Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-03-22, 09:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

2022 Decluttering Support and Motivation

Starting the thread for the new year.
This is a check in for us to report on our decluttering efforts and to seek advice and support. All are welcome.

I haven't really done anything this month yet but on my list of things to do is post some house paint on FB marketplace. I have a few quarts that I used to test color on my walls and I just used a very small amount of each can. Once we selected the color my husband got two gallons and we only needed one. Fortunately they are all pretty neutral colors so it should be easy to get rid of. I will probably give away the quarts but would like to get some money for the gallon.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 09:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'd like to join you all. I really need some accountability and motivation!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 09:57 AM  
Vantreesta

Leslie, thanks for starting the new thread!

Welcome, Pat!

I finally took down the Christmas tree last night. It has been standing there undecorated except a strand of lights around the base pole since I think Friday. I still have to bring in the tree and Olaf from the front porch and pack everything into the tubs and put away in the closet. I would like to go through everything to see if I can part with anything, but I also still have all the Halloween tubs to Tetris into the closet, and there are misc tubs in there I would like to go through first. It's times like these I wish I didn't get so attached to everything! So okay, bite size chunks, not big picture. Going through things and putting things away are two separate tasks so I need to look at it that way. I'll start working on it today. Everything is in the basement so it's not in our living space and it will take as long as it takes. Steady progress. (I'm trying out pep talk method. )

I bought an over the door shelf organizer thing to store some of my yarn. I need to finish filling it and see if I can clear out any storage off the floor. I bought an over the door plastic pocket shoe organizer and put as many workout capris and leggings in as would fit. I have some clothes drawer organizers in my Amazon cart that I am debating on. I'm looking for a good way to organize/store bras. I have a lot bc my cousin has given me a lot (barely worn). I used to hang them on hangers with hooks but I was afraid that might cause them to lose their shape. I would love to do smthg like how Victoria's Secret has the extras in drawers.

I corralled my boxes of teas into small plastic crates in the pantry so at least they're not falling out, but things are still messy in there.

I'm making a color coded list right now of what things I want to tackle this year! I am definitely the type of clutterbug where out of sight is out of mind but I also like clear and organized spaces.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 09:59 AM  
Vantreesta

Copying over my goals from the last thread.

I am setting some decluttering goals for 2022. So far I have:

Donate smthg to the thrift store each month

Read and donate 6 books for the year (I don't get to read often and many by favorite authors I want to keep, so this is to motivate me to read ones I don't plan to keep)

Finally get the spare room of dumping usable again and keep it that way, which will require finding better ways to store my yarn

Get my clothes and shoes organized and under control

Before each monthly big grocery trip, clean out fridge and pantry

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-04-22, 12:29 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been buying storage bins lately. I'm not sure that's good or bad, because it can be so tempting to just keep buying bins to hold ever more stuff.

My goals are organizational, though. My pantry has been a hot mess for ages and even though I do go through and weed out stuff that must go, things are not well organized. I'm thinking I'll go for broad categories, putting like items together, etc.

The bins I've bought are open top, so no lids to keep track of, and they are all either crystal clear or translucent.

I just wanted a bunch of these, which are out of stock in all the Walmarts anywhere near me. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...x-15/430879032 I provide the link in case anyone else has been hunting for something similar. The bin actually measures 15" x 10" x 9.5", I think there's a typo in the item headline.

Instead I wandered through two different Targets and got an assortment of other similarly large bins. Not sure how I'll deploy them, but I'm optimistic.
Old 01-04-22, 12:33 PM  
Sissy B

My first goal it to organize my Christmas ornaments when I take the Christmas trees down this weekend. I've been meaning to do it for years, but it just hasn't happened yet. I did make a start on it last year but only got to a certain point.

I did give my brother a Nativity that had been our mother's.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 12:55 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Leslie, Thanks for starting off the new thread!

I set a few specific goals for this year too. One is basically to maintain our recycling as well as reduce use of plastics. To continue to keep a thrift box going. The other more specific one is clothes!! I've been delaying this for years. Lots of very nice, basically new w/o tags, clothing that sort of fit but not really so they have never gotten worn. I'd like to at least try to sell some of them as well as donating to the thrift shop. It would be a really nice accomplishment to get this done.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 02:23 PM  
Vantreesta

Katie, I want to reduce the use of plastics too. I have been meaning to look into glass containers for food storage but just haven't yet.

I just got back from Walmart where I took 3 plastic sacks full of plastic sacks to put in their recycling bin. I would like to figure out how to use reusable shopping bags (I have quite a few) without it being such a hassle or getting to the checkout and realizing I left the bags in the cars. Anyone have any tips? I probably don't have enough for the big shopping trip once a month but I should for the in between times.

Old 01-04-22, 04:17 PM  
sciencelady

Thanks for starting off a thread for 2022!

This year is a tax donation year for me, so I dropped off a carload of household items at Goodwill this afternoon. They had been collected in my dining room corner for a year!

I'll have a number of items still to go this year. I'm trying to minimize my jewelry - some is pretty expensive stuff, so trying to decide whether to try to put it up for sale on FB or in a secondhand store. Also trying to decide on CDs, videotapes, and DVDs and trying to minimize those also - luckily I still have a working VCR and DVD player - a few of those movies are loved from the past and not easily available on TV reruns or feeds.

I'm just glad to get my first carload done today!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 07:38 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Leslie - thanks for getting us started!

I've made slow but fairly steady progress.
Sold three TTapp dvds on Ebay! Otherwise my ebay efforts have been unsuccessful, I setting a higher level for what I'm willing to post - if I don't think it will bring $30 I'm just going to have to send it to thred up.

Otherwise, cleaning out some paper files, clothes into donate bags, and we threw away some plastic containers - a victory since my husband doesn't like to throw things away unless they are broken and not repairable.
Vantreesta - we transitioning from plastic containers for food storage to glass but it's taking some time to get there.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating