouts on there for free for beginners thru advanced. better to try those before spending the money on DVDs until you've established a strong interest.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 07:34 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
I just cannot get the hang of rolling! but I know I need to do it and really want to. I have trouble holding myself up to do it. Any good dvds/videos for this? I hope Cathe includes a workout in her new series since she just added them to her equipment. (sorry to veer off topic!
Have you tried yoga blocks to help elevate? Really helps me when foam rolling.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 01:29 PM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Have you tried yoga blocks to help elevate? Really helps me when foam rolling.
good idea - thanks!

Tags
foam roller, foam rollers, foam rolling, melt method